Cold, ice, snow Tuesday 19th onwards. Be ready. . .

jungle jas

Re: Cold, ice, snow Tuesday 19th onwards. Be ready. . .

Post by jungle jas »

On the strength of the weather warning I started to protect my tender plants by mulching the roots with Oak leaves as usual. Then went to find my fleece bags from the shed only to find they had disappeared. To say I was piffed off is an under statment. :ahhh!: I think someone must have thrown them out without realising what they were! The problem is I can't get any more before the cold arrives so I hope its not too severe. :roll: icon_thumright
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

You could try layers of newspaper and try and tie it down somehow. Better than nothing!!!
My mum used to cover her chrysanthemum flowers when it was frosty and it seemed to work.
Good luck!
daftbanana

Post by daftbanana »

I'm so behind with lifting and protecting this year but I've got Tuesday off work so will be lifting a lot of Canna and Dahlia's still planted out which is just as well as we're forecast to have -2C on Tuesday night. I've lifted my Ensete's but still haven't done anything with Sikki's and Basjoo's this year.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

RozDevon wrote:You could try layers of newspaper and try and tie it down somehow. Better than nothing!!!
My mum used to cover her chrysanthemum flowers when it was frosty and it seemed to work.
Good luck!
Thanks for the tip you have got me thinking, I have plenty of dust sheets and blankets I will give that a go.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

daftbanana wrote:I'm so behind with lifting and protecting this year but I've got Tuesday off work so will be lifting a lot of Canna and Dahlia's still planted out which is just as well as we're forecast to have -2C on Tuesday night. I've lifted my Ensete's but still haven't done anything with Sikki's and Basjoo's this year.
The cold hits tonight so if you can get it done today try icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary with temps. Yes,I have to get some stuff in, but lowest here is tomorrow night at -1C. Biting bitterly cold winds are typical if the wind goes round to the east, so if anything northerlies are slightly milder.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by stephenprudence »

We'll have to see how it turns out. It's easy to look at the GFS model and say there won't be any cold, but it's pitting against the other models.. it could turn out to be right, but statistically speaking, it's unlikely it will. I think dry, with frost, is the general expectation for the longer term.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Dave Brown wrote:I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary with temps. Yes,I have to get some stuff in, but lowest here is tomorrow night at -1C. Biting bitterly cold winds are typical if the wind goes round to the east, so if anything northerlies are slightly milder.
Same here - temps look normal. The long term forecast from last week was for a low of -7 this Tuesday/Wed (19-20 Nov) latest is a low of 5C. Tonight is forecast for a low of 0C.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Dave Brown wrote:I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary with temps. Yes,I have to get some stuff in, but lowest here is tomorrow night at -1C. Biting bitterly cold winds are typical if the wind goes round to the east, so if anything northerlies are slightly milder.
I agree nothing severe but certainly with wind chill many of us will struggle to get above freezing point for potentially quite a while and we know that can cause big problems.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Daily fail and express are talking about 100 days of snow!!! Wtffffffff lol
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Given 100 days covers the rest of Autumn and Winter I'd say that it's an extremely transparent article that doesn't need or deserve reading

Alas if these headlines sell papers I have to declare the British public brainless idiots...
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Temp currently 9.5c but it feels much colder with an icy chill about it. Bit of rain at present.
Just finished wrapping two tree ferns with fleece all up trunks and lots of fleece on crown with some fronds bent over and then sacking layer around the trunks as well. Tied the fronds up together with string. Looks nice and toasty!
Let the worst happen!
We're ready for it!
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

cordyman wrote:Daily fail and express are talking about 100 days of snow!!! Wtffffffff lol
Very likely true. :ahhh!:

On the Cairngorm ski slopes :wink: :lol:
billdango

Post by billdango »

Its still about +10c down here in Southampton but mostly cloudy.

I started to tie up the huge Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in the St denys palm garden this afternoon but ran out of bungy rubbers
Using the wifes knicker elastic is next to useless as I had already pinched the best bits to repair my catapult?

So I have to fork out good dosh tomorrow and finish the job properly.

I know it rarely gets that cold in Southampton but I don't want any ice collecting near the growing point so although its hard work tieing up is the safest option.

billdango :D