UK St Jude Storm - severe weather warning 27/28 Oct 2013

Deedee

Re: UK Storm - severe weather warning 27/28 Oct 2013

Post by Deedee »

Leigh wrote:
Deedee wrote:Calm here, not even a breeze.. For you living down south, did you not see the news last night! They were advising people NOT to go to work, that the trains wouldnt be running before 9 at least as they had to check the tracks for falling trees etc and to not use your cars as it could be too dangerous. Now i would of took that advice and stayed home..
Unfortunately the BBC don't pay my wages, and as I work for the Council I'm expected to get to work regardless of weather conditions.
Really Leigh, even if it was a danger to your life or others? Its only one day or morning even, Im sure the Council would understand, If management made it in themselvs that is :D
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Deedee wrote:
Leigh wrote:
Deedee wrote:They were advising people NOT to go to work, that the trains wouldnt be running before 9 at least as they had to check the tracks for falling trees etc and to not use your cars as it could be too dangerous. Now i would of took that advice and stayed home..
Unfortunately the BBC don't pay my wages, and as I work for the Council I'm expected to get to work regardless of weather conditions.
Really Leigh, even if it was a danger to your life or others? Its only one day or morning even, Im sure the Council would understand, If management made it in themselvs that is :D
Someone has to go and cut the fallen trees, and man the council phones to direct the tree cutters where to head next . . .
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

When I worked for a local education establishment, if it snowed and we could'nt get in, we got our pay docked!!
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Deedee wrote:
Leigh wrote:
Deedee wrote:Calm here, not even a breeze.. For you living down south, did you not see the news last night! They were advising people NOT to go to work, that the trains wouldnt be running before 9 at least as they had to check the tracks for falling trees etc and to not use your cars as it could be too dangerous. Now i would of took that advice and stayed home..
Really Leigh, even if it was a danger to your life or others? Its only one day or morning even, Im sure the Council would understand, If management made it in themselves that is :D
Yes really Dee, we are expected to go in regardless, these are two reasons why below
Conifers wrote: Someone has to go and cut the fallen trees, and man the council phones to direct the tree cutters where to head next . . .
RozDevon wrote:When I worked for a local education establishment, if it snowed and we could'nt get in, we got our pay docked!!
Leigh
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Just one of the horrific scenes of devastation caused by the wind in Lancashire:

otorongo

Post by otorongo »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Just one of the horrific scenes of devastation caused by the wind in Lancashire:
Judging by the length of the shadows it looks more like early August at least!
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Not even a breeze here but lots of rain.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
kata

Post by kata »

Oh look who has graced us with his precence, :lol:
Just one of the horrific scenes of devastation caused by the wind in Lancashire:
Great to see you are ok G.

icon_cheers
billdango

Post by billdango »

It was quite windy to about 5.30 this morning then the wind went around to the north east and got a lot less strong.We did have a few trees down in Southampton and a lot of fence panels seem to be missing around here but I think Southampton got off lightly.
Most Basjoos around here inc my garden lost a few leaves and the rest got shredded but they are all still standing so far.
Some palm leaves got damaged but no damage that won't come good next year.
It could have been a lot worse....

billdango :D
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The best way to describe what happened here is to watch the video in HD. icon_thumright

Regardless of when the first frosts are, St Jude Storm has effectively ended this season here :roll:

Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by otorongo »

Sorry to see that Dave. None of that here in London, just a regular gusty wind like we often get, nothing out of the ordinary. Even the pots on the concrete slab didn't get blown over.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

One mile as the crow flies from me is the top of a hill called Crown Point. The windiest place in London and no escape when the elements rage. If Heathrow got close to 70 mph early this morning then you can be sure it would be the same or worse here. Judging by the ferocious roar I heard around 7am this morning the gust had probably flown in direct from the airport :shock:

Apart from my lone planted out Colocasia 'Pink China' which was completely flattened, I only had some dessicated and shrivelled leaves left from the deciduous trees telling me how strong the winds had been.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Not even a breeze here but lots of rain.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
billdango

Post by billdango »

That wind strength was about the same as here along my road when I typed my post at 2.30 this morning.

My Palm trees were bending over with the force of that wind for nearly 3 hours.

How nothing was blown down I really don't know but after watching palm trees in hurricane videos it is amazing how tough they are in terrible conditions.

billdango :(
cordyman

Re: UK St Jude Storm - severe weather warning 27/28 Oct 2013

Post by cordyman »

Great video Dave thanks for sharing!

Was the chammy rocking at the start of vid? :shock: