Frost - SUB ZERO 2013/14 discussion

Kristen

Re: Frost - SUB ZERO 2013/14 discussion

Post by Kristen »

Had a grass frost (that is to say that the water droplets on the grass were frozen) on Wednesday morning.

My Weather stations said Min was 3.9C and Dew Point 1.9C - what is the "measure" I should use for a grass frost - assuming I am not up in tome to do a feel-test on the grass 8)
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Kristen wrote:Had a grass frost (that is to say that the water droplets on the grass were frozen) on Wednesday morning.

My Weather stations said Min was 3.9C and Dew Point 1.9C - what is the "measure" I should use for a grass frost - assuming I am not up in tome to do a feel-test on the grass 8)
The temperature at ground level I guess?
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

stephenprudence wrote:.. unusual situation whereby central Europe gets less frosts than us, at least in early winter, as the continental landmass is really warm for the time of year, and I think at least until late December, the British Isles will record more frosts than Germany.
I was speaking to some colleagues in today and it was 20C and 'like spring' with people in t-shirts. They normally have their winter coats on now.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Nigel wrote:During the mild years, it was not unusual for Bizzy Lizzies to remain in flower until christmas. This current weather simply cannot be better for a mild outlook, it doesnt get any better than this, and it sticks around.
The danger period is last week of November when traditionally the first cold spell of winter hits. Until then I think it will stay exceptionally mild.

Here here!!!
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

otorongo wrote:The temperature at ground level I guess?
Admittedly I'm not recording that :) but is it likely that there is a 4C difference between ground level and weather station on a 7' pole?

No sign of frost on the Exotics, which have tree canopy cover, so it must be radiation cooling on the grass, but the weather station is in a similar open / exposed position.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

The outlook continues as good as it could be for this time of year. Mild, no sign of real cold. Of course, ground frosts are always possible with clear skies and no wind in November , but I think air frosts are not likely for some time on this outlook for most of UK.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Fully agree there Nigel, air frost are perhaps becoming less likely in the outputs than they were in the last week. I must admit I felt a little short changed with central Europe getting double figure minimums, whilst we get near frosty conditions.. mind you it must be the same the Spanish must feel when they are forecast frost and Britain bathes in warmth.. "It just ain't right!"
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Some ground frost here this morning. Not sure who had been grinding it though.
stephenprudence

Conifers wrote:Some ground frost here this morning. Not sure who had been grinding it though.
It's a good job no one started airing it. :wink:
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

Conifers wrote:Some ground frost here this morning. Not sure who had been grinding it though.
I suspect,it was Jack.
stephenprudence

First air frost due tonight, an emergency situation with regards to plants. As with these things, they tend to pop up last minute. This morning it was looking unlikely there would be frost tonight, but now it's looking highly likely for the first -1 or -2C of the season! best get a move on! (already close to frost levels)
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Chilly 5 degrees right now. Frost almost certain.
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

stephenprudence wrote:First air frost due tonight, an emergency situation with regards to plants. As with these things, they tend to pop up last minute. This morning it was looking unlikely there would be frost tonight, but now it's looking highly likely for the first -1 or -2C of the season! best get a move on! (already close to frost levels)
We should be ok, was dropping quick but its still 6.2c, and the we will get the cloud associated with a weather front that will give rain to the south. So should be in a win win situation with the cloud from a rainfront but not the rain! South of Crewe say will be potential for frost.
stephenprudence

Im afraid the cloud is going to pull away leaving a clear night past midnight. It's already 4C here, but thats with the cloud, so once it clears, 0C at least, is fairly likely. Unless a breeze kicks in.
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

I think we will be fine, its already pretty much clouded over as appose to completely clear 2 hours ago and temperatures are on the rise again.