HOT Weather

billdango

Re: HOT Weather

Post by billdango »

Yet another hot day here in Southampton with a City center recording of +31c.

Its still +30c now as no sea breeze has kicked in today so I am sat in my side entrance enjoying a cold beer and scratching my mossie bites.

It will be slightly cooler over the next few days but the blue skies will carry on I think.

Next week boiling again?

billdango icon_sunny
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Looking at the forecast and the weather does not look like it is going to change soon.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

fern Rob wrote:Looking at the forecast and the weather does not look like it is going to change soon.
Changes up here tomorrow as the wind goes around to the north east and the temperature drops 8+ degrees, sigh!
flounder

Post by flounder »

Anybody had to do a 24hour ABPM? Let me tell you they're a right PITA when you're hot and sweaty :evil:
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

ourarka wrote:I remember when we were all shivering back in March, that many people said if it had been July then we would be baking. So is the current setup anything similar to what brought us that freezing weather in early Spring?
Well its still a sort of blokade. That high pressure is almost not moving, hence the hot weather in the UK, and also good weather downhere. Next week that high will move a bit to the northeast and then it will get hotter here also. Well we are finely lucky with this gorgeous weather!

Alexander
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Looking cold from the 26th on, a steep drop to 24C and then possibly down to even 20C :( Crazy European weather :roll: Hope we get some rain at least.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

27.5C currently, not sure it'll reach 30C today, Im pretty sure it won't, but RAF Woodvale is currently circa 29C
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

[quote="otorongo"]Looking cold from the 26th on, a steep drop to 24C and then possibly down to even 20C :( Crazy European weather :roll: Hope we get some rain

Cold?....the low to mid 20Cs would be perfect especially with the mild nights. Perfect fpr us and our plants.

As for why this is happening it appears to all be linked to the huge changes in the jet stream which globally is all ovet the place and is why places are seeing records smashed. ....nothing to do with global warming or climate change though. :wink:
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

OK, I may have exaggerated, cool is a better description.
Yes, the nights should still be mild. Good for our plants, especially if we get some rain. Maybe not so good for the Mediterranean kind (or us humans), but the tropicals should be happy.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

otorongo wrote:Looking cold from the 26th on, a steep drop to 24C and then possibly down to even 20C :( Crazy European weather :roll: Hope we get some rain
Cold in summer is 14° or lower. 20° is very nice and warm.
Tom2006 wrote:As for why this is happening it appears to all be linked to the huge changes in the jet stream which globally is all ovet the place and is why places are seeing records smashed. ....nothing to do with global warming or climate change though. :wink:
Huge changes in the jet stream is climate change :wink:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Conifers wrote:
otorongo wrote:Looking cold from the 26th on, a steep drop to 24C and then possibly down to even 20C :( Crazy European weather :roll: Hope we get some rain
Cold in summer is 14° or lower. 20° is very nice and warm.
Tom2006 wrote:As for why this is happening it appears to all be linked to the huge changes in the jet stream which globally is all ovet the place and is why places are seeing records smashed. ....nothing to do with global warming or climate change though. :wink:
All of june here was pretty much around 20. And with high sun its anything but cool lol

So as long as we dont drop to 14 I dont think we can complain!!! Also if it stays dry absolute bonus.
rburrena

Post by rburrena »

A high 20C will feel cold now as we have got used to the good weather. I stepped outside yesterday evening into a breezy 23C and it felt chilly.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Conifers wrote: Cold in summer is 14° or lower. 20° is very nice and warm.
And is natural climate change as this was what brought about the end of the Mayan civilisation, as well. There were a series of devastating droughts as shown by sediment cores from the Cariaco Basin off northern Venezuela. These droughts seem to coincide with recorded cold spells in Europe, and suggest the northern edge of the tropical jet did not come as far north in summer, depriving the Mayans of their summer wet season. The limestone pavement geology meant water had to be stored, and if the summer rains failed for more than a couple of years, they were in trouble.
http://news.nationalgeographic.co.uk/ne ... ought.html
If the jets are on the move again, we could end up with this type of weather in summer, but shudder to think what winter will bring :roll: The clarity of the sky today is like December 2010.
Attachments
2013-07-19 12-03-42 BG West border panorama.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by stephenprudence »

Amazingly it reached 30.8C today... Warmest since 2006 and first 30C since May 2010
jezza

Post by jezza »

It's got to 30c or more every day this week It will actually be nice to have the forecasted cooler weather this weekend.