Serious life threatening storm heading to Philippines.

Tom2006

Re: Serious life threatening storm heading to Philippines.

Post by Tom2006 »

Hmmmm yes ordinarily I might but not next to that horrendous loss of life.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

doncasterpalmguy123 wrote:No time to joke but think of all the palms that have been blown over. Seems like such a waste
Probably fewer palms than for most other trees, as they are well adapted to coping with strong winds.

The real tragedy is the 95% deforestation by humans that the Philippines have suffered in recent decades. That will have killed vastly more palms than the typhoon, and by removing the protective forest cover, made the flooding - and loss of life - much worse.

This morning's estimates are now for 10,000 dead or missing.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

And now 10,000 in just one province alone, with another 3,000 in a second province - this is fast proving to be a major catastrophe Image
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Itis horrific, but it's a consequence of the strongest tropical storm in history. Socio-economics have a lot of answer for too.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

To give that deforestation graph a consistent time axis, just shows how bad it has been in recent times:
Attachments
0008.png
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

It looks like the aftermath of a tsunami. :( but sounds like the wind driven storm surge was effectively a tsunami.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by sanatic1234 »

I have been talking to a bloke from the Philippines and luckily where he lives the storm didn't hit but he said his country is in total devastation and it has hit the whole of the Philippines very hard, and that his country was already classed as a third world before the storm hit due to poverty! Not worth thinking about how bad it is going to be for many many years now. And quite possible more storms like that to come in the future?????
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

sanatic1234 wrote:I have been talking to a bloke from the Philippines and luckily where he lives the storm didn't hit but he said his country is in total devastation and it has hit the whole of the Philippines very hard, and that his country was already classed as a third world before the storm hit due to poverty! Not worth thinking about how bad it is going to be for many many years now. And quite possible more storms like that to come in the future?????
I am surprised that this topic has been so quiet, it seems that most on here are just not interested in a major disaster.

I am not in favour of foreign aid as most goes to country's governments and is used for arms or suppression of it's people, but this is genuine humanitarian need. They do not have the resources to overcome this without outside help.

I will judge countries on their response. UK government has committed most so far.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
karl66

Post by karl66 »

It's all very sad & I have sympathy for them all , I imagine this thread's been so quite as there's more than enough issue's closer to home to be dealt with although not all of them disaster's on this scale. karl.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Its a sad fact of life in the tropics facing severe cyclonic events, but this is just beyond the pale. So many lives lost and so much destruction, its overwhelming for a country like the Philippines and will take many years to recover. The death toll is high enough at the moment but will surely rise significantly.

Not only was it a powerful storm in terms of wind speed but it had a diameter of over 600km, giving it plenty of front to build up the seas and create the devastating storm surge which is what killed the vast majority of people. It was the most powerful cyclone to make landfall in meteorological history in terms of wind speed, setting new records, and was the fourth most powerful cyclone ever observed.

Heres a list of the 10 most powerful cyclones at landfall:

1. Typhoon Haiyan (Philippines - 2013)
2. Hurricane Camille (US - 1969)
3. Typhoon Joan (Taiwan - 1959)
4. Great Labor Day Hurricane (US - 1935)
5. Typhoon Megi (Philippines - 2010)
6. Typhoon Zeb (Philippines - 1998)
7. Tropical Cyclone Monica (Australia - 2006)
8. Hurricane Janet (Mexico - 1956)
9. Typhoon Bopha (Philippines - 2012)
10. Typhoon Joan (Philippines - 1970)

Whats interesting is that half of these were in the Philippines and 4 of them were within the last decade, but of course climate change isnt happening...

TC Monica crossed the coast 300km west of Darwin but was expected to have actually hit Darwin. That was a frantic time!! I remember the authorities telling people that if it hit us there were basically no buildings that would have survived undamaged or destroyed and that there was nothing the authorities could do to help. There was a fair bit of panic you could say and I recall a very nervous night waiting for what seemed like armageddon to arrive. Thankfully the cyclone turned unexpectedly and crossed the coast in a quite unpopulated area and nobody was injured which was miraculous considering the winds were 285km/hr! Apparently the landscape was devastated though and not a tree left standing and biologists have said it will take "hundreds" of years to recover.

Makes the mind boggle to see how the Philippines copes with destructive winds of 315km/hr, my heart goes out...
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Heres a video of whats claimed to be the strongest wind gust caught on video with Hurricane Charley that hit Florida in 2004 with wind speeds of 240km/hr, almost 100km/hr LESS than Typhoon Haiyan.

The wind really ramps up at around 3.00, and at around 4.00 you see the wind drop from a churning monster to a gentle breeze within seconds as the eye wall passed over. Its extraordinary footage and leaves no doubt about the destructive power of wind!

Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Troppoz wrote:Heres a video of whats claimed to be the strongest wind gust caught on video with Hurricane Charley that hit Florida in 2004 with wind speeds of 240km/hr, almost 100km/hr LESS than Typhoon Haiyan.
Brings back memories for me as we were on holiday in Orlando at the time. Quite an event as we experienced going through the eye of Charley.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

karl66 wrote:It's all very sad & I have sympathy for them all , I imagine this thread's been so quite as there's more than enough issue's closer to home to be dealt with although not all of them disaster's on this scale. karl.
id have thought more likely because it is in weather and climatology and the fact that it is so unreal to us,nobody knows just what to say other than that they are shocked and horrified
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Troppoz wrote:Heres a video of whats claimed to be the strongest wind gust caught on video with Hurricane Charley
Garage - ripped to pieces icon_thumbdown

Palms - undamaged icon_thumleft
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Conifers wrote: Garage - ripped to pieces icon_thumbdown

Palms - undamaged icon_thumleft
Most of the palms were snapped or blown over in Haiyan which shows the strength of the Typhoon.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright