Worst winter in a generation 2013/14

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Worst winter in a generation 2013/14

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Kristen wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:I just want to hear a reasoned argument against the forecast.
http://metofficenews.wordpress.com/2013 ... headlines/

Dunno if it counts as "reasoned argument against" more of a "We're the professionals and we don't know so don't waste your money buying The Express" :)

pretty sure the Met Office made a similar announcement last year ...

Wise words: :D

Once again it is the season for speculation and big headlines regarding what the weather will do over the winter period. The front page of the Daily Express today claims: ‘Worst winter for decades: Record-breaking snow predicted for November’.

We saw similar headlines last year and instead winter 12/13 ended up being only the 43rd coldest on record with an average temperature of 3.3C and flooding until the turn of the year.

What the Daily Express has failed to explain to it’s readers is that there is absolutely no certainty about what weather the UK will see over the winter period. The science simply does not exist to make detailed, long-term forecasts for temperature and snowfall even for the end of November, let alone for the winter period, which does not officially start until 1 December.

While we have seen a return to more normal, cooler temperatures for this time of year, this is no indication of what we can expect over the next four months with regards to temperatures and when we might see snow. It is far too early to tell.

Ultimately, we’re heading into winter and it is perfectly possible that we will see the whole range of weather that we get in winter at some point over the coming months, including snow and freezing temperatures, but also heavy rain, windy weather and mild conditions too.

Our five day forecasts and warnings will provide you with the best possible guidance on any periods of cold weather, frost or the likelihood of snow, giving detailed local information across the UK to help you make the most of the weather over the coming months.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Dave Brown wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:I agree, that the blocking trends are still evident, as they were last winter, but overall, the deep cold pools that leaked south, generally missed our shores, unlike winter 2010.
Blocking has occurred through the summer as well, that is why near the east coast has had a below average year so far. The block sat across the country much of the time dragging in cold cloudy weather off the sea.

The fact blocking has occured during summer as well would seem to discount it being linked to Arctic sea Ice, more linked to a global slow down of mobility.
True Dave, this global climate change has a lot to answer for!! Mind you up here on the east coast we have had a cracking summer, best since 2006, if not better in terms of sunlight and lack of rain although the latter has been terrible for the garden.

I think people are just guessing at the cause of why our weather patterns are changing, I just think the chaotic and extreme nature is increasing in nature.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Well winter is coming so the whole fun is starting again! As long as I do not have to hear that horrific song ''Dreaming of a white Christmass''.

My God I hate that song so much!!!

Alexander
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Alexander wrote:Well winter is coming so the whole fun is starting again! As long as I do not have to hear that horrific song ''Dreaming of a white Christmass''.

My God I hate that song so much!!!
I'm dreaming of a green Christmas... and I will get one, in the Atlantic forest outside of Rio :)
And we'll be singing about lush vegetation and hummingbirds like God intended icon_cheers
dino

Post by dino »

Can I come? icon_thumright
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Alexander wrote:Well winter is coming so the whole fun is starting again!
Not looking forward to protecting all the plants again.
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Re. comparing winter weather.
Is anyone on here old enough to remember winters during the 40's and 50's? This was in South Devon and Cornwall.
My parents used to order bare root roses through the post and just "heel" them in a trench outside until the ground had thawed out enough to plant them in the Spring. Also, the lawn mower was oiled and put away until Spring after the "last cut" as the weather was too cold for the grass to grow during the winter.
Frost and ice and cold weather was NORMAL to us all then, no one remarked that it was unusual at all.
We were told not to walk on the vegetable patch when the ground was frozen as it damaged the soil!
Do you remember this?
Don't forget l963/4 either! I have photos of a 6' banked lane in South Brent, S.Devon full to the top with snow, and my dad shovelling a way through so we could get to the shops! This lasted months.
The last 30+ years have been positively benign as far as I'm concerned and no one would have been able to grow tropicals back then IMO.
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Sorry, meant 1962/3!! Very old brain cells LOL!!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

RozDevon wrote:Re. comparing winter weather.
Is anyone on here old enough to remember winters during the 40's and 50's? This was in South Devon and Cornwall.
My parents used to order bare root roses through the post and just "heel" them in a trench outside until the ground had thawed out enough to plant them in the Spring. Also, the lawn mower was oiled and put away until Spring after the "last cut" as the weather was too cold for the grass to grow during the winter.
Frost and ice and cold weather was NORMAL to us all then, no one remarked that it was unusual at all.
We were told not to walk on the vegetable patch when the ground was frozen as it damaged the soil!
Do you remember this?
Don't forget l963/4 either! I have photos of a 6' banked lane in South Brent, S.Devon full to the top with snow, and my dad shovelling a way through so we could get to the shops! This lasted months.
The last 30+ years have been positively benign as far as I'm concerned and no one would have been able to grow tropicals back then IMO.
This is the great kind of anecdotal evidence we need more of! icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

cordyman wrote:
This is the great kind of anecdotal evidence we need more of! icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
Nigel and I have commented on numerous occasions about how cold winters were in the 60s, and most people seemed to think we were making it up.

Every time I mention the school milk being frozen day after day, week after week, we get comments about kids not getting school milk now, ignoring the main point.... it was frozen. The worst thing of all was the teachers used to thaw the milk out by standing it on the radiators... yuk, nothing worse than warm full cream milk icon_thumbdown My wife hated the warmed school milk so much she hasn't drunk milk at all since.

AND I remember going to school in the snow, in my shorts :ahhh!: Didn't half graze your knees falling on frozen, crunchy snow.

Kids are really, really molly coddled now, which is why they grow up such whimps :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by RozDevon »

Yes, my OH just said he remembers going to school in shorts with cold legs too!

More memories of l965/70.
I worked as a florist in Totnes, the work was done in a stone shed at the back of the shop.
The moss for making the wreaths etc was dumped outside on the ground and most winters was frozen solid.
We had to thaw it out before we could use it to moss up the frames! Not too good when the cat poo melted and you got it on your hands!! No rubber gloves in those days!!
The flowers were kept in another stone shed and the chrysanths would often be frozen into the buckets, and we had to either chop the flowers off with 1"stem (they were to be wired up) or break the ice and try and thaw them out if we needed longer stems!
We had a one bar electric fire beside our legs, our winter coats on, and the wind blowing under the door!!
Oohh, those were the days!!! Yes, had chilblains there as well!! Not surprising really.

The old boss would rub his hands in January and say lovely weather. We would innocently ask Why? And he would say, the old people die of the cold, which meant more funeral work for him!!
This is TRUE, I'm not making it up, honest!!

We had no central heating then, the ice was on the INSIDE of the windows in the bedrooms. Cold was measured by how many dogs were needed on the bed to keep warm. A very cold night was a 3 score!!

The only warm room was the kitchen by the Rayburn, or a log fire in the sittingroom occasionally.

I don't remember anyone complaining of the cold, it was just a fact of life that winters were cold.

Thats that, folks!!!
flounder

Post by flounder »

RozDevon wrote:Cold was measured by how many dogs were needed on the bed to keep warm.
:lol: That was brilliant :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

RozDevon wrote:
We had no central heating then, the ice was on the INSIDE of the windows in the bedrooms.
Yes,that reminds me, you could see your breath in the bedrooms and the curtains froze to the window.
RozDevon wrote:Cold was measured by how many dogs were needed on the bed to keep warm. A very cold night was a 3 score!!
I just knew it was cold as I didn't have ANY dogs. :lol: :lol: :lol:
RozDevon wrote:The only warm room was the kitchen by the Rayburn, or a log fire in the sittingroom occasionally.

I don't remember anyone complaining of the cold, it was just a fact of life that winters were cold.

Thats that, folks!!!
We only had a Coal /log fire in the dining room and a coal boiler in the kitchen. I don't have central heating now, ripped it all out when I moved here as was horrible sooty oil fired, and even though next door had gas on the new estate, British Gas wanted £4,997 in 1984 to lay it on to me :ahhh!: I can't print what I said in reply. icon_rambo

My wife worked for CEGB at the time so we got a deal on electric storage heaters and went onto economy 7, and been on it ever since.

I think the mentality was different then. It was cold so you dressed for cold. Now most people expect every room to be 21C like permanent summer and dress for summer.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Dave, you have a few years on me :lol: but I remember on many occasion not being able to get out the back door! the snow was up to the first half of our sash windows in kitchen, also not wanting to get out of bed in depths of winter to use toilet!. karl,
billdango

Post by billdango »

I do remember that it wasn't possible even to overwinter C humilis outside up to about the early 1980s down here even in Southampton.

Every winter you had to take them under cover or they died of the cold. :(

Even Cordylines were not seen any where in the City and I think mine where the first tried here.

As for Musa Basjoo and Phoenix canariensis_CIDP palms not a hope.

Now Southampton is full of the above mentioned plants and only Basjoos get cut back in hard spells of weather. :D :D :D :D

Except for the winter of 2010 I have seen very little damage to exotics in this city and in that winter it was only the unprotected CIDPs that suffered.

Of course a return to those never ending freeze ups of those years will change the ballgame for growing palms and other exotics even down here on the south coast.

billdango icon_sunny