Weather Records 2012

GoggleboxUK

Weather Records 2012

Post by GoggleboxUK »

In March 2012, 15,000 warm temperature records broken in the US. See HERE

Also, the January through March period of 2012 was the warmest first quarter of the year on record. Records date back to 1895 in both cases.

Here in the UK this year has seen the third warmest March since records began and the wettest April for 100 years.

By the looks of things we could be setting new records for wettest June too.

What other records do you think will fall this year?
stephenprudence

Re: Weather Records 2012

Post by stephenprudence »

I think some places could set the coldest maximum in locations on record, in June.. however March was exceptionally warm.. the world itself continues to be well above the average mean.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

It seems the world only does record breaking extremes now! As you say Stephen the world is running well above the average temperature mean this year. In fact if you look in the northern hemisphere, the cold pool is pretty much just over us at the moment....virtually straight from the arctic! :evil: :evil:
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Yes the this is what the Earth does when it tries to restore an equilibrium.. it must maintain some kind of equilibirum.. to remain within a climate cycle, it literally has a quota.. and at the moment the system is producing extremes to keep the equilibrium. When you have too much of an extreme though it can either result in runaway warming until the next ice age occurs. It is not inconceivable we could be in the midst of a dramatic warming episode, (some of which in history saw the Arctic covered in subtropical forest), before the next ice age comes along.

If it wasn't for the incredible strong winds, I think it would be possibly to grow deciduous broadleaf trees around the southern coasts of Greenland now.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

stephenprudence wrote:If it wasn't for the incredible strong winds, I think it would be possibly to grow deciduous broadleaf trees around the southern coasts of Greenland now.
Betula pubescens is a deciduous broadleaf tree and is native to Greenland, so they already do (and long have done) icon_thumright
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I dont think June will be below average by very much, it will surely warm up next week and this weather is not so unusual.
I was a fishing nut before I got into palms and the 16th June is a big day as its 1st day of fishing season. I can remember the times I sat there in cold wet rain with sleet and hailstones. June can bring cold blasts as winter still has not retreated so far north.
Adrian Brattle

Post by Adrian Brattle »

Tom2006 wrote:It seems the world only does record breaking extremes now! As you say Stephen the world is running well above the average temperature mean this year. In fact if you look in the northern hemisphere, the cold pool is pretty much just over us at the moment....virtually straight from the arctic! :evil: :evil:

March global temperatures were coolest since 1999. Although I am abit suspicious of NOAA as it gov.com. http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/summary-i ... bal/2012/3
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Adrian Brattle wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:It seems the world only does record breaking extremes now! As you say Stephen the world is running well above the average temperature mean this year. In fact if you look in the northern hemisphere, the cold pool is pretty much just over us at the moment....virtually straight from the arctic! :evil: :evil:

March global temperatures were coolest since 1999. Although I am abit suspicious of NOAA as it gov.com. http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/summary-i ... bal/2012/3
That doesn't exactly make it cold though does it, cold relative to all the global warming :lol:
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.