The yo-yo thread, for whence and whom it may concern.

Tom2006

Re: First significant cold spell of the season due 18th Nov

Post by Tom2006 »

stephenprudence wrote:Not cold as in genuine cold spell no, but cold enough to classify it as a typical wintry spell. icon_thumleft

We've seen much worse, of course.
Looking nice and dry long term. I might actually get my grass cut.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Not that cold this morning and only a light frost. Low of 0.6c
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Temp at present 2c in the garden.
My son has just reported sleet at a high point on the outskirts of Plymouth this morning on his way to work.
Feels cold out there.
madgav

Post by madgav »

Just read one of the weather forums for the first time in months.. I was hoping for some reasoned discussion but its full of people who don't know what they are talking about, demonstrating their cold driven crackpot theories - it's got much worse - if that's possible!
Time and time again I read those two forums hoping for the same and time and time again I am disappointed (when will I ever learn).
There is another forum which is significantly more balanced but it is nowhere near as active. And there are still a few cold rampers on there too :(
Re the other two forums it's not really worth the time trawling through the reams and reams of complete drivel just to find that one balanced post from someone who has half a clue what they are talking about.
Add to that the frequent and obvious mild persecution of members who openly prefer mild weather.
I wish there was a balanced, active, UK-focused weather forum but if there is I haven't found it yet. Perhaps this forum is the closest we'll get :wink:

Back on topic and a minimal dusting of wet snow this morning, at the moment the temp looks like it may just have stayed the right side of freezing so possibly no air frost here yet. The outlook is fairly cold but not too cold - and dry (after tonight's rain) :wink:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

stephenprudence wrote:Not cold as in genuine cold spell no, but cold enough to classify it as a typical wintry spell. icon_thumleft

We've seen much worse, of course.
I think there is a relativity issue, as yes, it is much colder than most of us have had so far, but is not exceptional for the time of year. I think the weather forecasters over dramatise to a certain extent, as they compare temps to the average, and not to the normal variation. For instance 0C is called a cold night in December, but the normal variation is between +12 and -6C. Zero is just slightly below average min for most places.

Fell to +2.1C here between 07:02 and 08:03, but the really clear sky and air will allow the sun to warm up plants exposed to it, ready for the colder night tonight. If anything tomorrow looks a bit grim with this low sliding down from the NW on the jet. It will give cold, wet and windy, not the most pleasant weather for humans, or dry loving plants.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nigel »

I woke up to sunshine, no wind and a ground frost. That for me is very pleasant winter weather.
madgav

Post by madgav »

Nigel wrote:I woke up to sunshine, no wind and a ground frost. That for me is very pleasant winter weather.
With a 6.20am alarm I have no chance of waking up to sunshine on a weekday until the second half of March :(
Turning the clocks back was pointless until then, and just makes the winter even worse.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

It briefly fell to 2C for a matter of minutes before rising to 4C about 5am, unfortunately it was a night of hail and cold rain showers! Can't be pleasing the plants. The suns out but there's a nasty cold breeze blowing in off the sea
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

forecast shows and talks of sunshine all day, but clouded over about 10am here, now getting quite dark. Temp peaked at 5.3C and is now falling again.

Have to go to dig Ensete Hiniba, before it rains.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nigel »

madgav wrote:
Nigel wrote:I woke up to sunshine, no wind and a ground frost. That for me is very pleasant winter weather.
With a 6.20am alarm I have no chance of waking up to sunshine on a weekday until the second half of March :(
Turning the clocks back was pointless until then, and just makes the winter even worse.
LOL yes , I woke up at 6.30am or rather the kids woke me up at 6.30am, so i guess I didnt wake to sunshine, but to clear skies, with sun rising over a cup of coffee.
Forecast has now removed my one negative night, so it looks like Bristol may make it into december without an air frost. How 90,s is that.
madgav

Post by madgav »

Oh right, that makes sense :wink:
In most years, 90's included, my first air frost was about now. A few years I made it into December, with very very few frosts earlier than 2nd half Nov.
It's unlikely any year will come close to matching my 2011-12 winter though (first air frost 28th January, third and last air frost 3rd February). Anything remotely close to that would be fantastic icon_cheers :D
But I'm cautiously happy about the outlook. A bit of dry and settled weather at this time of year, possibly without any night time frosts/freezes, sounds pretty good to me.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Nigel wrote:
madgav wrote:
LOL yes , I woke up at 6.30am or rather the kids woke me up at 6.30am, so i guess I didnt wake to sunshine, but to clear skies, with sun rising over a cup of coffee.
Forecast has now removed my one negative night, so it looks like Bristol may make it into december without an air frost. How 90,s is that.
You may get a little surprise tonight, but it's borderline, I think you have an equal chance of hitting -0C tonight as not. However temperatures will rise so even if you do - no problem.

Certainly here tonight it will hit 0C before it starts to rise later.

The story across the sea is a little different Gav, it seems in my back yard we will entertain frequent light air frosts (in the region of -1 to -3C) for the 5-7 days following Friday. That consistency of air frost could start taking its toll on the less hardy plants, but they'll survive this bout of colder temperatures!

Today is bitter though.
madgav

Post by madgav »

stephenprudence wrote:
Today is bitter though.
It certainly is!!
Really struggled this morning, stuck at 2C as further showers passed through. Just about hitting 4C now and that looks like it may be the high during daylight hours. It's not forecast to drop further as cloud and rain move in from the northwest. The cloud is already spilling in over Donegal according to sat24.
Hope it doesn't drop too low for you guys :|
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

A fine day today with almost wall-to-wall sunshine. Unlike most days when I'm the only one in the office to have lunch the healthy way, today quite a few folks joined me to enjoy the sun (although there was one guy that sat in the shade :roll: ). I was in a t-shirt and it felt very pleasant. I was dressed solar, mind you - black t-shirt and dark blue jeans.

Unfortunately because of this clear sky the night is not looking good - the forecasts range from -1 to 0. I'm going to fleece things lightly.
madgav

Post by madgav »

Despite my earlier post it's warmed to a massive 5.5C, clouding over from the NW now. Should avoid any frost tonight.