The April 2013 discussion thread

cordyman

The April 2013 discussion thread

Post by cordyman »

The March thread was great, so thought we should continue the trend and discuss all things April.

To start the thread off on a positive note, i've had my first *after work 6pm peanut butter on toast with a Latte in the garden* of the year. :lol: 8*c and quite pleasant. So the average temps in comparison, once they arrive, are going to feel so good on the skin after this prolonged cold rut.

Shame everything is still wrapped up!

A sign of things to come...

Let April discussion commence icon_thumleft
MikeC

Re: The April 2013 discussion thread

Post by MikeC »

Sunny here today but the wind was raw, made it feel sub zero and not pleasant at all.

icon_thumbdown
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

I cant believe how weak that sun looks! :shock:

Sorry Cordy I know theres meant to be a hopeful spring type message in that shot but I just shivered a little when I saw that. I dont know how you people do it...I really dont icon_salut
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I had my first proper garden session this afternoon. Only two hours but managed to mulch a third of my boarders and manure spread around my Phylo Nigro. Also re-seeded an area of lawn that had completely died icon_scratch ....also cut down and poisoned a rogue bamboo (name not known) that is running for Australia! Felt great BUT so much more to get done. Lets hope we have many more days like today...only warmer. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Ooooooh, the pain!! First cut of the year nearly done for me :ahhh!:
Popped pain relief so away with the fairies for a couple of hours. took dog out this evening in a blizzard :roll:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Troppoz wrote:I cant believe how weak that sun looks! :shock:

Sorry Cordy I know theres meant to be a hopeful spring type message in that shot but I just shivered a little when I saw that. I dont know how you people do it...I really dont icon_salut
well it was 6pm Sean, and only 8*c, but your right the sun is pitifully weak :cry: Well over half the temp of this time last year here.

Tom2006 wrote:I had my first proper garden session this afternoon. Only two hours but managed to mulch a third of my boarders and manure spread around my Phylo Nigro. Also re-seeded an area of lawn that had completely died icon_scratch ....also cut down and poisoned a rogue bamboo (name not known) that is running for Australia! Felt great BUT so much more to get done. Lets hope we have many more days like today...only warmer. icon_thumleft

Its promising being able to at last venture out and start getting stuff done again! I've so many jobs and ideas I want to get cracking with this year, but I won't be content till i've raked all the leaves/rubbish off the borders and unwrapped everything :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Sun was completley absent - Max temp 3.5C - NE wind gusting to 30mph -Windchill -5.4C - No gardening done today - Cats wouldn't go out. Getting thoroughy, thoroughly hacked off with this.

Exotic gardening aside, everyone is complaining about the 5th winter month starting here.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Tom2006 »

Dave Brown wrote:Sun was completley absent - Max temp 3.5C - NE wind gusting to 30mph -Windchill -5.4C - No gardening done today - Cats wouldn't go out. Getting thoroughy, thoroughly hacked off with this.

Exotic gardening aside, everyone is complaining about the 5th winter month starting here.
Just another week Dave, in fact probably not even a week. Its really been a tough one this past 12-18 months.
dorothy

Post by dorothy »

Dave sounds like you have had the worst weather compared to alot of us this winter.I really feel for you.Hopefully another few days, things might pick up :wink:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Sunny today but he wind made it too cold to do anything in the garden.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

You know its serious when the cats won't go out :o

My two usually wake me up at 6am on the dot, like they've never been fed, then want letting out with utmost urgency.

630am scratching on the patio door "its too cold daddy let us in again" :lol:
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

Yes I am finally starting to feel more positive about the weather Dorothy as things are feeling and getting warmer round here. Dave I do feel for you as you must be getting thoroughly hacked of with the horrible weather your still seeing while it is starting to pick up elsewhere round the country but your weather must follow suit soon, how is your 7 day forecast (or 11 day) looking ?
billdango

Post by billdango »

Another freezing cold day here in Southampton with a strong north east wind [whats new?]and only short sunny spells.

It only got to +5c today compared to +9c yesterday so I didn't do to much in the garden.

It's so cold in the wind that any time spent mowing or digging becomes almost impossible after a while.

But at least no exotics seem to have been damaged down here so far so that;s something to be thankful for.

billdango :(
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Lets hope this chart verifies! icon_thumleft icon_thumleft

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Reem2401.gif
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Tom2006 wrote:Lets hope this chart verifies! icon_thumleft icon_thumleft

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Reem2401.gif

icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft low pressure finally over greenland?