Storm warning.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Storm warning.

Post by Dave Brown »

stephenprudence wrote:I love how having it in kph makes the wind look worse than it really is :lol: It does look like Southern England may escape the worst of this, but Netherlands and parts of Belgium, may not.
We don't know yet, as with the 1987 storm it may not behave as expected and could come further north. I think it is a case of keep an eye on the news.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Kristen wrote:
Nathan wrote:Well we may be used to windy weather but not gusts of 80-90mph :lol:
Would that mean that your trees are better anchored than trees inland that don't routinely get windy weather? and thus they are more likely to withstand a rare 80MPH wind?
Many of the trees along the south coast and on Southsea Common grow a streamlined sloping shape away from the wind.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by stephenprudence »

Dave Brown wrote:
stephenprudence wrote:I love how having it in kph makes the wind look worse than it really is :lol: It does look like Southern England may escape the worst of this, but Netherlands and parts of Belgium, may not.
We don't know yet, as with the 1987 storm it may not behave as expected and could come further north. I think it is a case of keep an eye on the news.
Or not keeping an eye on the news (unless you mean weather).

Two absolute certainties, are that if this storm goes south of its current position, it will pack tighter isobars and stronger winds, but these will affect the Channel Islands with gusts probably over 100mph. If the storm track goes north of the estimation, then winds will decrease in intensity, probably just giving around 50-60mph gusts around the London area to Bristol Channel. As it stands (and yes it could change), the south coast, far southeast England (coastal SE Kent), will probably see 70-80mph gusts. This is by no means unheard of. The only issue is whether a sting jet is brought into play.. I'm a little sceptical about that but it's possible. Sting jet featuring could result in gusts over 100mph. However there is not a huge amount of evidence to support that at the moment.

The one thing we can certain of, is that this storm may cause localised damage (even resulting in more widepread disruption), however it will almost certainly not be to the extent, or strength of 1987.. given the setup, that is genuinely not possible.

But for southern folks (away from the coast/far southwest), who do not see storms of this calibre like the the more Northern areas (ie Scotland/Northern Ireland), it will be something unusual in recent times.
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

I don't see a difference. High mph is the same as high kph winds but just other numbers.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Twitter

Essex Weather Centre ‏@EssexWeather 2h
A new concern is when storm exits the East coast. This may bring a short period of winds around 90mph to NE corner of Essex.
Expand

Hardy Tropicals UK ‏@HardyTropsUK 10m
@EssexWeather @ChristineWalkd Is this a 'Sting jet', like occurred on the south coast in October 1987 ?
Expand

Essex Weather Centre ‏@EssexWeather 5m
@HardyTropsUK @ChristineWalkd Sting Jet is possible on Monday and one of the reasons why the Met Office are holding off upgrading warnings.
Hide conversation

Retweet
Favourite
26 Oct 13 · Details
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nathan »

Kristen wrote:
Nathan wrote:Well we may be used to windy weather but not gusts of 80-90mph :lol:
Would that mean that your trees are better anchored than trees inland that don't routinely get windy weather? and thus they are more likely to withstand a rare 80MPH wind?
Yes, they are used to generally windy weather, but even here winds gusting to 80-90mph are very rare...

This is Southsea common (where the palms are now planted) after the October 1987 storm, so even in a windy area trees cannot stand really windy weather icon_thumright

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Nathan wrote:
Kristen wrote:
Yes, they are used to generally windy weather, but even here winds gusting to 80-90mph are very rare...

This is Southsea common (where the palms are now planted) after the October 1987 storm, so even in a windy area trees cannot stand really windy weather icon_thumright

[ Image ]
Wow, recognise the building, didn't know they had lost BIG trees.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by billdango »

Well I suppose that means GOODBYE BANANA TREES?

I live in one of the windiest roads in Southampton as my house is located at the bottom of a valley with fairly high ground on each side.

Even on a breezy day elsewhere in Southampton the wind around my house is howling at gale force.

Thats why most of my front garden palms look so battered and i can't grow any other exotics.

The back garden suffers as well but not quite as much but my Basjoos are usually flattened by mid November.

Do any other forum members have this problem in the road they live in?

billdango :(
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Back in 2006 My weather station recorded its highest ever gust of 102mph. Numerous trees and walls were damaged in my town

jezza

Post by jezza »

If it's of any comfort to me the new development at the bottom of my garden affords quite a lot of shelter from south/south westerly winds and my neighbours house is to the west side and a metre higher so acts as a windbreak as well. It's easterlies that do damage as my house and garden are totally exposed.

Saying that there's a lot of large trees (60ft+) in and around my garden. If one or more comes down then there's a high probability that my garden will be obliterated.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Nathan wrote:
Kristen wrote:

[ Image ]
So without the 1987 storm Southsea might not have ever planted all of those amazing Phoenix Canariensis to replace the trees that were uprooted.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

As far as any worst case scenario for the likes of Trachies and Musa basjoo, the wind may trash all the leaves but after cutting these away it will be interesting to see how rapidly they recover next year.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

GREVILLE wrote:As far as any worst case scenario for the likes of Trachies and Musa basjoo, the wind may trash all the leaves but after cutting these away it will be interesting to see how rapidly they recover next year.
If they are green don't cut them away or you will slow down regeneration :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
eddie

Post by eddie »

Tied my Washi's leaves together to prevent storm damage. Winter's coming, so no chance of new growth.

Wind comes in gusts here now, wich is really trashing leaves. We've seen strong winds before, my bamboo in 20 gallon pots got blown through the garden once.
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Strong wind today already, stronger then forecasted. Some models still goes to local wind gusts up to 150 km per hour/ 93 mph (Specially northwest). Northwest got also the highest chance on a short even 11 BFT. Looks like a real storm is coming since a long time. Cards from tonight would give us more information.