Storm warning.

CW01

Re: Storm warning.

Post by CW01 »

Looks like the worst is over here now wind speed dropping
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

We had a short spell of strong winds,around midnight,but not too bad really.My echium uprooted,no great loss,it had seeded and was on it's way out anyway.A pleasant mild day so far today.Now thats over, I can get back to worrying about frost :)
CW01

Post by CW01 »

Spoke to soon seems as though the winds increasing again :shock:
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Storm is getting milder here now, but still average winds from 60-65 kph/37-40 mph. Storm got the highest windspeeds at the strongest point on the islands. The got used to high wind speeds, but the Island Vlieland recorded BFT 12, that are average windspeeds from at least 118 kph/75mph, and wind gust op to 152 kph/95 mph.

Of course lots of trees came down, but also damage to buildings. Traffic got stuck because highways are closed by the falling trees and branches. I decided to work at home today, so no hourslong drive to get home tonight.
Attachments
null_zps77204f62.png
billdango

Post by billdango »

Its quite calm now in Southampton after last nights typhoon.... :shock:

A few trees down in odd spots in the City but i still think we got of lightly and missed the worst of the storm. :D

Most of the damage was to Basjoos and other big leaf plants but thats not a problem now as winter is almost here anyway. :(

billdango icon_sunny
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Exotic Life wrote:Storm is getting milder here now, but still average winds from 60-65 kph/37-40 mph. Storm got the highest windspeeds at the strongest point on the islands. The got used to high wind speeds, but the Island Vlieland recorded BFT 12, that are average windspeeds from at least 118 kph/75mph, and wind gust op to 152 kph/95 mph.

Of course lots of trees came down, but also damage to buildings. Traffic got stuck because highways are closed by the falling trees and branches. I decided to work at home today, so no hourslong drive to get home tonight.
I suspect the Channel funnels the winds up through the straights of Dover, and depending on storm direction the first thing they hit is Belgium and Holland.

I have the same problem with Easterlies as they funnel into the Thames :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

More to come.
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Dave Brown wrote:
Exotic Life wrote:Storm is getting milder here now, but still average winds from 60-65 kph/37-40 mph. Storm got the highest windspeeds at the strongest point on the islands. The got used to high wind speeds, but the Island Vlieland recorded BFT 12, that are average windspeeds from at least 118 kph/75mph, and wind gust op to 152 kph/95 mph.

I suspect the Channel funnels the winds up through the straights of Dover, and depending on storm direction the first thing they hit is Belgium and Holland.

I have the same problem with Easterlies as they funnel into the Thames :roll:
Don't know if the channel had much influence, as the storm was still developing as it was moving northwest. Did you see the windspeeds in Northern Germany and Danmark? Windgusts up to 190 kph/118 mph over there!

The north of Holland (Even inland) and specially the island got a real hammering this time. Lots of damage to homes and way to many trees to count has been falling over. Not weird with almost minor hurricane force winds as average winds.
st1.png

Kristen

Post by Kristen »

So sad to see that row of trees lying down :(

We had incredibly ferocious winds here, and driving rain, but only for 30 minutes or less as it ripped through. Trees down and so on, although nothing fell into the garden to create heartache.

Utterly pee'd off though as the power went off as the wind built and my weather station reverted to logged data every 30 minutes, instead of 5 minute interval when connected to the PC, so by the time it made its next recording the storm had passed :(

Power came back on late last night ... several thousand houses in Suffolk still without power though.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

We were subjected to the 'Sting Jet' in SE England, and I'm wondering if that is what effected Germany.

To simplify it seems to be the hook in the tail of the storm interferes/deflects part of the Jet Steam down to surface levels, so they are not winds of the storm, but part of the Jet Steam itself.

Someone will tell me this is wrong. :lol:

See this explanation from BBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/24744462
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Exotic Life »

This second system was not that windy as last week but produced several tornado's above land, some have been quite impressive for European standards. Brought at those places some heavy damage to of course trees but also homes/businesses. Hail and big rainfall during thunderstorms as well reported, looks almost like active summer weather.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Wow, so Holland is tornado alley of Europe :ahhh!:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

How aweful EL,

Thank God its over but what an absolute mess.

It was really bad here last night with monsoon conditions. A much better day today but still got rain.

icon_cheers
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Another picture from one near Arnhem, different one then the picture in my post above.

Another one was growing near Culemburg..

Another two damage pictures from the first one.

Tornado alley? I do know we seem them a lot growing here but not reaching the ground all the time. However the last few years there where a few more, specially during active summer weather. This time, there where a few on the ground at the same time, that quite unique.