Serious life threatening storm heading to Philippines.

stephenprudence

Serious life threatening storm heading to Philippines.

Post by stephenprudence »

One of the strongest storms ever recorded is about to hit the central Philippine islands, the regions are eastern Visaya and central Visaya will be worst hit. If this storm maintains category 5 strength with sustained winds of 200mph (equivalent to an F4 tornado), there will be significant loss of life. I hope there isn't, but it's looking like that there will be with damaging winds, severe storm surges, flash flooding and mud slides.

Here is a webcam so you can track the winds.. the webcam is located in Boracay.

http://www.earthcam.com/world/philippines/boracay/
harryc

Re: Serious life threatening storm heading to Philippines.

Post by harryc »

Just saw it on the BBC news, absolute monster of a storm, hopefully with the forewarning people can take action in regard to their safety although it's not always possible for the poorest.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

That is one terrifying storm. Not sure how you would stay safe?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Didn't we have another one of these last month? :shock:
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Looks like a monster cyclone! Central pressure of 905HPA and gusts up to 380km!! Terrifying!

Having been through 2 severe tropical cyclones (Tracy in 1974 and Yasi in 2011) I know what these people are facing and my heart goes out to them. Ive got a niggling fear that we will be facing a monster cyclone this year over here, historically Darwin can expect a direct hit by a severe tropical cyclone every 40 years and Cyclone Tracy happened 39 years ago... :?
stephenprudence

Thankfully it seems the death toll was minimal, with only three reported dead. People where clearly used to onslaughts from natural disasters and that has ensured a low death rate. Significant structural damage though.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

stephenprudence wrote: Here is a webcam so you can track the winds.. the webcam is located in Boracay.

http://www.earthcam.com/world/philippines/boracay/
No surprise perhaps, "the camera is temporarily unavailable"
Troppoz wrote:Looks like a monster cyclone! Central pressure of 905HPA and gusts up to 380km!! Terrifying!
It was down to 895 hPa cental pressure last night
stephenprudence wrote:Thankfully it seems the death toll was minimal, with only three reported dead.
That's because it's only just started, and communications are mostly down. It'll rise a lot over the next few days as search and rescue teams manage to get out and survey the area.
stephenprudence

It cleared through Visayas a while ago Conifers and it's actually heading toward the Asian Mainland.. it's even cleared Boracay, it was a very fast moving storm, it is no longer affecting the Philippines directly (though obviously the aftermath will). Everyone in Cebu city and Mactan Island seems ok, and those locations aren't far from the worst affected areas.. the only difference is that in East Visayas it is more rural, with wooden houses etc.. so the damage will be highest there.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Yep, the storm may have gone through, but they won't yet have done helicopter surveys to find out how many rural villages have disappeared under mudslides. That happens a lot in the Philippines because of the massive deforestation there in recent decades. I'd still expect the death toll to rise substantially, just the same as it always does between days 2-10 after disasters (be they typhoons, quakes, tsunamis, volcanos, or whatever).
kata

Post by kata »

Two dead, I hope it stays at that, I also hope they moved to safer areas.

The worst Typhoon is living memory.

R.I.P.

Take care!
:(
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

4 confirmed dead tonight, but worst affected areas are are cut off and no communication.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

I fear if there are more casualties they will be in Tacloban.. a major city too, where a lot of people reside ... I sincerely hope not.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Death toll now reported as 1,200 on radio 4 news :x
doncasterpalmguy123

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

No time to joke but think of all the palms that have been blown over. Seems like such a waste