October 2013 predictions?

Kristen

October 2013 predictions?

Post by Kristen »

You weather pundits have gone quiet (or I've missed it in other threads, sorry).

Always appreciate your thinking-out-loud, in particular for me this year as we are rebuilding the conservatory and I have no decent space for overwintering until November ... so I'd appreciate some predictions so that I can make a best-guess of whether I can fleece in-situ until then, or if I need to lift and store with neighbours ...
otorongo

Re: October 2013 predictions?

Post by otorongo »

Seems too early to make predictions for October?

September is looking like more of what we're having now, with a bit more sun in the second half.

I'm not worried about frosts in London until the second half of November.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

otorongo wrote:Seems too early to make predictions for October?
2 - 4 weeks out - from memory that is what the discussion & debate normally covers?
johnb23456

Post by johnb23456 »

Don't think in Norfolk there will be any frosts in September or October, but I think once we get into November, I think we will get frosts - chilly nights are already present sometimes (as low as 6 degrees C one night) and we're only in mid to late September.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

johnb23456 wrote:Don't think in Norfolk there will be any frosts in September or October, but I think once we get into November, I think we will get frosts - chilly nights are already present sometimes (as low as 6 degrees C one night) and we're only in mid to late September.
These chilly nights are an exception, I don't think they're an indication that frosts will come earlier. We're coming out of the weird pattern causing the unseasonably cold weather, things will get back to average eventually and the future patterns won't be affected by the current pattern.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Dry, hopefully.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

The Azores high that has brought us such a good summer keeps wanting to push back up, as it will do this weekend, and warm things up again. The polar ice coverage is huge this year which should allow for the polar vortex to become very strong (i.e. reduced displacement of very cold air south towards us). With these two things combined in theory we should hopefully be looking at a return to a more average UK winter. Obviously the global weather is in chaos so no one really knows.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Tom2006 wrote: The polar ice coverage is huge this year
It isn't huge - it is actually well below the long-term average, just not as extremely low as it has been in the recent few winters.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Conifers wrote:
Tom2006 wrote: The polar ice coverage is huge this year
It isn't huge - it is actually well below the long-term average, just not as extremely low as it has been in the recent few winters.
Well its 2 million square miles and a MASSIVE increase on this time last year but I agree against the long term average its much reduced. That said, its much higher than anything we have had since before 2008 when our winters began to get much colder hits. So personally I'm thinking it bodes well for use exotic gardeners. icon_thumleft

For anyone who is interested http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Well done, Kristen. You've drawn out the weather pundits...including a new one it seems... Welcome to the forum Johnb icon_cheers

I think we're headed for a warm start to October and a concentration of the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness thereafter. Likely if only for the law of averages mean that we've not had that weather type for ages.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Tom2006 wrote:Well its 2 million square miles and a MASSIVE increase on this time last year but I agree against the long term average its much reduced. That said, its much higher than anything we have had since before 2008 when our winters began to get much colder hits. So personally I'm thinking it bodes well for use exotic gardeners. icon_thumleft

For anyone who is interested http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/
Almost exactly the same as 2009, so it could be like the 2009-2010 winter, if the linkage is reliable.

And yes 2m square miles more than this time last year, but also 2m square miles less than the 1980s average. Even by the standards of just ten years ago, the current ice would be seen as disastrously low.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Conifers wrote:And yes 2m square miles more than this time last year, but also 2m square miles less than the 1980s average. Even by the standards of just ten years ago, the current ice would be seen as disastrously low.
But might the increase, rather than the total size, have a cause-and-effect?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Conifers wrote:
And yes 2m square miles more than this time last year, but also 2m square miles less than the 1980s average. Even by the standards of just ten years ago, the current ice would be seen as disastrously low.
but is looks like the hockey stick was scare tactics.

2 million square miles will reflect a lot more sunlight so the Arctic should be colder
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Conifers »

Nope, it's just a blip in a continuing process. Year-to-tear weather has always had its ups and downs, and doesn't significantly affect the longer term trends.

The current ice cover - though a lot more than last year - is still the 5th lowest ever recorded. It absolutely supports the hockey-stick graph.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Conifers wrote:
The current ice cover - though a lot more than last year - is still the 5th lowest ever recorded. It absolutely supports the hockey-stick graph.
We'll have to agree to differ on this, as there is data out there to support every theory. The data on global temps that pop up when you search "Global Temperature" show that temps have flattened off over the last 15 years, but, of course, if you search "Global Warming", you will get data to support that theory.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright