Cold, ice, snow Tuesday 19th onwards. Be ready. . .

cordyman

Re: Cold, ice, snow Tuesday 19th onwards. Be ready. . .

Post by cordyman »

stephenprudence wrote:
cordyman wrote:Get protecting Stephen, no need for any losses lol icon_study
Nothing to protect really, the only plants that might get damaged are the Agave, Cistus and Convolvulus cneorum but they will grow back!. Otherwise, nothing in my garden which is tender any longer icon_cheers
That's good, I think icon_scratch :lol:
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

It means no more heartaches, but also limited subtropicals :lol:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

This will be the first year I've had Dicksonia antarctica, Brahea, Butia and Cycas Revoluta planted out.

BBC is forecasting -1c for Tuesday so I probably won't get a subzero just yet.

Wrapping material remains on standby.

;)
harryc

Post by harryc »

I think you may be in for a shock Goggs if you think you won't get a air frost next week.

H
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

Glad i read this. I miss these as normally under the other forum.im pretty well prepared. Just need more giant fleece bags
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Panama Pete wrote:Glad i read this. I miss these as normally under the other forum.im pretty well prepared. Just need more giant fleece bags
How do you miss them icon_scratch Just hit the 'Read unread posts' link under the search window. Shows all unread posts from all forums. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GoggleboxUK »

harryc wrote:I think you may be in for a shock Goggs if you think you won't get a air frost next week.

H
Air frosts aren't a problem, everything I have planted out will shrug them off without a problem.

I only need to worry when it looks like we'll get a spell of below -5c and ice days.

However, I have today built a brick enclosure around my Brahea Armata and will add a double fleece bag over the top should temps dip severely.

I've also got duvets, bivvi bags, sleeping bags and rolls of fleece at the ready should they be needed.

;)
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

Glad i read this. I miss these as normally under the other forum.im pretty well prepared. Just need more giant fleece bags
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Panama Pete wrote:Glad i read this. I miss these as normally under the other forum.im pretty well prepared. Just need more giant fleece bags

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I'm still not ready for this bad weather :!: :ahhh!:
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

Sorry double posts. Thanks for tip dave. Never used that. Its ten celcious here. No gardening for me. My lads party with 19 kids. Wish me luck.
RoyBhamUK

Post by RoyBhamUK »

cordyman wrote:very nice garden! what method do you use on all those Musas?

I just need to do a few more jobs this weekend, dig up some aroids etc, then i'm all set for -12*c if it so desires :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks for the kind words folks. :D Cordyman, I use loft insulation to wrap my banana's I buy it from Wickes, see if you can spot them in this image? They look like silver rockets. 8)
Attachments
Wrapped Bananas.JPG
derrick

Post by derrick »

Done some of mine today pain in the neck . Some years don't even need protection Basjoo in the south .Just got some palms to sort out .
Attachments
DSCF3799.JPG
DSCF3798.JPG
billdango

Post by billdango »

I have never wrapped or protected my Basjoo's and they always come through each year even when sometimes like[2010] they are cut to the ground.

This year so far they are only wind damaged and the leaves are still brushing the top floor gutter on my house.

The ones in St denys palm garden are the same as mine and are only wind damaged.

Last winter only the leaves collapsed in the cold but the stems were undamaged.

I would rather give more serieus protection to a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP or any other palm tree that needs it as palm trees are so expensive to replace.

Any pot plants should of course go under cover during the cold snap.

billdango icon_sunny
derrick

Post by derrick »

I also have a Phoenix I need to protect its only small not tried one before ?