Its Snowing in Rotherham!

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Its Snowing in Rotherham!

Post by Dave Brown »

Tom2006 wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:The problem occurs if the ground is frozen prior to the snowfall. If it is the Sn*w just holds the cold in....and then if skies clear radiation frosts occur.
That is not what happened here. I had 2 soil temp probes at 10cm and 30cm depth in 2010. The severe frosts from 24th to 30th Nov on bare ground froze the surface, and I recorded 2C at 10cm and 5C at 30cm. On 5th Dec I re-read the probes, after clearing 33cm of laying Sn*w. The surface had thawed and was wet, while the 10cm probe temp had risen from 2C to just under 5C, and the 30cm probe risen from 5C to just under 7C. All this occurred while radiation frost above snowfield had given temps to as low as -10C including 2 ice days.

To me this shows the 'blanket' of Sn*w had insulated the ground allowing it to gradually warm from below, as soil temp at around 2m remains near 10C year round. :wink:
But you didn't have it anywhere near as cold as us Dave. We had -14C as a high one day, and that was in the middle of a two weeks sub zero spell with over 2 level feet of Sn*w. The coldest spell of winter weather on record up here, and I believe the records go back hundreds of years.
Yes, but you are talking above snow level temps, and the snow insulated the ground from them. At is greatest here the difference was 15C
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Tom2006 »

But you didn't have it anywhere near as cold as us Dave. We had -14C as a high one day, and that was in the middle of a two weeks sub zero spell with over 2 level feet of Sn*w. The coldest spell of winter weather on record up here, and I believe the records go back hundreds of years.[/quote]

Yes, but you are talking above Sn*w level temps, and the Sn*w insulated the ground from them. At is greatest here the difference was 15C[/quote]

It took literally weeks for the ground to thaw out Dave, and once it had all frozen it didn't matter what the difference was because everything was frozen. I'm not saying snow is not an insulator, all I'm saying is in some cases, and in a number of cases over the last few winters here, its been a curse, not a blessing.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
rufc15lizzie

Post by rufc15lizzie »

The snow in Rotherham didnt last long, a few hours later the rain washed it away.
that picture of the black car on its roof was at the extrance to my workplace. It was the ice that morning that was the problem not the snow it was really bad, 5-10mph driving and you were still skidding all over. but on that patch of road you see plenty of cars like that all year round, usually due to the lorries going too fast.

Post by fern Rob »

They are gritting the motorway .