October 2013 predictions?

Kristen

Re: October 2013 predictions?

Post by Kristen »

Tom2006 wrote:In fact if anything it looks like being quite warm and humid well into the first week in October.
FingersCrossed then, that will help the building progress, and thus my over wintering plans :)

We've had overcast for days - the sun isn't shifting the mirk around here, so although warm it isn't drying, so can't get on to weed the beds, not full of weeds from the recent rain :(
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Hornbeam trees are starting to loose thEIR leaves.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Not here Rob I have one in my garden. Must be drought conditions your way then.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Kristen wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:In fact if anything it looks like being quite warm and humid well into the first week in October.
FingersCrossed then, that will help the building progress, and thus my over wintering plans :)

We've had overcast for days - the sun isn't shifting the mirk around here, so although warm it isn't drying, so can't get on to weed the beds, not full of weeds from the recent rain :(
Currently looks mild/warm right out to the second week in October. icon_thumleft
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Tom2006 wrote:Not here Rob I have one in my garden. Must be drought conditions your way then.
I'm talking about york.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

September for me has been very disappointing. It is usually the most reliably warm and pleasant month of the year. Sun hours are well down. The weather still lacks mobility, and unless it picks up this doesnt bode well for the winter.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

September had 1.5 week unsettled spell, and the last week has returned to good temps and more of the dry we've had all summer. The garden looks fantastic and everything is basking in the decent temps still.

As Kris said in another thread October halfterm is a good time to think about protecting stuff and to assess the weather ahead, at the moment all I see is more dry and good temps going into October icon_cheers

I've had a poke in some weather forums this summer and recently and they are all incredibly quiet, but that only confirms my suspicions that majority of users on that type of forum are cold rampers, who don't leave the house and revel in bad weather :lol: :lol: :lol:
eddie

Post by eddie »

cordyman wrote:I've had a poke in some weather forums this summer and recently and they are all incredibly quiet, but that only confirms my suspicions that majority of users on that type of forum are cold rampers, who don't leave the house and revel in bad weather :lol: :lol: :lol:
Same here, the weather forums are quiet, but like you said those weatherlovers are mostly in love with ice, snow and record breaking long lasting frosts. So not much to read on the forums must mean good weather for us. icon_sunny
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

The thing we need to watch for is the effect of melting arctic sea ice in late autumn, which causes formation of greenland blocking. The sea ice is not as severely effected this year which should help. If we can avoid an atlantic block forming this winter then it should be a mild one.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The lows are in the wrong place this autumn, and reminds me of the whole of last winter and spring. Constant low to the south, and high to the north, giving cold gloomy weather to the SE England. I'm not confident of any change with the low just sitting there to the south. :roll:

Mild autumns and winters have had high to the south across France and lows up towards NW Scotland. We have the reverse at this time. With more and more and more NE winds :(
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Just did the September figures and was mean -0.6°C below LTA. The 7th month of 9 below LTA this year. But Sep rainfall was 39.1% LTA.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GREVILLE »

GFS favours high pressure to the east of us for much of the first half of October once this 'sub-tropical' low coming in clears by the weekend. That looks promising.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Forget autumn...summer stays until mid October at least. Could be 25c+ in places.

http://www.jp2webdesign.co.uk/ds/gfs.htm
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Tom2006 wrote:Forget autumn...summer stays until mid October at least. Could be 25c+ in places.

I never know how to read those charts and how you know it could be 25C+ by looking at it?
I'm looking at the forecasts and they're more like 17C here, but at least with some sunshine.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

otorongo wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:Forget autumn...summer stays until mid October at least. Could be 25c+ in places.

I never know how to read those charts and how you know it could be 25C+ by looking at it?
I'm looking at the forecasts and they're more like 17C here, but at least with some sunshine.
Of course it'll be 25c+ in places. Places like Tunisia :lol: