UK St Jude Storm - severe weather warning 27/28 Oct 2013

Nathan

Re: UK Storm - severe weather warning 27/28 Oct 2013

Post by Nathan »

These pre-storm winds have been gusting to over 60mph here & my basjoo's have already had a few leaves snap off :?
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

RozDevon wrote:Hi DaveP, looks like you're a little bit sheltered around the corner in Torquay!
I'm in Heybrook Bay around the headland from you so will be interesting to see how the wind hits us both!!
Lets hope its not as bad as the hype!! As you say, we are well used to big blows from the SW.
No real change here except for a very thin cloud haze. That headland often shields us from the worst of the westerlies & s-westerlies so fingers crossed it will do it again. The local forecast now has westerly winds increasing to 45kph max. with rain and thunder overnight and tomorrow, dropping back to 20kph by late afternoon, so nothing very worrying. Despite the damage it can cause, I don't mind the notion of a major storm and there's something frighteningly wonderful about hurricane force winds. That said, I really don't fancy long disruptions to power supplies and if I can't make a cuppa I get extremely grumpy. Just shows how soft and trivial I've become :lol:
Sanke

Post by Sanke »

Weather here not too bad yet. Gusty winds but quite sunny. Bit of rain blowing in the wind & OH's washing drying really quickly
Discretion being the better part of valor. As all our good plants are in pots We have moved our fern, cordys & ensete into the conservatory. The phoenix palm is too far down the garden & too big to move so we have laid it down for safety

Probably al for nothing but being sure. Hope everyone else gets on okay
kata

Post by kata »

Good luck, keep safe everyone,

I hope I can say on tuesday my Acer is safe. :( :( :( Its a normally windy drive right where its planted.
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

DaveP
Just got my camp stove out of the shed just in case the power goes! At least we can have a cuppa!
And the candles!
Rain and windy here now Still warm 14c.
All the delicate plants sheltered beside the house and tucked between fence and gate. Anything else has finished flowering now anyway. Tree fern leaves whipping around like mad things. Hope the branches on the 25' Torbay palm don't fall on the car!! Sea still roaring nicely!
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Calm before the storm here, very light breeze.

Really hoping the fence panels holds up, there are 5 panels that are really old and the neighbour was supposed to replace last year and didn't.......Grrrrr
kata

Post by kata »

I hope they are very good quality fencing DB or you had it, :(

Last time it was extremely windy (not like we are expecting just now) it cost my son £2,000 to replace his. He lived with open fields at the back of his house.

Mine is, or seems, tough in tongue and groove, they were here when I got here. One area down where the bin run is may get taken as it looks weak, and is a very windy corner. (council fence) and not the same kind..

I tied up the Fern leaves, threw a sheet over it and pinned that down with tent securers.

I have moved all potted plants in a corner protecting each other.... :lol: I secured the Fir to the hanging basket bracket with strong string.

I wait..watch and hope all this will come to nothing. We are on yellow alert with Blackburn with Darwen, Liverpool, Manchester.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
billdango

Post by billdango »

Nathan wrote:These pre-storm winds have been gusting to over 60mph here & my basjoo's have already had a few leaves snap off :?
Same here Nathan...

A heavy band of rain just went through Southampton and the wind seems to have eased off a bit [the calm before the storm].

I'm dreading tonight as i live on a very windy road and because i have a corner house facing south west I normally get the worst of the wind.

So far all my palm trees are alright in spite of the leaves having a good thrash in the wind this morning.

Lets see what happens later on.

billdango :(
derrick

Post by derrick »

Inside with my larger stuff Ensete and Abutilons.My Brugmansia on the deck for now .
Attachments
DSCF3785.JPG
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

RozDevon wrote:DaveP
Just got my camp stove out of the shed just in case the power goes! At least we can have a cuppa!
And the candles!
Got plenty of candles ... and a gas stove so if all else fails, a brew and conventional read (using a real 'live' book) is a possibility ;-)
Tree fern leaves whipping around like mad things. Hope the branches on the 25' Torbay palm don't fall on the car!! Sea still roaring nicely!
Bit of very light drizzle here and that's about it. Radar is showing a fair old 'splodge' over the Brest peninsula stretching from Nantes to the Celtic Sea and just over Truro in the middle. It's showing as rain ATM with nothing too heavy and it seems to be rather too far south for those damaging winds on its southern flank to hit us. If this is that storm, then the south west and south will be above the mid-line (ie closer to the northern edge) when it arrives, leaving France or maybe the S.E. to take the brunt of the winds.
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

All good there then!!
Just been outside and its 13c, feeling warm, hardly any wind, light rain. No worries.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Not a good shipping forecast for the English Channel :shock:

Wight

Gale warnings - Issued: 0948 UTC Sun 27 Oct

Southwesterly severe gale force 9 decreasing gale force 8 soon, increasing violent storm force 11 later

Shipping Forecast - Issued: 1625 UTC Sun 27 Oct
Wind Southwest 7 to severe gale 9, becoming cyclonic severe gale 9 to violent storm 11 for a time, perhaps hurricane force 12 later.

Sea StateRough or very rough.

WeatherRain or squally showers.

VisibilityModerate or poor
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Nathan wrote:Not a good shipping forecast for the English Channel :shock:
Yes, the most easterly part of the northern flank of the depression is just starting to go overhead, which places the most damaging winds much further south - in the English Channel or along the coast of France. Steady rain here ATM and it will probably get much heavier. However, unless the depression suddenly takes a very sharp left and immediately races north (!), I suspect that the UK will be spared the most severe storm force winds.
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Well, I'm not selfish, I like to share, so lets give the storm to the French, we can have the next one!! LOL!!

Hurrah, we sleep well tonight!

Thanks for the shipping forecast, used to listen to it with parents a long time ago!

Thats got to be accurate, right?

So much for the apocalypse, courtesy of the paranoid DE!!!! LOL!!!
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

2000hr. Very windy and gusty. Rain has not long started.

Larger palms, nanas, aroids and brugs have been hidden inside the greenhouse, shed and garage today, but two hours well spent.

Bit worried that the giant Acacia tree in the garden backing on to mine might snap at fifteen feet up and the remaining thirty feet of triple-trunk and branches will fall on my greenhouse and neighbouring shed. Winds would have to be due west for that to happen and the forecast is south-west - in which case it's the neighbours conservatory that gets it :shock: No plants in there - it's a living room.

Irony if the plants are spared being ripped up by the wind only to be crushed by a tree :ahhh!: :ahhh!: