The yo-yo thread, for whence and whom it may concern.

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: First significant cold spell of the season coming right

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I've just got this on BBC weather.
Attachments
tuesday.jpg
tuesday.jpg (6.03 KiB) Viewed 1700 times
pdid

Post by pdid »

Mine is showing Max 6 Min 2 for Tuesday.

Thursday onward doesn't look good though, if the low lows come to fruition we'll have -4, -3, -3, -3, -4, obviously these are the extremes though. The max mins are 6, 9, 7, 8, 8 which look a little nicer :D
jezza

Post by jezza »

I keep hearing people saying there's snow on the way but not here it aint!
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (11.27 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Yes snow is the big uncertain, I personally don't think much snow will occur... there was originally suggestion for snow in western areas, but now this looks like it might be associated with a warm sector, so fall as rain or sleet. The surface cold spell is still very much on, and will still be prolonged.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

No below-zero temps in the BBC 5-day forecast for London.
The other websites seem to have improved their outlooks too, the worst I see is a -2, and that's on Wunderground according to which we should already have had two -1's (and the lowest we've had was 1.8C). Looks like it may not be that bad in the SE, or London in particular?
stephenprudence

winderground predictions are even worse than BBC predictions. That's why I look at the models, the GFS model has done an upgrade which is removed those OTT silly temperatures of -10C everytime we get a bit of cold air. I'd say away from the coast, the temperatures are likely to be fairly correct most of the time.

The other realistic option is to look at the Met-office text forecasts but avoid automated 5 day forecasts, they are, in general very inaccurate for most.

Wednesday night is the coldest night of next week I feel, potential for temperatures in the central/west to be -5C or so in general (lower than that in spots), Further east still a notable frost on Wednesday, but not as harsh, thereafter, it looks like with an easterly setting up, it will be much less cold for the southeast, with night minimas staying largely above 0C.
madgav

Post by madgav »

Oh my goodness just caught up with this thread and was horrified at the impending doom, then I looked at the forecast and found it doesn't look so bad.
Of course I realise there is much uncertainty after late this week and with high pressure around I wouldn't want to see it right over us at this time of year - if this occurred then I think significant negatives would be possible/likely. Looked at the BBC and weathercast forecasts and they both seem to suggest that the high may be a little further north with the wind turning easterly into next weekend, if that were to happen it shouldn't work out too bad here since an easterly would be blowing right off the sea which is still at 11/12C.
Of course where we would like to return to is a milder westerly flow which is hinted at only late in the runs of both the GFS and ECM.
One thing's for sure, today/tomorrow could be our last double digit maximum for a bit! Lovely day today, part cloudy @ 13C :/
Attachments
temp.jpg
temp1_2.jpg
temp2.jpg
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Never believe the beeb output.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
harryc

Post by harryc »

Tom2006 wrote:Never believe the beeb output.

Or the GFS :lol:

Seriously though does any model have as many swings within 24hrs?
stephenprudence

The most accurate model in my opinion is the relatively new Met Office model (MOGREPS), which is in my experience much more accurate than both GFS and ECMWF. That model has been hinting at easterlies, whereas the other two suggest high pressure. As I tend to favour the Met Model over those two, I'd say I'm more in favour of a colder easterly situation developing. Even the MOGREPS isn't infallible though.. but it is more consistent and accurate than any other model.
madgav

Post by madgav »

Yea I find I can at times end up a degree or even two colder than the beeb forecast.
And I'm aware of the flack the GFS gets :)
An easterly shouldn't be too bad here, especially with November sea temps. Northerlies are generally more of a concern for me.
RozDevon

Re: First significant cold spell of the season due 18th Nov

Post by RozDevon »

Could you have a look at South Devon for me please?
Your weather discussions are far more interesting than the regular forecasts.
Many thanks.
stephenprudence

Is it coastal south Devon or inland? If it's coastal you may have a frost on Wednesday for a short time before midnight on Wednesday, but otherwise, it should be ok.. further inland you might have a sub zero frost but it should lift as the night goes on. Thereafter, for the south coast, not much in the way of frost, maybe some light frosts further inland.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

GFS is very reliable when you have consistency in the models , it is then quite reliable even 10 days out. When the models are like they are now, changing completely every 6 hours there is no reliability , but then which model CAN be considered reliable ?
All of them are all over the shop and throwing up different scenarios every few hours, so the fact is the weather is in a transitional confused phase and until it re-establishes a pattern nobody can make an accurate forecast more than a few days out. At least we dont have the dreaded Greenland block establishing as yet, that would be my biggest fear. The large areas of high pressure hovering around are warm highs , so that wont allow severe weather in the short term, but the danger is if they stay long enough the energy will drain out of them and by mid december if we still are in this phase it would be quite serious, I think thats what Stephen is worrying about happening if I understand correctly.
kata

Post by kata »

Generally a bleak winters day with very fine to damp weather, some fog early morning,
17112013.gif
17112013.gif (6.77 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
17112013wg.gif
17112013wg.gif (10.34 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
Want some... icon_sunny