Below average for the forseeable future

Adam D

Re: Below average for the forseeable future

Post by Adam D »

It's cold, cloudy and windy up here at the moment. I was going to go out for a cycle, but this horrible weather drains me of motivation :(

They say that Scotland is supposed to have good weather in May. Aye, right. What a lot of pants that statement is!
billdango

Post by billdango »

The lowest maximum that I can remember in May was +4c back in 1985 I think.

The cold spell with bitter North Easterly winds went on for nearly a week.

The rest of the so called summer was just cold,wet,and windy.

That year central and eastern Europe had a blazing hot summer.

Repeat prescription Perhaps?

billdango. :( :( :( :(
billdango

Post by billdango »

That +4c maximum was in Southampton but I may be wrong about the year?

billdango icon_scratch icon_scratch icon_scratch icon_scratch
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

stephenprudence wrote:
All we seem to be talking about these days is broken records.. it's starting to sound a little like a 'broken record'. :roll: :lol:
:lol: :lol:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

The "improved" 5 or so days of better weather, does appear to be coming to a sharp halt with a high of 9*c on Saturday and a low of 2*c

I'm praying the week after is warmer again and this is just a 1-2 day forcast blip :bomb:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I have to stop reading these topics, as I am sure it is weakening my confidence in the weather I get here. I am delaying planting and growing based on subliminal messages on here. I need to do what I did for 20 odd years before I read forums..... go by gut instinct, and if I got it wrong I paid in plant damage :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by stephenprudence »

Dave, of course you don't have to take any notice of the stuff on here, it is discretionary. As for the weather, really, you have nothing t worry about now Dave, in terms of weather you can sit back and watch the garden grow.. it's up here in the north, it seems frosts could be back with vengeance next week.. even here on the coast!
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Not sure why anyone would go on gut and risk losing plants but fair play however you garden. Just to try and improve our weather related mood. Forget having to wait until June, we could be looking at a mini heatwave as early as late next week!!

http://www.jp2webdesign.co.uk/ds/gfs.htm
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Dave Brown wrote:I have to stop reading these topics, as I am sure it is weakening my confidence in the weather I get here. I am delaying planting and growing based on subliminal messages on here. I need to do what I did for 20 odd years before I read forums..... go by gut instinct, and if I got it wrong I paid in plant damage :wink:
Dave its just perception, April was just half a degree below average but felt 200 degrees below average. I bet if it was same temp but sunny everybody would have thought it was a warm month and not said anything.
This weekend if its sunny it will feel a lot warmer.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Tom2006 wrote:Not sure why anyone would go on gut and risk losing plants but fair play however you garden. Just to try and improve our weather related mood. Forget having to wait until June, we could be looking at a mini heatwave as early as late next week!!

tom the light in the dark bringer of heatwave news! can't wait icon_thumright
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

cordyman wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:Not sure why anyone would go on gut and risk losing plants but fair play however you garden. Just to try and improve our weather related mood. Forget having to wait until June, we could be looking at a mini heatwave as early as late next week!!

Actually 10 days out the weather switches to a long hot summer scenario if the model holds true
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Nigel wrote:
cordyman wrote:

Actually 10 days out the weather switches to a long hot summer scenario if the model holds true
Keep everything crossed folks!! icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
pdid

Post by pdid »

Tom2006 wrote:
Nigel wrote:
Keep everything crossed folks!! icon_thumleft
Looks good to me, cheers fella`s icon_thumright
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

I'll believe it when I see it on the thermometer
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Conifers wrote:I'll believe it when I see it on the thermometer
yeah thats the problem, when its bad weather 10 days out it holds true,when its good weather it always evaporates