Looking southeast might hold some clues to the weather ahead

stephenprudence

Looking southeast might hold some clues to the weather ahead

Post by stephenprudence »

Since we started in this pattern about 6 years ago, I've noticed the similarities between the UK, and New Zealand in their respective seasons, relatively, of course. Last summer, New Zealand received, in general a fairly wet, cool summer, with parts of the north not receiving over 25C for the entire summer.. a feat thought impossible by many Aucklanders I'm sure. However I have noticed there seems to be a loose correlation between NZ summers, and UK summer, and a little less correlation for winter to winter. This has only really occurred in the current global pattern though, so it would be wrong to say if there is a correlation it is long term.

If we take NZ summer last year as an example, then if the correlation has any grounding at all (which is possible because of the N-S movement of the sea/air currents through the seasons), then we should expect a rather cool, wet summer, followed by a cold frosty start to the winter. We will see.

This isn't proof of a correlation, just one to keep an eye out for, it could be coincidence that the last 5 years or so UK and NZ seasonal weather has relatively mirrored itself..
The Codfather

Re: Looking southeast might hold some clues to the weather a

Post by The Codfather »

Great icon_cheers icon_cheers

:(
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
billdango

Post by billdango »

Thats an interesting discussion there Steven?

The climate of Southern England and NZ are in parts very similar esp compared to the the South Island weather regime.

I lived for awhile in Dunedin and also I stayed for a time right down on the Southern tip of NZ in the small Town of Riverton.

Both places can be cold,wet and windy even during the Summer months and in fact I found that here in Southampton we actually get more sun and higher Summer temperatures then most of that part of the Southlands.

I suppose looking at the charts for both Countries the warmest and sunniest spots in NZ are the City of Nelson and most of North Island excluding the City of Wellington which is even wetter and windier the my City of Southampton.

Some parts of the Coasts of South Island and most of North Island get over 2.000 hours of sun anually but the average for most of NZ seems to be between 1.700 and 2.400. hours which is quite good really for an oceanic climate.

I would like to point out that heavy snow can fall in many parts of the Southlands in Winter and in Dunedin we often had some quite hard frosts but on saying this the extreme South Coast of the UK and many parts of Southern NZ are very similar.

rgds billdango icon_thumleft
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

I know what you are getting at Stephen and it's true they had a very wet summer but I was there in April and the climate is nothing like England!
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

I meant the relative patterns rather than the climate itself. In other words, recently, if they have a below average summer, we seem to follow suit etc etc.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

The same could be said of Canada though.