Storm warning.

stephenprudence

Re: Storm warning.

Post by stephenprudence »

ah I get your meaning now, best to avoid damage in case of frost. The problem with wrapping is it doesn't necessarily prevent wind damage?
jezza

Post by jezza »

The forecast winds for me is the strongest i've seen for many years. Very rare to get gusts stronger than 50mph at worst. My greenhouse took a battering last time so i fear it may be damaged come monday morning.
Dim

Post by Dim »

I have a client who needs 5 large trees pruned and shaped ... I got a tree surgeon around a week ago to quote and my client came back to me a few minutes ago to say that I should give him the go-ahead

I phoned him, and asked him when he can do the job .... he said he will do it on monday .... I told him that it may be a 'bit' windy but he said no probs, he can sort it in the wind

these are huge trees (5 in total), and stand approx 12meters+ tall

I may video this and send it to 'youv'e been framed', or Britain's got talent :lol:
harryc

Post by harryc »

At the moment and as always likely to change the worst of the wind is being predicted through the bristol channel and the Channel cost, so east kent watch out - Dave B :ahhh!: :ahhh!:

H
Attachments
ukwind.png
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I'm a bit concerned about my Lunar Module, as the October 1987 storm exploded the fence panels where that is now. :roll:
And I do mean exploded, as the laps flew everywhere. I couldn't get a replacement panel so had to rebuild it with the laps I managed to locate.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Although there is concern it's worth noting, a low pressure undergoing quick and deep cyclogenesis (aka bombing), is not 100% nailed on, until it starts interacting with the cool upper air and the jet stream, until that happens we don't know if it'll become an extreme event or not.
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

It looks like we will feel the full force of it here, extreme or not. If we do get winds of 70/80mph it could be damaging as many trees here are still in leaf adding weight in torrential rain.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Southsea is windy at the best of times, I fear the worst here :?
stephenprudence

You'll be fine Nathan.. being coastal you probably see strong winds much of the time in Autumn.. as the Scots say "Ach we'll be alright". Further inland is where the issues may be, where people are not used to such strong winds, and there are potentially much trees (than on the coastal strip).

I'm not convinced yet, that this will be anywhere near as bad as it's being portrayed in the media, or even weather forums.

The models don't show anything particularly noteworthy, apart from a very short period of intense winds along the southeast coastal area (SE Kent)
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Well we may be used to windy weather but not gusts of 80-90mph :lol:
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Nathan wrote:Well we may be used to windy weather but not gusts of 80-90mph :lol:
Would that mean that your trees are better anchored than trees inland that don't routinely get windy weather? and thus they are more likely to withstand a rare 80MPH wind?
billdango

Post by billdango »

Palm trees are pretty good at standing up to violent winds....

Just watch some of that hurricane or typhoon footage on you tube and you will see what i mean.

The problem in the UK is that many people [councils included] plant palm trees unsuited to be placed where they are.

Poor old T fortuni is one example and they should not be planted on promenades by the sea shore.

All us forum members know that these palms grow in cool sheltered forests in mountain valleys and don't normally have to put up with thrashing gales.

The best palms to grow in windy places esp' in the UK are C humilis and B capitata followed by T wagnerianus and if you live on the south coast Phoenix canariensis_CIDP palms.

Other palms that like dappled shade are R hystrix and J chilensis which have big leaves and these break up easily in strong winds.

A couple of other palms that can put up with a certain amount of rougth weather are W robust and B armata but these do need a sunny place to grow well.

All in all I think T fortuni will suffer badly this weekend so it may be a good idea to tie the leaves up together on smaller exposed specimens.

I can't do much about my palms as they are to tall but they came through the great storm of 1987 and 1990 okay so I am not to worried at this stage.

billdango icon_thumleft
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

During the 1987 storm, we were sent home from work in Plymouth as the windows were blown out!
After driving home through flying advertising hoardings, bits of corrugated roof, and general debris airbourne, we watched the garden flattened and the greenhouse disintegrate before our eyes, glass panels blown out as if they were paper! And it was a good solid metal one too!!
Some smaller plants were literally blown completely out of the soil!
Lets hope it passes us by and goes up the Channel this time.
I've put everything away and cut back and stored along a big fence near the house.
No amount of covering with fleece will withstand what I witnessed last time, it would all just blow away even if it was tied around.
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Last outputs give a stronger chance to 10 BFT. This is the worst card I've seen (mondayafternoon 1500 hours) so far with wind gust up to 130/150 km per hour, but do not think that is realistic. With still lots of leafes on the trees it's almost sure the fireman would have a busy day coming monday.

For work I need to go closer to the sea, just behind Rotterdam. I fear long traffic jams, and a good hand to get the car safe over the bridges I need to pass.

stephenprudence

I love how having it in kph makes the wind look worse than it really is :lol: It does look like Southern England may escape the worst of this, but Netherlands and parts of Belgium, may not.