Storm warning to all forum members?

Tom2006

Re: Storm warning to all forum members?

Post by Tom2006 »

yep...looking very wet again! icon_thumbdown

Should start to settle and warm from the 19th ish. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
eddie

Post by eddie »

Yorkshire Kris wrote: I feel for you. Its very very frustrating and upsetting when that happens.
Thanks, still have the pictures of the nana when it was 12 feet high top to bottom :)
Conifers wrote:Must happen to Basjoos a lot in Japan when they're hit by typhoons. So I'd assume they're adapted to survive breakages like that.
I hope it will grow back..I saw a green bit sticking out this morning...thumbs up! When there is good news I'll post a pic

Loads of rain predicted for tomorrow and the weekend here. Nice today with sunny skies, a bit chilly and windy at 15C. The wind is normal for here, around force 5

drunken_smilie1
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
maritimesbob

Post by maritimesbob »

I was away last week when the storm struck down here. Came home a few days later to find my Musas and Cannas shredded, some snapped. Also lost a 6ft Cordyline, the wind had pulled up and broken the roots. Lost a lot of recently planted out cosmos and dalhias too.. Sad times!

Today, yet another December-like day of gales and rain. What an awful period of weather. Spend all day at work, come home and spend all evening indoors because of rain. The great British climate!
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Sad to hear you have lost so much!! It really has been a terrible March to June overall. Lets just pray that July to September more than makes up for things. Certainly settling down next week in terms of the wind, although temperatures look only to be average and likely to be lots of heavy showers around at times, although I don't mind that if it warms up a bit and the wind drops.
billdango

Post by billdango »

Another day of strong winds and heavy showers here in Southampton.

We actually had an hour of sun today but that was it.

Pouring down most of last night as well adding to the monthly deluge total.

I hope July and August are better then this Month but I have a horrible feeling that nothing will change.

If you want warmth and sunshine go to Spain or Eastern Europe its still very hot there.

billdango :(
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

It`s very depressing when we spend so much time and money trying to create a little bit of paradise in our gardens only to have it all trashed by a storm.In what`s supposed to be Summer!!! :shock: I certainly feel sometimes like i`m fighting a losing battle with everything. Just when u`ve spent months and months nurturing your plants through freezing temperatures and low light levels you un-cover them and/or put them outside only to have them succumb to yet more bad weather. :twisted: The wind is forever a problem in my garden. I can`t grow a Pheonix palm because of the wind totally trashing them and i was about to give up on growing Basjoos for the same reason.The winds last year just blew my basjoos stems in half. This spring ,however, i decided to plant out about a dozen basjoos all very close together. Because they`re all so close together they`ve managed to stay completely intact through all the storms we`ve had lately. So there`s always a way!!! And i for one won`t give up and let our cruddy weather beat me.
So i`m officially as mad as the rest of you!! :lol:
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Conifers wrote:Must happen to Basjoos a lot in Japan when they're hit by typhoons. So I'd assume they're adapted to survive breakages like that.
I shouldn't imagine so because they don't really grow in Japan, they grow in China. They're also probably all clones of a 100+ year old seedling (the one which was propagated here in the 19th century).
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Wet 'n' gusty in the Welsh Deep South .

Not very encouraged to go and do something outside today

Ma's got some possum belly and grits on the go so might just sit a spell and linger..... :D
Last edited by Arlon Tishmarsh on Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Yesterday was windy here, but not as bad as the previous windy spell. Perhaps 30 minutes of rain and 6 hours of sunshine, with a high of 19C (Wunderground).

Today is looking similar to yesterday.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Cool grey skies here rain this morning early on. Can't wait for it to settle next week
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

otorongo wrote:Yesterday was windy here, but not as bad as the previous windy spell. Perhaps 30 minutes of rain and 6 hours of sunshine, with a high of 19C (Wunderground).

Today is looking similar to yesterday.
We had about the same and for me, it was a pretty good day. I was even standing out in the rain grinning at one point, since it was sunny at the same time!

It is sunny and windy again this morning but nothing too damaging. icon_thumleft
jezza

Post by jezza »

It's chesham carnival today and the wind is wreaking havoc with the decorations on the floats :lol:
billdango

Post by billdango »

Very strong winds in Southampton today with heavy rain showers.

Gusts of at least 50mph in my garden doing even more damage.

Some of the leaves on my palms have been ripped clean off so I don't know how the rest of you are coping but is pretty bad down here in Southampton.

This reminds me of the summers from the sixties and seventies when it was always blowing a hooly.

rgds billdango :( :( :( :(
flounder

Post by flounder »

No rain yet but strong gusty winds more aggravating than destructive
Kerinsian

Post by Kerinsian »

Massive winds and monsoon type rains here from Thursday until now when it seems to have finally stopped, though how long for is yet to be seen!

Apart from everyone here the people I feel quite sorry for are the 20 thousand students attending a festie at the country park, they must be completely freezing and soaked.