Potential early warning (better to be safe than sorry)

stephenprudence

Potential early warning (better to be safe than sorry)

Post by stephenprudence »

This really for those in the west and central areas of the entire United Kingdom.

The charts have been showing the potential for an easterly (long lasting type) for a while now, the pattern strikes me as very similar to December 2010. That is easterly to northeasterly, but slack, with potential for some heavy snow and exceptionally cold temperatures.

Given what happened in 2010 and regardless of whether or not it happens, it might be an idea to be prepared for this scenario, with regards to plant protection etc.

You can dismiss this if you want but I don't think it's the best course of action.

As I found out in 2010, a wait and see attitude can wipe out large swathes of your garden.
jezza

Re: Potential early warning (better to be safe than sorry)

Post by jezza »

It can do what it likes, i've been prepared for over a month. Just a bit of fleece around a cordy on the coldest nights and that's it. I deliberately planted out only plants that are bulletproof, the rest stays in pots and into the heated greenhouse or indoors.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

When are we talking about?

I'm moving at the end of this week hopefully, everything is in pots, so I'm hoping it's after the move, or even better, the cold snap doesn't materialise....
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks Stevie!

icon_cheers
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

will it affect the south?
flounder

Post by flounder »

I wouldn't worry too much Jack. Last time Sompting saw a touch of frost was when David Jason had a beer in the Merry Monk :wink:
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Comparing to 2010 is a bit premature , that type of weather at end november is very common. I dont see anything to cause alarm, I wont be worrying as long as I see low pressure to west of iceland. I see a cold dry spell that is not particularly severe , thats all right now.
Of course it could develop.... hope not because I have more to lose than anybody. I dont see the link to 2010 though ?
stephenprudence

The Synoptics shown are similar to 2010, which, it should be noted, started without a significant Greenland high. We can't say it is like 2010 until it has or hasn't occurred but that's not what's being said. I'd be surprised if this spell of cold weather didn't happen.. I think it more about preparations and making sure our gardens are ok than worrying about accuracy of forecasts.. I'm well past that.. I don't cate if it turns out I'm wrong.. But I do want a garden next summer :-)
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Stephen you know these guys always paint a grim picture , I dont see how 2010 can repeat as long as the jetstream isnt blocked off. I remember many nasty cold spells at end of November , this is perfectly normal for the Uk weather pattern. High pressure to the east can be good as well as bad , and I dont see it as bad in November. If it was January or February that setup would worry me a bit more.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Some
Nigel wrote:Comparing to 2010 is a bit premature , that type of weather at end november is very common. I dont see anything to cause alarm, I wont be worrying as long as I see low pressure to west of iceland. I see a cold dry spell that is not particularly severe , thats all right now.
Of course it could develop.... hope not because I have more to lose than anybody. I dont see the link to 2010 though ?
Some nice new rarities on your website. Pity I'm currently banned from buying.
Hope the weather remains as it is.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I think it is funny that ever since 2010,there have been constant panics about super cold returning. :roll:

It's just the daily cold ramping. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Dave Brown wrote:I think it is funny that ever since 2010,there have been constant panics about super cold returning. :roll:

It's just the daily cold ramping. :roll:
I preferred it before then too, when I could leave small CIDPs outside unprotected.
stephenprudence

Well if you can't try and help other people out without being criminalized then I wont be doing this again.

The sad thing is, I'm not even doing this to say look at my forecasting skills, I'm doing it because people on here have gardens like me, and like me people have lost stuff.. I feel for those people.. however when you get it shoved back in your face by a certain few without pedantry and the like, well it's not worth doing

:roll:

Good luck with the winter!
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

stephenprudence wrote:Well if you can't try and help other people out without being criminalized then I wont be doing this again.

The sad thing is, I'm not even doing this to say look at my forecasting skills, I'm doing it because people on here have gardens like me, and like me people have lost stuff.. I feel for those people.. however when you get it shoved back in your face by a certain few without pedantry and the like, well it's not worth doing

:roll:

Good luck with the winter!
:shock: Hope it wasnt me who offended you ... the way I read your post was that it was being said on your weather forums , no offence intended aainst you , I know your post was well intentioned, and i enjoy your input very much.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I don't think I offended you?