UK St Jude Storm - severe weather warning 27/28 Oct 2013

User avatar
Deedee
Posts: 1706
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:17 am
Location: Newcastle upon tyne

Re: UK Storm - severe weather warning 27/28 Oct 2013

Post by Deedee » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:44 pm

Leigh wrote:
Deedee wrote:Calm here, not even a breeze.. For you living down south, did you not see the news last night! They were advising people NOT to go to work, that the trains wouldnt be running before 9 at least as they had to check the tracks for falling trees etc and to not use your cars as it could be too dangerous. Now i would of took that advice and stayed home..
Unfortunately the BBC don't pay my wages, and as I work for the Council I'm expected to get to work regardless of weather conditions.
Really Leigh, even if it was a danger to your life or others? Its only one day or morning even, Im sure the Council would understand, If management made it in themselvs that is :D


Conifers
Posts: 13147
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Northumbs

Re: UK Storm - severe weather warning 27/28 Oct 2013

Post by Conifers » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:46 pm

Deedee wrote:
Leigh wrote:
Deedee wrote:They were advising people NOT to go to work, that the trains wouldnt be running before 9 at least as they had to check the tracks for falling trees etc and to not use your cars as it could be too dangerous. Now i would of took that advice and stayed home..
Unfortunately the BBC don't pay my wages, and as I work for the Council I'm expected to get to work regardless of weather conditions.
Really Leigh, even if it was a danger to your life or others? Its only one day or morning even, Im sure the Council would understand, If management made it in themselvs that is :D
Someone has to go and cut the fallen trees, and man the council phones to direct the tree cutters where to head next . . .


RozDevon
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 4:33 pm
Location: South Devon UK

Re: UK Storm - severe weather warning 27/28 Oct 2013

Post by RozDevon » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:36 pm

When I worked for a local education establishment, if it snowed and we could'nt get in, we got our pay docked!!


User avatar
Leigh
Posts: 588
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:57 pm
Location: Portsmouth

Re: UK Storm - severe weather warning 27/28 Oct 2013

Post by Leigh » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:17 pm

Deedee wrote:
Leigh wrote:
Deedee wrote:Calm here, not even a breeze.. For you living down south, did you not see the news last night! They were advising people NOT to go to work, that the trains wouldnt be running before 9 at least as they had to check the tracks for falling trees etc and to not use your cars as it could be too dangerous. Now i would of took that advice and stayed home..
Unfortunately the BBC don't pay my wages, and as I work for the Council I'm expected to get to work regardless of weather conditions.
Really Leigh, even if it was a danger to your life or others? Its only one day or morning even, Im sure the Council would understand, If management made it in themselves that is :D
Yes really Dee, we are expected to go in regardless, these are two reasons why below
Conifers wrote: Someone has to go and cut the fallen trees, and man the council phones to direct the tree cutters where to head next . . .
RozDevon wrote:When I worked for a local education establishment, if it snowed and we could'nt get in, we got our pay docked!!
Leigh


User avatar
GoggleboxUK
Posts: 16877
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:58 pm
Location: Preston Lancashire

Re: UK Storm - severe weather warning 27/28 Oct 2013

Post by GoggleboxUK » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:18 pm

Just one of the horrific scenes of devastation caused by the wind in Lancashire:

Image
Once upon a time there were 3 little bears. Now there's thousands of them.


otorongo
Posts: 1426
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:12 pm
Location: sub-subtropical London

Re: UK Storm - severe weather warning 27/28 Oct 2013

Post by otorongo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:43 pm

GoggleboxUK wrote:Just one of the horrific scenes of devastation caused by the wind in Lancashire:
Judging by the length of the shadows it looks more like early August at least!


Tom2006
Posts: 8091
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Location: East Yorkshire UK

Re: UK Storm - severe weather warning 27/28 Oct 2013

Post by Tom2006 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:49 pm

Not even a breeze here but lots of rain.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.


User avatar
kata
Posts: 14589
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:03 pm

Re: UK Storm - severe weather warning 27/28 Oct 2013

Post by kata » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:11 pm

Oh look who has graced us with his precence, :lol:
Just one of the horrific scenes of devastation caused by the wind in Lancashire:
Great to see you are ok G.

icon_cheers
http://flowersnpalms.com/floraandfaunauk/

Rain...nowt but rain...Welcome to Lancashire............ :lol: :lol: :lol:


User avatar
billdango
Posts: 2854
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:12 am
Location: southampton

Re: UK Storm - severe weather warning 27/28 Oct 2013

Post by billdango » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:12 pm

It was quite windy to about 5.30 this morning then the wind went around to the north east and got a lot less strong.We did have a few trees down in Southampton and a lot of fence panels seem to be missing around here but I think Southampton got off lightly.
Most Basjoos around here inc my garden lost a few leaves and the rest got shredded but they are all still standing so far.
Some palm leaves got damaged but no damage that won't come good next year.
It could have been a lot worse....

billdango :D


User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 19686
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:17 am
Location: Chalk, (Thames Estuary) Kent, England 51.5N 0.3E
Contact:

Re: UK Storm - severe weather warning 27/28 Oct 2013

Post by Dave Brown » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:58 pm

The best way to describe what happened here is to watch the video in HD. icon_thumright

Regardless of when the first frosts are, St Jude Storm has effectively ended this season here :roll:

Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
_________________________________________________
Roll on summer.....
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk


otorongo
Posts: 1426
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:12 pm
Location: sub-subtropical London

Re: UK Storm - severe weather warning 27/28 Oct 2013

Post by otorongo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:30 pm

Sorry to see that Dave. None of that here in London, just a regular gusty wind like we often get, nothing out of the ordinary. Even the pots on the concrete slab didn't get blown over.


GREVILLE
Posts: 2866
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:39 am
Location: South London

Re: UK Storm - severe weather warning 27/28 Oct 2013

Post by GREVILLE » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:32 pm

One mile as the crow flies from me is the top of a hill called Crown Point. The windiest place in London and no escape when the elements rage. If Heathrow got close to 70 mph early this morning then you can be sure it would be the same or worse here. Judging by the ferocious roar I heard around 7am this morning the gust had probably flown in direct from the airport :shock:

Apart from my lone planted out Colocasia 'Pink China' which was completely flattened, I only had some dessicated and shrivelled leaves left from the deciduous trees telling me how strong the winds had been.


Tom2006
Posts: 8091
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Location: East Yorkshire UK

Re: UK Storm - severe weather warning 27/28 Oct 2013

Post by Tom2006 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:24 am

Not even a breeze here but lots of rain.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.


User avatar
billdango
Posts: 2854
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:12 am
Location: southampton

Re: UK Storm - severe weather warning 27/28 Oct 2013

Post by billdango » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:52 am

That wind strength was about the same as here along my road when I typed my post at 2.30 this morning.

My Palm trees were bending over with the force of that wind for nearly 3 hours.

How nothing was blown down I really don't know but after watching palm trees in hurricane videos it is amazing how tough they are in terrible conditions.

billdango :(


User avatar
cordyman
Posts: 7129
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:24 pm
Location: Northwest UK

Re: UK St Jude Storm - severe weather warning 27/28 Oct 2013

Post by cordyman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:41 pm

Great video Dave thanks for sharing!

Was the chammy rocking at the start of vid? :shock:


Post Reply