Storm warning.

Half Hardy

Re: Storm warning.

Post by Half Hardy »

I've trimmed most of the leaves off my bananas,my palms are not big enough yet to be at much risk of being uprooted.My biggest concern is my polycarbonate greenhouse.I'm off to shrink wrap it,to try and stop the panels blowing away.

As we used to say when I was a keen windsurfer..... Time to hook in and hold on.
Last edited by Half Hardy on Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

The update to this really is that it is southern coastal areas that will most likely see damaging wind potential.. inland areas (say 5 miles inland) should not be badly affected (though still enough to damage fragile garden plants).. the only variable is how wet the ground is, because even a relatively weak gust of wind can uproot trees is sodden ground. I don't think ground is that wet though yet.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Daniel wrote: So without the 1987 storm Southsea might not have ever planted all of those amazing Phoenix Canariensis to replace the trees that were uprooted.
Possibly not, a lot of trees were lost on Southsea common, though where the Phoenix canariensis were planted used to just be filled with summer bedding...
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Calm here, rain stopped, no wind, warm 13c.

Wheres my storm gone?????
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

RozDevon wrote:Calm here, rain stopped, no wind, warm 13c.

Wheres my storm gone?????
Gone? It's only just coming ;)
stephenprudence

storms hasn't reached yet, it's 'the calm before the storm'. In about 45 minutes things should start to increase, and will do so at a surprising rate.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

View the current windspeed around the country here http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Looks calm down in the south west at the moment and windiest in the south east.
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

No calm before the storm here, windy all day and still windy. Have been looking around me today, but 8 at the 10 trees are still full with leafes, that will defitnely going to bring damage tomorrow. Don't looking forward to the big traffic jams tomorrow around Rotterdam. National weather service gave code red for the coastal area's.
billdango

Post by billdango »

It looks like Southampton will miss the worst of this storm...

Although its been raining hard for the last hour or so the wind is no worse then a normal Autumn night here.

So I don't know what happened to the so called mighty storm but if it gets no more worse then it is now I for one will be very happy.

Maybe the Continent is having a bad night just now but we still have the dreadful north westerlies to come yet so lets see what happens then.

billdango :D
stephenprudence

Not due yet I dont think, but yes more to the east is likely.
billdango

Post by billdango »

I spoke to soon.... :shock:

The storm hit about an hour after my last post and it is pretty bad out there.

It looks and sounds like a typhoon and the rain is lashing down.

My tall palms are thrashing backwards and forwards so i hope they don't blow down before morning comes.

Big clean up tomorrow I think?

billdango :( :( :( :(
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Windy all night, and it's increasing at the moment, proberly in a few hours it will be on his strongest point over here.
jezza

Post by jezza »

I went out to work at 5.30am and there was no rain and it was pretty calm. Then at 5.50am it suddenly arrived. The car was being blown about, tree branches coming down. The windows in the building at work were rattling like mad. By 7am it all died down again. Coming home at 8am the roads were chaos with large trees down. I used the back roads and managed to get home albeit half an hour to do 4 miles. All calm now and the sun is out.

Assessed the damage in my garden. One small branch down that damaged (but not destroyed) a fence panel and one fence panel blew over. Nailed that panel back up and all is good.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Is the storm supposed to have arrived in London by now or not yet?
If so, it wasn't too bad. It knocked one flower off my Lapageria, and that's it icon_thumleft
jezza

Post by jezza »

otorongo wrote:Is the storm supposed to have arrived in London by now or not yet?
If so, it wasn't too bad. It knocked one flower off my Lapageria, and that's it icon_thumleft
It's passed here and i'm in bucks so not far from london. icon_thumright