Another 1988?

stephenprudence

Another 1988?

Post by stephenprudence »

I don't want to incur the wrath of the anti-long range forecast crew, however if anyone is familiar with the charts at the moment, does anyone see the similarity to 1988? A High securely fastened to western Europe, with mild air flooding across the UK.. quite a consistent feature. I don't want to come under fire for going with the charts again.. it's certainly an interesting potential prospect though, with a mild end to Autumn, and potentially a mild start to Winter.

Nigel what do you think about it?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Another 1988?

Post by Dave Brown »

1988 was a blur weather wise as was the year Aidan was born, all I remember was being beaten up for getting him sunburnt at 3 weeks old in September :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by stephenprudence »

Well while your bruises were healing, we had a persistently mild winter, in fact the mildest winter on record!
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I've never been one for remembering weather from what I was a kid (would have been ten in 88). Mild sounds good to me though. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

My oldest was also born in 1988 and he spent most of the fine summer in the garden without getting sunburnt. He was always put to sleep in our brilliant McClaren pram and placed in a shady spot when hot and in the sun when it was colder in the Autumn. I remember many mild days in the winter when he was wrapped up in the pram and shunted outside.

He was (and still is) a brilliant sleeper. So he won't remember much of what 1988 was like :lol: I'll settle happily for that winter to be repeated this time. Have to agree with Stephen that it looks promising.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Stephen you know me, when the express was forecasting the end of the world, I said at end october this set up was one that could last a long time and very different from recent years, and the outlook was as good as it could be. I dont see any change to that scenario, the chart looks the same now , it is set in this pattern , very 90,s for me.

The doom and gloom merchants do seem to have forecast january as doomsday though , not sure on what basis, but thats still a long way off and things could still change.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

stephenprudence wrote:Well while your bruises were healing, we had a persistently mild winter, in fact the mildest winter on record!
I hope now we have a winter like the one you describe .
madgav

Post by madgav »

I wasn't gardening (exotic or otherwise) in 1988 but I was 20 years old so remember the mildness of winter 88/89 quite well. Another winter like that would be very nice icon_thumleft
Nice looking week ahead with HP to the W/SW, mild and moist Atlantic air circulating around it and giving calm, dry, if quite cloudy or part-cloudy conditions - but mild. There was a winter about 10 years ago where that pattern dominated from mid-January to late February, it was the nicest period of winter weather I can remember. Especially since the cloud was quite thin (stratocumulus) and the days bright with a little sunshine at times.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

madgav wrote: Nice looking week ahead with HP to the W/SW, mild and moist Atlantic air circulating around it and giving calm, dry, if quite cloudy or part-cloudy conditions - but mild.
That is your local forecast, as here that set up gives strong, cold, damp NE breezes which will keep it decidedly unpleasant.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nigel »

Dave Brown wrote:
madgav wrote: Nice looking week ahead with HP to the W/SW, mild and moist Atlantic air circulating around it and giving calm, dry, if quite cloudy or part-cloudy conditions - but mild.
That is your local forecast, as here that set up gives strong, cold, damp NE breezes which will keep it decidedly unpleasant.
Never look a gift horse in the mouth...... weather at this time of year ranges from unpleasant to vile. Decidely unpleasant has to be better than most of what end November to december can dish up. Dave you have some 10C days in the forecast.
madgav

Post by madgav »

Yes I didn't realise how differently this is affecting different parts of the country until I looked at this morning's wx reports. Hoping to be in Crawley on business on Wednesday and it's looking a little chilly, if calm.
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

I havn't even had a real frost yet on the lawn or plants. Ive had it good so far. Cool again tonight though icon_bigsmurf