October 2013 predictions?

cordyman

Re: October 2013 predictions?

Post by cordyman » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:09 pm

otorongo wrote:
cordyman wrote:Also wouldnt say we only get a few good days, the entire summer of 2013 has been top drawer here.
How many good days a year would that be, 30? OK let's optimistically say 60. That's still 1/6 of the year... and only if you're not working.
cordyman wrote:Putting so much reliance on good weather for a happy life isn't a good way to live though.
Not in the UK, that's for sure. Prozac is much more reliable, or so they say ;)

But seriously, when you look at the copious warmth and sunshine that many parts of the world get, it's hard not to feel a sense of injustice... or at least that you're in the wrong place and should do something about it.
cordyman wrote:I enjoy the 4 seasons, love snow fall and extreme cold, adore the change into autumn and the transforming landscape, on the flip side love heat. The garden may not like the former but my happiness comes before a plant.
I don't like the seasons and would be happy to eradicate them from my life once and for all.
That's why I garden - to create an illusion that summer never ends, or at least lasts longer, even if it's not always warm and sunny.

I definitely think you need a green card for the west coast USA or somewhere tropical :lol: icon_thumleft

For me a good day is dry, above 18*c and a bonus when the sun shines, in the summer months.

That changes in other seasons based on max temps available, ie. 8*c sat next to my shed in a black jumper, in full sun is pleasant in winter.

If you view a good day in the UK as only days above 30*c your setting up for a miserable life here :lol:

madgav

Re: October 2013 predictions?

Post by madgav » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:13 pm

I like your thinking otorongo icon_thumleft
I'd love to live in a warmer climate.
Although I can't help feeling you live in a much better summer climate than I do.
I'm not too demanding, last weekend we were treated to 19C on Saturday and 21C on Sunday, both with plentiful sunshine and no rain. That's good enough for me :)

otorongo
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:12 pm
Location: sub-subtropical London

Re: October 2013 predictions?

Post by otorongo » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:18 am

Well retirement is as important as a good climate; otherwise the climate can't be enjoyed for the most part. I'm working on my retirement, and then a move to a good climate will be a natural consequence.

I could relocate to Northern California (south-western SF Bay, over 3000 sunshine hours) within my company even now, but that would be a distraction on the way to my primary goal, which is retirement.

Back to the topic, next week is looking relatively good with highs up to 19C, including a good weekend (17-18 and a bit of sun). I'll be away in Holland that weekend, so another good one missed :( Let's hope the 25-26th is a decent one too.

The lowest low in the 14-day forecast for me is a 7C on the Sunday night, with a 3C ground Tmin, so no worries just yet.

cordyman

Re: October 2013 predictions?

Post by cordyman » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:53 am

otorongo wrote:Well retirement is as important as a good climate; otherwise the climate can't be enjoyed for the most part. I'm working on my retirement, and then a move to a good climate will be a natural consequence.

I could relocate to Northern California (south-western SF Bay, over 3000 sunshine hours) within my company even now, but that would be a distraction on the way to my primary goal, which is retirement.

Back to the topic, next week is looking relatively good with highs up to 19C, including a good weekend (17-18 and a bit of sun). I'll be away in Holland that weekend, so another good one missed :( Let's hope the 25-26th is a decent one too.

The lowest low in the 14-day forecast for me is a 7C on the Sunday night, with a 3C ground Tmin, so no worries just yet.

I'd snap up that Cali chance now, you need to enjoy the present, you don't know whats around the corner so focussing everything on retirement but not enjoying those years in the run up to it, seems like a waste :cry:


I sure hope the 17*c+ come back, 10*c i'm just not climatised to at the moment Brrrrrrrrr :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 19742
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:17 am
Location: Chalk, (Thames Estuary) Kent, England 51.5N 0.3E
Contact:

Re: October 2013 predictions?

Post by Dave Brown » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:41 pm

cordyman wrote:
I'd snap up that Cali chance now, you need to enjoy the present, you don't know whats around the corner so focussing everything on retirement but not enjoying those years in the run up to it, seems like a waste :cry:
The way I'd look at it is, Global Corporations do not care about customers or employees, only about increased profit, so I'd never move for one. Getting dumped in US would leave you without basic health cover. The US started the 'moving jobs to China' before it hit the UK. Many people I dealt with in US just disappeared and Chinese names replaced their role. I connected with my successors in China on Linkedin, which means their connections become visible. Very interesting reading, and every time they get a new connection I'm informed. Basically I'm now getting a blow by blow account of which Corps are moving what job to Shanghai. :wink:

Now back on topic. did anyone predict the gyrating low over France ?
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
_________________________________________________
Roll on summer.....
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk

otorongo
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:12 pm
Location: sub-subtropical London

Re: October 2013 predictions?

Post by otorongo » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:40 am

It's looking very mild from mid-week onward.
weatheronline_14_oct.png
Long may it continue.

stephenprudence

Re: October 2013 predictions?

Post by stephenprudence » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:25 am

Unfortunately that's localised Otorongo, here on the other hand it will be cloudy and consequently cool, although about average in the grand scheme of things. It is true we have one of the worst climates in the world though for personal satisfaction.

cordyman

Re: October 2013 predictions?

Post by cordyman » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:49 pm

otorongo wrote:It's looking very mild from mid-week onward.
weatheronline_14_oct.png
Long may it continue.

what site is that from? I want to check out my localised heatwave! icon_sunny icon_salut

Tom2006
Posts: 8094
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Location: East Yorkshire UK

Re: October 2013 predictions?

Post by Tom2006 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:03 pm

cordyman wrote:
otorongo wrote:It's looking very mild from mid-week onward.
weatheronline_14_oct.png
Long may it continue.

what site is that from? I want to check out my localised heatwave! icon_sunny icon_salut
It could be up to 18C in the south, but Scotland looks cold at times. I keep an eye on the weather forums and virtually all the sad cold loving folks who wet themselves at the slightest sniff of cold weather have crept back into their holes, so that is a good sign for the coming weeks. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.

otorongo
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:12 pm
Location: sub-subtropical London

Re: October 2013 predictions?

Post by otorongo » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:34 pm

cordyman wrote: what site is that from? I want to check out my localised heatwave! icon_sunny icon_salut
http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/ ... NOREGION=1

I think they only do a 14-day forecast for London, other locations have 8-day ones.

Tom2006
Posts: 8094
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Location: East Yorkshire UK

Re: October 2013 predictions?

Post by Tom2006 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:35 pm

Cracking overnight lows for the time of year
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.

Clive60

Re: October 2013 predictions?

Post by Clive60 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:08 am

It was 7c here last night! but the next weeks nights will be up to 12/14c again which is good for mid October. icon_thumleft

fern Rob

Re: October 2013 predictions?

Post by fern Rob » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:53 pm

Its very cold today, winter is on its way fast.

cordyman

Re: October 2013 predictions?

Post by cordyman » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:07 pm

good here still, yesterday 16 with loads of sun, today 14*c overcast. Doesnt feel cold yet icon_thumleft

cordyman

Re: October 2013 predictions?

Post by cordyman » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:08 pm

otorongo wrote:
cordyman wrote: what site is that from? I want to check out my localised heatwave! icon_sunny icon_salut
http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/ ... NOREGION=1

I think they only do a 14-day forecast for London, other locations have 8-day ones.

oooooh a whole load of 17*c coming up! epic icon_thumleft


http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/ ... NOREGION=0

Post Reply