Outlook might be changing ????

stephenprudence

Re: Outlook remains excellent

Post by stephenprudence »

The outlook looks consistent if nothing else. I wouldn't say in my location it's as mild as it can get because it can, and frequently does get much milder in December, 14-15C is fairly common at least a few times per month in a normal December. That said, it's mild in general and apart from perhaps towards the end of the week towards sheltered western areas, no frosts are due. Certainly no damaging frosts at all.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

I should comment on how impressive and sustained the forthcoming mild spell looks, yes there will be a few frosts here and there, but as long as the high pressure doesn't lose too much pressure in the upper atmosphere, we could be headed for a rather mild December. All rather impressive, however I don't want to put the mockers on things, so I'll keep quiet :wink:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Dave Brown wrote:it seems that if there is no freeze forecast it is excellent even if below LTA icon_scratch icon_scratch like most of the rest of this year.

With the November figures finalised the first 11 months of this year are 0.9C BELOW LTA icon_thumbdown

I'm happy with a few degrees below LTA, as long as it stays dry icon_salut Nothing worse than rain in winter. icon_thumleft
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

I hope it continues on right into the holiday period. I will be doing a lot of work outside by then and dry weather is what I'm after. Sorry, kids, I prefer grey rather than white. (Plants will prefer blue - inside and out.)
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Once "spring" ended :roll: its been a great year of weather for us gardeners. If it has been slightly lower than average it will do me because summer was amazing here and winter is back to the levels of the earky 00s..... long may it continue.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Tom2006 wrote:Once "spring" ended :roll: its been a great year of weather for us gardeners. If it has been slightly lower than average it will do me because summer was amazing here and winter is back to the levels of the earky 00s..... long may it continue.
Same here, I don't know if my local temp is below lta, but even if so, I've had the best year from spring onwards I can recall in recent memory.

Highlights

Super dry
Lots of sun
2 frosts
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

cordyman wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:Once "spring" ended :roll: its been a great year of weather for us gardeners. If it has been slightly lower than average it will do me because summer was amazing here and winter is back to the levels of the earky 00s..... long may it continue.
Same here, I don't know if my local temp is below lta, but even if so, I've had the best year from spring onwards I can recall in recent memory.
I think the difference is you are talking about your LOCAL weather and with a high pressure anchored across the middle of the country I have had far more cool, grey northeasterlies than normal. Only July, August and October have been above LTA here

Of all my Hedychiums only Tara has flowered this year in late September. H. coccinea nornally has 20 to 30 flower spikes in late Sep thru Oct, but the growing season was so short it didn't do anything :roll:
Attachments
2013 temp Nov YTD.JPG
2013 temp Nov YTD.JPG (55.87 KiB) Viewed 913 times
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Tom2006 »

I think to be far Dave you are talking about your local weather. icon_thumright
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Tom2006 wrote:I think to be far Dave you are talking about your local weather. icon_thumright
Yes, but only to show that what is great in one area may not be in another.

For me an "Outlook remains excellent" that gives consistently below LTA for me, isn't excellent IMO :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by cordyman »

I only ever talk about my local weather :lol: :lol: :lol: icon_cheers

Youve had it rough this year by the sounds of it Dave icon_thumbdown
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Dave Brown wrote:
For me an "Outlook remains excellent" that gives consistently below LTA for me, isn't excellent IMO :roll:
It doesnt get any better here in December than this. Dave, surely this is good weather for you too? December, grey and dry and above zero is surely good . It can be -10C . deep snow, or raining and howling icy gales. I have been out in shirtsleeves on the odd occasion sun comes out, no wind and above zero it feels quite nice in the sun. I dont care if it is slightly below average, dry weather is always below average. Its not like the putrid cold we had in spring. To be average it has to be windy and raining from the south west.
7C that feels like 7C has to be better than 9C that feels like 4C. Outside right now its 9C , sunny, no wind and it feels a lot warmer than that.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Nigel wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:
It doesnt get any better here in December than this. Dave, surely this is good weather for you too? December, grey and dry and above zero is surely good . It can be -10C . deep snow, or raining and howling icy gales. I have been out in shirtsleeves on the odd occasion sun comes out, no wind and above zero it feels quite nice in the sun. I dont care if it is slightly below average, dry weather is always below average. Its not like the putrid cold we had in spring. To be average it has to be windy and raining from the south west.
7C that feels like 7C has to be better than 9C that feels like 4C. Outside right now its 9C , sunny, no wind and it feels a lot warmer than that.

Hit a balmy 12*c here today, and it felt like 12 too, had a potter around the garden and did some general tidying icon_thumleft Could get used to this icon_cheers
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Just been out doing some tidying up myself, can't believe how mild & calm it feel's!!, I've also never know some decidius tree's to still be in leaf :o . I reckon if we can get through to end of dec without to much bad weather it will set us up for very short winter break. karl.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

karl66 wrote:Just been out doing some tidying up myself, can't believe how mild & calm it feel's!!, I've also never know some decidius tree's to still be in leaf :o . I reckon if we can get through to end of dec without to much bad weather it will set us up for very short winter break. karl.

The only thing niggling the back of my mind is a change in the weather system, where winter proper starts in january, and continues till april/may as we seen last year. Could something have changed to shift it 2-3 months? icon_scratch
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Ps. also look at the next 5 days, dry dry dry !!!! this is perfect for me icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_cheers
Attachments
drydrydry.jpg