Summer over ?

jezza

Re: Summer over ?

Post by jezza »

Dave Brown wrote::

It's my birthday in early June so I tend to remember what the weather is like, and more often than not, it's cool and showery.
So we can blame you for the weather dave :lol:
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Todays temperatures range from around 7C across inland northeast areas, to around 8-9C generally across northern England, then 9-12C across central southern England, and finally 12-17C across the extreme south of England (Dorset and Southampton areas). So not cold everywhere, but those 7C across northeast England area at least 5C below average for the time of year.

Here's it is currently 10C but expected to dive sharply as the cold, arctic air follows in behind the rain.... there's is therefore a risk of frost tonight in part of Northern England (and perhaps) the North Midlands.
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

stephenprudence wrote:So not cold everywhere, but those 7C across northeast England area at least 5C below average for the time of year.
Almost 11 degrees lower then average over here right now! Possible cold records will be broken today.
flounder

Post by flounder »

We've got broken cloud, occasional misty rain, light winds and temps 16-19c at the moment, so I'd say a typical early June day
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

stephenprudence wrote:Todays temperatures range from around 7C across inland northeast areas, to around 8-9C generally across northern England, then 9-12C across central southern England, and finally 12-17C across the extreme south of England (Dorset and Southampton areas). So not cold everywhere, but those 7C across northeast England area at least 5C below average for the time of year.

Here's it is currently 10C but expected to dive sharply as the cold, arctic air follows in behind the rain.... there's is therefore a risk of frost tonight in part of Northern England (and perhaps) the North Midlands.
Duh :?: icon_scratch

It's 13.5° here now, with spells of hazy sun and very little wind. Not too bad (well, yes obviously I'd prefer 19°, but it isn't the 7 or 8° you're claiming!).
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Conifers wrote:
stephenprudence wrote:Todays temperatures range from around 7C across inland northeast areas, to around 8-9C generally across northern England, then 9-12C across central southern England, and finally 12-17C across the extreme south of England (Dorset and Southampton areas). So not cold everywhere, but those 7C across northeast England area at least 5C below average for the time of year.

Duh :?: icon_scratch

It's 13.5° here now, with spells of hazy sun and very little wind. Not too bad (well, yes obviously I'd prefer 19°, but it isn't the 7 or 8° you're claiming!).
8C here and it has been heavy rain all day! icon_thumbdown
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
stephenprudence

Conifers, learning to read might do you some good you know? I said inland northeast areas, not coastal northeast areas... come on man! Besides your one off 13C doesn't reflect the north of England as a whole!
Last edited by stephenprudence on Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

End of summer? It has not even started yet has it. A week or just over is hardly a summer more like a warm up. I said late last year and early this year that we would have a warm not hot and wet summer with wind again. Ok rain hasnt really been right but the rest has just about. :lol:
flounder

Post by flounder »

Sorry Stephen, I'm with the illiterate side, where did you say inland? :D
flounder

Post by flounder »

Found it! :lol:
jezza

Post by jezza »

12c max and heavy showers. Had a few breaks in the rain so i have been able to go outside. Grass has certainly gone green.
stephenprudence

List of the coldest maximums today and the warmest maximums.

Top coldest:

Cairngorm Mtns (1245 m) -1.0 °C
Aonach Mor (1130 m) 3.0 °C
Great Dun Fell (847 m) 3.0 °C
Cairnwell (933 m) 4.0 °C
Bealach na Bà (773 m) 5.0 °C
Leeds and Bradford (AP) (208 m) 7.0 °C
Leeds Bradford (207 m) 7.0 °C
Glen Ogle (564 m) 7.0 °C
Bingley (267 m) 7.0 °C
Lake Vyrnwy (359 m) 8.0 °C
Shap (249 m) 8.0 °C
Scampton (57 m) 9.0 °C
Linton-On-Ouse (14 m) 9.0 °C
Crosby (9 m) 9.0 °C
Waddington (68 m) 9.0 °C
Nottingham/Watnall (117 m) 9.0 °C
Rhyl (76 m) 9.0 °C
Blackpool (AP) (10 m) 9.0 °C

Top Warmest:

Charlwood (58 m) 16.0 °C
Jersey (AP) (84 m) 16.0 °C
Boscombe Down (126 m) 17.0 °C
Thorney Island (3 m) 17.0 °C
Solent MRSC (13 m) 17.0 °C
Lyneham (147 m) 17.0 °C
Southamptom (AP) (9 m) 17.0 °C
Larkhill (133 m) 17.0 °C
Odiham (118 m) 17.0 °C
Yeovilton (20 m) 17.0 °C
Herstmonceux (52 m) 17.0 °C
Filton (59 m) 17.0 °C
Shoreham (AP) (2 m) 17.0 °C
Bournemouth (10 m) 18.0 °C
Exeter (AP) (30 m) 18.0 °C
Middle Wallop (91 m)

Bear in mind, many of the maximums occurred in the morning, and many have dropped. Leeds for example is now 6C, and Crosby is now 8C.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Its 7.7 here in wet Wakefield
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Down to 6c here Still raining!!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

stephenprudence wrote:Conifers, learning to read might do you some good you know? I said inland northeast areas, not coastal northeast areas... come on man! Besides your one off 13C doesn't reflect the north of England as a whole!
I'm approx 15 km inland :wink: and on an NE wind at this time of year, it is always warmer inland than on the coast (not seen figures for today, but I'd expect it to have been around 12° on the coast here, and 14, maybe 15, well inland here (e.g. Hexham / Haltwhistle).