October 2013 predictions?

cordyman

Re: October 2013 predictions?

Post by cordyman »

Nigel wrote:The charts have a very familiar look for early october. This is what we would normally expect in September as well. Azores high extending into south west europe, bringing mild south westerlies and warm weather. This is the best possible setup and often this weather sticks around. Bodes well.

are we going to see a long term shift for extended winter into Spring, and extender summer into Autumn icon_scratch
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Certainly still no sign of anything cold. Foggy in places but mild with a high humidity and warm where the sun breaks through.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
harryc

Post by harryc »

Tom2006 wrote:Certainly still no sign of anything cold. Foggy in places but mild with a high humidity and warm where the sun breaks through.
Tom you have jinxed the weather :lol: :lol: looks there could be the first frost of autumn later next week. Time to take care of the tender plants.

H
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

harryc wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:Certainly still no sign of anything cold. Foggy in places but mild with a high humidity and warm where the sun breaks through.
Tom you have jinxed the weather :lol: :lol: looks there could be the first frost of autumn later next week. Time to take care of the tender plants.

H
Great, I will have to protect the tree ferns now :evil: :lol:
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

cordyman wrote:
Nigel wrote:The charts have a very familiar look for early october. This is what we would normally expect in September as well. Azores high extending into south west europe, bringing mild south westerlies and warm weather. This is the best possible setup and often this weather sticks around. Bodes well.

are we going to see a long term shift for extended winter into Spring, and extender summer into Autumn icon_scratch
This is quite normal weather , if it holds to pattern, you would see some light ground frosts with pleasant daytimes under clear skies, mild, with no serious cold until late November.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

well the outlook at changed somewhat away from mild southwesterlies to more colder continental weather. This means frosts for many, however daytime temperatures although subdued will be pleasant in any sun.. much like a mild winters day at around 11-13C nationwide. Night time could see widespread below 0C, but nothing too severe.. we'll have to see how it evolves.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Below 0C (an air frost) is quite unusual for many places this time of autumn, but can happen, so will be glued to the forecasts.

Be aware that almost all TV forecasts only give cities temps now, and say things like "several degrees colder in the countryside" or "much colder in the colder spots", so if you are not paying attention, and just looking at the figures you could get caught out.

It can be up to 7C colder here than in London, 35 miles away, which they give the figures for. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Tom2006 »

Some models forecasting -2c in places later this coming week. I will be lifting my ensetes and potting up my basjoos.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Tom2006 wrote:Some models forecasting -2c in places later this coming week. I will be lifting my ensetes and potting up my basjoos.
a brief -2C at this time of year if daytime temp rise above 10C, will not affect an Ensete other than burn leaves, which I cut off when it comes in anyway. A -2C in December only rising to +5C will be a problem. I don't touch M basjoo.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by cordyman »

I'm definetely not toucing ensetes, musa or Dicksonia antarctica until some serious cold is on the way. I want to enjoy my garden as late as possible this year icon_cheers
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

That will teach me to tempt fate, Stephen please tell me thats not a greenland block I see forming .
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Nigel I've just sat out and had a cold one in the 16.4*c October balmy warmth, its going to be a VERY different story come wed/thu night when it drops to 5*c :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Nigel wrote:That will teach me to tempt fate, Stephen please tell me thats not a greenland block I see forming .
It's been a very 'blocky' sort of 24 months. I said a few weeks ago I didn't really see any changes.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nigel »

Charts have thankfully returned to a more normal look today for october after yesterdays minor panic.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

This is a good watch, nothing concerning

Www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7kojxKfGBM&fea ... ata_player