Cold, ice, snow Tuesday 19th onwards. Be ready. . .

GoggleboxUK

Re: Cold, ice, snow Tuesday 19th onwards. Be ready. . .

Post by GoggleboxUK » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:04 pm

Blairs wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary with temps. Yes,I have to get some stuff in, but lowest here is tomorrow night at -1C. Biting bitterly cold winds are typical if the wind goes round to the east, so if anything northerlies are slightly milder.
Same here - temps look normal. The long term forecast from last week was for a low of -7 this Tuesday/Wed (19-20 Nov) latest is a low of 5C. Tonight is forecast for a low of 0C.
Not even a minus predicted for here at the moment.

Last winter was very similar, winds make things feel much colder obviously but plants don't mind and my Laurel hedge has thickened up sufficiently this year to increase the natural protection from wind in my garden.

stephenprudence

Re: Cold, ice, snow Tuesday 19th onwards. Be ready. . .

Post by stephenprudence » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:26 pm

That cold air is digging in fast, certainly there will be a frost, ice here tomorrow, and away from the immediate coast that will be the case everywhere. It's that really bitter breeze that's nasty right now though, though that should terminate later on.

huporhaha

Re: Cold, ice, snow Tuesday 19th onwards. Be ready. . .

Post by huporhaha » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:36 pm

We have some of that white fluffy stuff falling just now.........left wrapping my Dicksonia antarctica until the last minute and did battle with fleece, straw, bracken and wire netting this afternoon. Everything else of importance either snug in greenhouse or in the cold frames.........looks like this cold front is marching southwards quite fast.........

bordersboy

Re: Cold, ice, snow Tuesday 19th onwards. Be ready. . .

Post by bordersboy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:32 pm

Well thats it treeferns all wrapped up. Just the first wrap.The second one happens if -15c is forecast again this year. Luckily my ebay fleece bargain has left me with another 200m of the stuff just in case it gets seriously cold :shock: .

pdid

Re: Cold, ice, snow Tuesday 19th onwards. Be ready. . .

Post by pdid » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:03 pm

bordersboy wrote:Well thats it treeferns all wrapped up. Just the first wrap.The second one happens if -15c is forecast again this year. Luckily my ebay fleece bargain has left me with another 200m of the stuff just in case it gets seriously cold :shock: .
Got a link? I could do with a bit more. Cheers

bordersboy

Re: Cold, ice, snow Tuesday 19th onwards. Be ready. . .

Post by bordersboy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:54 pm

pdid wrote:
bordersboy wrote:Well thats it treeferns all wrapped up. Just the first wrap.The second one happens if -15c is forecast again this year. Luckily my ebay fleece bargain has left me with another 200m of the stuff just in case it gets seriously cold :shock: .
Got a link? I could do with a bit more. Cheers
Bargain ! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garden-Plant- ... 3387909201

pdid

Re: Cold, ice, snow Tuesday 19th onwards. Be ready. . .

Post by pdid » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:23 am

bordersboy wrote:
pdid wrote:
bordersboy wrote:Well thats it treeferns all wrapped up. Just the first wrap.The second one happens if -15c is forecast again this year. Luckily my ebay fleece bargain has left me with another 200m of the stuff just in case it gets seriously cold :shock: .
Got a link? I could do with a bit more. Cheers
Bargain ! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garden-Plant- ... 3387909201
It's all mine! Cheers for that icon_thumleft

jungle jas

Re: Cold, ice, snow Tuesday 19th onwards. Be ready. . .

Post by jungle jas » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:36 pm

I am at present looking out of the front window over the estuary to the mountains beyond which are covered with snow! Much colder today. Like living in the Alps! :lol: Actually it could be hail as I found some in the ridges of the Trachycarpus and T rex leaves this morning.

Rabbie
Posts: 513
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: N Ireland

Re: Cold, ice, snow Tuesday 19th onwards. Be ready. . .

Post by Rabbie » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:25 pm

Frozen slush coated everything this morning with snow on local hills, local weather station had a low of 1c.

bordersboy

Re: Cold, ice, snow Tuesday 19th onwards. Be ready. . .

Post by bordersboy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:37 pm

Frozen car handles for me this morning but no ice on the pond yet so the fish are active and happy icon_fish

cordyman

Re: Cold, ice, snow Tuesday 19th onwards. Be ready. . .

Post by cordyman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:50 pm

2*c at the moment, bring it on icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft

stephenprudence

Re: Cold, ice, snow Tuesday 19th onwards. Be ready. . .

Post by stephenprudence » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:14 pm

cordyman wrote:2*c at the moment, bring it on icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
Count yourself lucky, you're the only one in your area with above 0C temperatures (for miles!) :shock:

The cloud will come in soon enough over the region anyway.

I don't think it will be as cold as expected either, the southern half of the country is not that cold.

cordyman

Re: Cold, ice, snow Tuesday 19th onwards. Be ready. . .

Post by cordyman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:23 pm

0*c now WTF :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

billdango

Re: Cold, ice, snow Tuesday 19th onwards. Be ready. . .

Post by billdango » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:25 pm

Its still about +5c here in Southampton but it will get a lot colder soon as the skies have been clear and sunny nearly all day.

It may get down to 0c in the City center by dawn and probably to about -1c in my side entrance.

I finished tying up the large Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in St denys this afternoon because if it does go below freezing any night over the next week or two at least the center of the palm is well protected.

I may well leave it tied up till March as it it is a major hassle to keep climbing up a 15 foot ladder and struggling with loads of bungy rubbers and rope.

billdango icon_sunny

RozDevon

Re: Cold, ice, snow Tuesday 19th onwards. Be ready. . .

Post by RozDevon » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:48 pm

Temp tonight 2.5c, with moon out, very chilly indeed, no wind.

Post Reply