Thursday May Be Quite Cold

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Thursday May Be Quite Cold

Post by Dave Brown »

otorongo wrote:
stephenprudence wrote:The UV today is going to be fairly strong for the time of year, so even though its very cold feeling outside, the UV could reach 4 in selected spots (that's enough to burn very sensitive skin)... very interesting for almost mid-October.
I thought the highest UV index possible in London on 1 Oct was 3?

It's overcast ATM so I don't think we'll even reach 2, unless it clears up.
Very cold air from where this originates will have low haze and pollution, so the UV could reach it's maximum potential. Dec 2010 had some exceptionally clear skies as the water vapour had been frozen out as a sort of stardust, but once it has gone radiation to the sky is also exceptional :ahhh!:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by stephenprudence »

Sorry Otorongo, I admit my post was a bit IMBY, this was more for the west, than the east admittedly. Although it will just be isolated, most places with have a UV index of around 1-2. I was just commeting on it's unusual nature more than anything.. I can see why it would be possible too, the sky is absolutely crystal clear here, which given minimal haze may have that extra little bit of UV to penetrate (rather than a hazy sky when some gets blocked out).

ps I looked out again, and I haven't seen a sky with this clarity for some time I have to say.
kata

Post by kata »

Supposed to be 100mph gales and snow, don't know when it made me feel cold just reading that bit... :lol: :lol:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Kristen wrote:23-oct last year I brought everything in, frost was forecast ... the weather immediately warmed up after that!
According to metcheck my first frosts are going to be on the 25th and 26th! later than normal IF it stays like that, and they reckon the High for those days is 3-4c. :shock:
harryc

Post by harryc »

sanatic1234 wrote:
Kristen wrote:23-oct last year I brought everything in, frost was forecast ... the weather immediately warmed up after that!
According to metcheck my first frosts are going to be on the 25th and 26th! later than normal IF it stays like that, and they reckon the High for those days is 3-4c. :shock:

Oh yeah like they can predict that far out :lol: :lol: :lol:

H
madgav

Post by madgav »

madgav wrote:
Lowest forecast temps for me are 8C for Wed night and Thu night according to BBC. I can end up as much as 2C lower than their forecasts though, especially on clear nights
Surprise surprise 6C last night despite forecast remaining at 8C..... upside is on these sunny days I often exceed the forecast high by a similar amount.... today's forecast high is only 11-12C.... can I get a 13-14C....?

Cool but not unusually so for the time of year, and forecast to improve here after tonight - which is also forecast as 8C :)
As predicted, 13C yesterday and 6C last night. Perhaps I have got the hang of "interpreting" the BBC forecasts :)
(Weathercast did a much better job)
kata

Post by kata »

No lower than 12C during the day, no lower than 6C during the night for here anyway up to Tuesday.

Good because I have only one fleece bag as yet.
icon_cheers