Frost - SUB ZERO 2013/14 discussion

cordyman

Re: Frost - SUB ZERO 2013/14 discussion

Post by cordyman »

it sounds worse when you say its 9 saturdays away :lol: :lol: :lol:
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

First 0C for me last year for 1st Dec - it then stayed around that for 15 days off and on. Top 1 inch of soil was solid and I could not plant a bare root hedge I remember clearly. Then it got pretty mild till mid January.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Were in a strange situation here, normally we gets strong wind in a southwesterly air flow, but surprisingly it's calm, completely calm which almost never happens in that wind direction. Anyhow as a result the temperature is dropping like a stone (currently 8.7C in comparison to everywhere else which is well into double figures). I dont envisage a frost tonight, but there is the chance of a ground frost by dawn. Very unusual, given the setup.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

No chance of a frost for you Stephen.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Not air frost no, but should it stay clear until dawn tomorrow the first ground frost is possible. It's a big ask though, as it will require no cloud to occur until dawn.. possible but unlikely.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Cant see any sort of frost mate. icon_thumleft
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I'd always err on the side of caution when telling others what their local weather will, or won't, do.... or you could get a Michael Fish reputation if you get it wrong :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I got down to 0.7 last week! Every other day ha had lows of around 7-11c.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Dave Brown wrote:I'd always err on the side of caution when telling others what their local weather will, or won't, do.... or you could get a Michael Fish reputation if you get it wrong :lol:
Unless you can see it in the weather model's at the time....plus I consulted Mr fish first!
kata

Post by kata »

Bit cool at 7C, and windy.
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

Tonight could be a contender even here, I certainly be surprised if its not the coldest night since spring, 6.1c last week is the benchmark. Although we have had a rash of showers today and if it continues then frost is unlikely.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Tom2006 wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:I'd always err on the side of caution when telling others what their local weather will, or won't, do.... or you could get a Michael Fish reputation if you get it wrong :lol:
Unless you can see it in the weather model's at the time....plus I consulted Mr fish first!
The models don't work for local conditions, they will only ever tell you an overview. Met office covers itself by saying min 8C in towns and cities, but could be a frost in prone spots.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by harryc »

Looks like we might get close tonight. Already down to 5.5C here.

H
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Dave Brown wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:
The models don't work for local conditions, they will only ever tell you an overview. Met office covers itself by saying min 8C in towns and cities, but could be a frost in prone spots.
You know what I mean Dave. Ironically i am one of the first the warn about an impending frost whereas you often poo poo it icon_scratch .Did you get a frost Stephen?
billdango

Post by billdango »

Nothing here yet in my part of Southampton and tonight only +8c minimum is forcast.

The problem is that i live in a valley 2 miles from the city center and i often record a frost when Southampton center is still quite a few degrees above freezing?

Some times there can be a difference of as much as 3c between my garden and the amateur weather recorders garden on the top of the hill.

Many times over the last 3 winters I recorded -4c in my garden while my friend on the hill was just at freezing point.

In the summer however my garden is often warmer and less windy then his garden.

The same applies to my garden and the one in St denys.

Thats why I have problems trying to grow Phoenix canariensis_CIDP palms here as in this frost hollow it just won't work.

billdango icon_sunny