Does anyone actually like to feel cold ?

multim

Re: Does anyone actually like to feel cold ?

Post by multim »

I too hate everything about Winter and the darkness gets to me more than the cold. I no longer celebrate the Christmas thing either although I do make merry on the Winter Solstice.
As I now live alone, I no longer use central heating. Instead, I have a multi-fuel stove which costs nothing to run as I cut my own wood.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

multim wrote:I too hate everything about Winter and the darkness gets to me more than the cold. I no longer celebrate the Christmas thing either although I do make merry on the Winter Solstice.
Same here, the darkness is a tough one.

And the Winter Solstice is the true holiday to celebrate, not the made-up ones surrounding it. But I think they're related, maybe people miscalculated the dates in the middle ages when they didn't know how to calculate them properly.
The fact is, we celebrate those times in order to cheer ourselves up when nature is less generous.
Also, in many European traditions, many mood-altering foods are consumed around the Winter Solstice / Christmas - sugar, poppy seeds, nutmeg, wine... And we turn on colourful lights (on Christmas trees and such) to provide a contrast to the grey skies, bare sticks of trees, and make up for the lack of flowers, butterflies, etc.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Not fond of winter. I like to see deep snow as long as I'm not cold and my plants are ok.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

fern Rob wrote:Not fond of winter. I like to see deep snow as long as I'm not cold and my plants are ok.
I like to see deep snow..... banished to the Arctic, where it belongs :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I hate feeling the cold so always wrap up warm.
I'm glad Xmas is in winter otherwise it would be a very long drag.

The lack of sunlight is worse.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I absolutely despise the cold & hate the cold, damp, dark British winters icon_thumbdown I don't know if it is because I was born in the summer or if in a previous life I lived in the tropics, but I don't just dislike the cold I HATE it!! icon_thumbdown icon_thumbdown

This is one of the reasons why we are moving to Malta in a few weeks 8)
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

HATE IT!!

I have to confess that when a fresh fall of snow arrives the child in me likes it for an hour or two (as long as the temps are plant killing) but then the reality sets in.

Give me year round double digit temps and I would be a happy man.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Nathan wrote:This is one of the reasons why we are moving to Malta in a few weeks
Yeah, you might have mentioned that once or twice! :wink:

My wife has got into the habit of 'airing' the house at night, stating she can't sleep with the windows closed :?
Half way through the night, I wake up with a freezing cold 'arris as she has mummified herself with the quilt and left me exposed to the elements :(
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Dave Brown wrote:
fern Rob wrote:Not fond of winter. I like to see deep snow as long as I'm not cold and my plants are ok.
I like to see deep snow..... banished to the Arctic, where it belongs :lol:
I hate been cold, just like the look of snow on the landscape, aslong as it does not kill my plants. :lol:
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

I must be the odd one out ............. :lol:
I'm so used to working ( and playing) outside that the cold doesn't bother me at all, providing i'm dry. Temps down to zero are still t shirt / jeans weathers and often i'll still be in shorts. You'll never see me in a coat, only if on the touchline and its peeing down. Sweatshirts are banned to the draw or wardrobe. My mrs has given up buying anything but t shirts... :lol: If i find anything uncomfortable, its walking into a house and that initial "wall of heat". That i find very uncomfortable.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Arlon, totally agree with all you've said!, being a roofer for 30 odd year's has got me use to the element's!!. karl.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I think it's been damp that makes the cold uncomfortable.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:I must be the odd one out ............. :lol:
I'm so used to working ( and playing) outside that the cold doesn't bother me at all, providing i'm dry. Temps down to zero are still t shirt / jeans weathers and often i'll still be in shorts. You'll never see me in a coat, only if on the touchline and its peeing down. Sweatshirts are banned to the draw or wardrobe. My mrs has given up buying anything but t shirts... :lol: If i find anything uncomfortable, its walking into a house and that initial "wall of heat". That i find very uncomfortable.
karl66 wrote:Arlon, totally agree with all you've said!, being a roofer for 30 odd year's has got me use to the element's!!. karl.
I think the difference is, you are both doing a physical job, and obviously creating a lot of body heat. I was sat at a desk for hours. Although you start off feeling ok, you gradually get colder, and colder. You don't really notice it to start with as you are concentrating on work, but then your brain shouts COLD!!!!!, and your core temp has fallen. It then takes a lot to warm back up.

Really need to have a 5 min break every half hour to lug a couple of bags of sand up the garden and back again. :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright