Storm warning.

Half Hardy

Storm warning.

Post by Half Hardy »

I have just read on the BBC web site,that the met. office have issued a storm warning for southern England(wind gusts of up to 80 mph predicted).
Time to batten down the hatches.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Storm warning.

Post by Dave Brown »

The storm they are showing for Monday has a very similar track to October 14/15 1987. They also did not know exactly what track it would take.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Half Hardy »

Dave Brown wrote:The storm they are showing for Monday has a very similar track to October 14/15 1987. They also did not know exactly what track it would take.
It's ok M.Fish says there's nothing to worry about :ahhh!: :oops: :oops: .
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Just because Mr Fish has not predicted this storm doesn't mean we should ignore it icon_shaking2
eddie

Post by eddie »

the area on the left will probably move in our direction...
don't know what will happen, if the big area with the 1 inside will change to a smaller 2 or 3 ?
estofex.png
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
flounder

Post by flounder »

I don't normally pay any attention to storm warnings as they tend not to be anything more than an average gale, but this one has got me jittery and protection measures will be taken with things that aren't screwed down.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Its windy already
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Calm here but heavy rain overnight
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Too early to predict a storm, and specially how strong it's going to be. All the models shown very windy conditions for monday, so that it's going to be windy that is for sure. However the outputs from the different models are still changing several times a day. We need to wait a bit longer to see what ex tropical depression Lorenzo and the other low pressure system going to do. And besides that it's also depending on the path what it is going to follow.

Don't know for the UK, but if the systems choose a path northwest/north of Holland it looks like that it will be strongest. When it's passing south of us, it will be windy but not exeptional. There is a thirth variant as well, that will gives us loads of rain as well.

Quite interesting as it has been a few years that a really heavy storm passed us. During the milder winters it was always wet and windy, so hopefully this will be a sign for next winter, lol.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Exotic Life wrote:Don't know for the UK, but if the systems choose a path northwest/north of Holland it looks like that it will be strongest. When it's passing south of us, it will be windy but not exeptional. There is a thirth variant as well, that will gives us loads of rain as well.
Our forecast is showing the track from Cornwall to London, with variance to be as far South as the south coast, or similarly a bit further North. Below that zone very windy, above it very wet, so I guess I hope that the centre comes straight over my house in Suffolk? :)
flounder

Post by flounder »

Kristen wrote:so I guess I hope that the centre comes straight over my house in Suffolk?
I thought your house and garden was Suffolk? :wink:

I'm now reading varying reports of wind strength, 80mph, 80kph, 1987 armageddon or it'll change track and dissipate icon_scratch
I'll go for severe gale 9 which isn't uncommon for this time of year on the channel coast
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

The issue here is 80mph is not a huge issue, I see that speed most years, but... the leaves are almost still all cloaking the trees (and a majority of trees are still in there healthy green leaf phase), so trees falling will be the main issue. Flooding as well will occur, and will be in the news.
Dim

Post by Dim »

a dumb question, but do we wrap Musa now before the wind, , or do we wait a couple more weeks?
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Im not sure you can do much to protect Musa basjoo from high winds, they seem very brittle indeed. (unless you construct a firm shelter of some kind?)
Dim

Post by Dim »

stephenprudence wrote:Im not sure you can do much to protect Musa basjoo from high winds, they seem very brittle indeed. (unless you construct a firm shelter of some kind?)
its about the timing of protecting them from the cold

I was going to wrap mine next weekend or the weekend after, but perhaps its best to do it before monday? ....

Mine are still producing new rollers/leaves though