Summer over ?

Nigel

Summer over ?

Post by Nigel »

Ah well it was too much to hope for...the long hot summer, with the blocking we had it was on, all that cold and then as June approaches,the heat was building up nicely , and now.... suddenly the atlantic is taking over again and the normal mobile weather is back just in time for the Jubilee.
Once the atlantic takes over as we know it can stay that way until September.
redsquirrel

Re: Summer over ?

Post by redsquirrel »

well dont just stand there,do something about it :lol: :lol:
cant you hack the models site and change them back again? pleeease. i was enjoying the sun
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

:cry:
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Too soon to say IMO.

The summer months may be atlantic dominated, but then again they may not.

Anyone who expects lengthy hot spells like the one we have just enjoyed all through the summer will be disappointed.

All things are relative though as westerly dominated weather is much more preferrable to northerly dominated.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

If we can average the high teens or above I will be happy. Looks terrible for the Jubilee weekend though. icon_thumbdown
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Can't believe I'm doing this but...it looks like its going to rain....... icon_cheers icon_cheers
jezza

Post by jezza »

It's not often that i actually want rain, but without the use of my sprinkler i am fed up of using a bloody watering can. Looks like mon, tues and wed are rainy for me next week. I hope it dries out for friday, i was hoping to go to wisley.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I need the rain, but would prefer to be on the warm side of the low, because they are tracking up through Biscay we are on the cold side, at least initially.

http://booty.org.uk/booty.weather/climate/1975_1999.htm
1975 (June):
1. SNOW and SLEET occurred in June as far south as the London area during the first few days of June 1975 (sleet as far south as Portsmouth). (also noted on 12th Jun 1791). The snow melted away almost immediately, except over the higher parts of central and northern England. This is thought to be the first time since July 1888, that snow has been reported so widely so far south in summer. More than 10 cm of FRESH SNOW over the highlands of Scotland. SNOW (circa 2.5cm/1 inch) stops play (subsequently abandoned) at a CRICKET MATCH [ Derbyshire v. Lancashire ] at Buxton, Derbyshire on the 2nd. (some GPE, Manley)
2. New LOWEST MINIMA were set at Kew (0.6 degC/4th ... with a grass minimum of (minus) 6 degC at this station) and Tynemouth (2.7 degC/2nd) for June.
3. A 'spectacular' CHANGE OF TYPE: Early unusually cold/northerly outbreak with snow/frost etc., with midday TEMPERATURE on the 2nd only 2 degC (see above) ..... then on 7th, MAXIMA 22 to 27 degC. Thought to have occurred only 3 times in the previous 100 years. Over the following week, maxima of at least 27 degC were recorded somewhere in Britain each day. On the 9th, 28.9 degC was recorded at Achnashellach, in the northwest Highlands of Scotland. This is possibly the HIGHEST authenticated temperature for June in Scotland.
1975 (Summer):
1. For England and Wales, it was one of the six WARMEST of the century (to that date): with 1911, 1933, 1947, 1949 and 1959.
1975 (14th August): THE HAMPSTEAD STORM
A very localised, but exceptional heavy convective storm led to rainfall of some 170mm in approximately 2.5 hours. It occurred during a notable heat-wave, and is thought to be the highest intensity of rainfall in 100 years. One person was drowned and cars floated along roads. Studies after this storm led to greater understanding of what have become to be known as 'super-cell' (or self-propagating) storms.
1975 (Annual):
1. A notably DRY year across England and Wales (using the EWP series).
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

We are used to not a lot of summer sun, couple of weeks if we are lucky,

I will say we have had it now apart from the odd days.

I am like Jez and hate cans of water...more rain after tuesday please.

:mrgreen:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Well, something is happening regarding the forecasting.

The BBC had me down for a maximum of 14c today and yet it's 21.5 at the moment and was definitely warmer when I got out of the movies earlier today.

Yesterday's forecast was 15c and we got 15.4 max.

If the rest of the week matches today then the 12c they are predicting for Sunday could well be another 20+.

Maybe the magnetics are starting to go awry already?
kata

Post by kata »

Wunderground

7-Day Weather Forecast for Wigan
Friday, 1

21 | 11 °C
Chance of Rain
Chance of
Precipitation
60%
Saturday, 2

20 | 9 °C
Chance of Rain
Chance of
Precipitation
40%
Sunday, 3

16 | 6 °C
Rain
Chance of
Precipitation
80%
Monday, 4

18 | 7 °C
Chance of Rain
Chance of
Precipitation
40%
Tuesday, 5

18 | 8 °C
Overcast
Chance of
Precipitation

icon_cheers icon_cheers
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Even 'by my standards' this thread is very negative. Historically, in a time of average weather conditions, June is often the wettest, and coolest month of the summer in the British isles. It is widely know as the 'June Monsoon' period. This is due to the warm moist airmasses of the subtropical jet, pushing northwards against the cool airmasses of the polar front jet, often creating a transitionary period of cooler, wetter weather, characterised by generally cool days, periods of showery, heavy rain and high humidity. Towards the end of June we should see high pressure becoming a player again.

Even in the years of 2003 and 2006, a good portion of June was a washout. June 1995 was often cool, sometimes wet, and dominated by northerly winds.
jezza

Post by jezza »

stephenprudence wrote: Towards the end of June we should see high pressure becoming a player again.

I sincerely hope so or 70 people at my 40th b'day party are getting wet :shock:
billdango

Post by billdango »

Even down here on the south coast it often rains a lot in June.

In fact good Junes are rare even in Southampton.

On the plus side its often quite sunny here but can be windy as well.

Next week seems reasonable for Southampton but Sunday might be a bit wet.

rgds billdango. :D :D :D :D