Global Weirding: BBC Horizon

GoggleboxUK

Global Weirding: BBC Horizon

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Did anyone catch this programme about the global records being broken in weather terms?

Very interesting indeed!

It's on iPlayer here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... _Weirding/
Springy

Re: Global Weirding: BBC Horizon

Post by Springy »

No forgot all about it so I'll have to watch it on iplayer at the weekend!
Cheers for the reminder! icon_thumleft
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Interesting.

the fact that 2011 came in here as the highest annual mean on record is spectacular.

This winter has been much milder, but the year has started very mild.

I have to suggest that due to equilibrium, summer will be very cool, and very wet, there is almost no doubt about this.

We seem to be in a pattern whereby it will be difficult to exit in the next 20 years I feel.

So just as we got used to mild, wet winters and warm summer through the 90s into the 00s, we should now equally prepare for cool or cold, wet summers, and interchangeable cold/mild and dry winters/warm springs.

I think the pattern is set, and remarkably, I think the pattern will be quite stable for UK, I cannot see any change to the pattern in the forseeable future in climatic terms. What I can see is changeable, extreme weather continuing, as part of that stable climatic pattern.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Th Dutch definitely foresee wetter times ahead. Those 10,000,000 litre rainwater storage reservoirs they are building everywhere aren't just a whim.

When a Goverment of a country spends cash on weather defences you can almost guarantee there's a real threat.

I wonder whether the UK Government will do anything, other than fly in for a look and make a condolence speech I mean.