Cold, ice, snow Tuesday 19th onwards. Be ready. . .

GoggleboxUK

Re: Cold, ice, snow Tuesday 19th onwards. Be ready. . .

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Blairs wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary with temps. Yes,I have to get some stuff in, but lowest here is tomorrow night at -1C. Biting bitterly cold winds are typical if the wind goes round to the east, so if anything northerlies are slightly milder.
Same here - temps look normal. The long term forecast from last week was for a low of -7 this Tuesday/Wed (19-20 Nov) latest is a low of 5C. Tonight is forecast for a low of 0C.
Not even a minus predicted for here at the moment.

Last winter was very similar, winds make things feel much colder obviously but plants don't mind and my Laurel hedge has thickened up sufficiently this year to increase the natural protection from wind in my garden.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

That cold air is digging in fast, certainly there will be a frost, ice here tomorrow, and away from the immediate coast that will be the case everywhere. It's that really bitter breeze that's nasty right now though, though that should terminate later on.
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

We have some of that white fluffy stuff falling just now.........left wrapping my Dicksonia antarctica until the last minute and did battle with fleece, straw, bracken and wire netting this afternoon. Everything else of importance either snug in greenhouse or in the cold frames.........looks like this cold front is marching southwards quite fast.........
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

Well thats it treeferns all wrapped up. Just the first wrap.The second one happens if -15c is forecast again this year. Luckily my ebay fleece bargain has left me with another 200m of the stuff just in case it gets seriously cold :shock: .
pdid

Post by pdid »

bordersboy wrote:Well thats it treeferns all wrapped up. Just the first wrap.The second one happens if -15c is forecast again this year. Luckily my ebay fleece bargain has left me with another 200m of the stuff just in case it gets seriously cold :shock: .
Got a link? I could do with a bit more. Cheers
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

pdid wrote:
bordersboy wrote:Well thats it treeferns all wrapped up. Just the first wrap.The second one happens if -15c is forecast again this year. Luckily my ebay fleece bargain has left me with another 200m of the stuff just in case it gets seriously cold :shock: .
Bargain ! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garden-Plant- ... 3387909201
pdid

Post by pdid »

bordersboy wrote:
pdid wrote:
Bargain ! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garden-Plant- ... 3387909201
It's all mine! Cheers for that icon_thumleft
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I am at present looking out of the front window over the estuary to the mountains beyond which are covered with snow! Much colder today. Like living in the Alps! :lol: Actually it could be hail as I found some in the ridges of the Trachycarpus and T rex leaves this morning.
Rabbie

Post by Rabbie »

Frozen slush coated everything this morning with snow on local hills, local weather station had a low of 1c.
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

Frozen car handles for me this morning but no ice on the pond yet so the fish are active and happy icon_fish
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

2*c at the moment, bring it on icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

cordyman wrote:2*c at the moment, bring it on icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
Count yourself lucky, you're the only one in your area with above 0C temperatures (for miles!) :shock:

The cloud will come in soon enough over the region anyway.

I don't think it will be as cold as expected either, the southern half of the country is not that cold.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

0*c now WTF :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
billdango

Post by billdango »

Its still about +5c here in Southampton but it will get a lot colder soon as the skies have been clear and sunny nearly all day.

It may get down to 0c in the City center by dawn and probably to about -1c in my side entrance.

I finished tying up the large Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in St denys this afternoon because if it does go below freezing any night over the next week or two at least the center of the palm is well protected.

I may well leave it tied up till March as it it is a major hassle to keep climbing up a 15 foot ladder and struggling with loads of bungy rubbers and rope.

billdango icon_sunny
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Temp tonight 2.5c, with moon out, very chilly indeed, no wind.