Yet another storm 23-12-13

SteveP

Re: Yet another storm 23-12-13

Post by SteveP »

Kenley weather station fairly close to me showing steady 40mph+ and 70mph+ gusts, and it's fairly sheltered :shock:

Can't sleep and roof tiles shifting about. Large Cordy across the road snapped before it got this bad. Fingers crossed.

Steve
kata

Post by kata »

Blowing in from due south straight into the lounge windows,
I love the sound of the elements...as long as I am inside... :lol: :lol:

But...keep safe everyone.

:(
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Conifers wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:
stephenprudence wrote:rather quiet here! Meant to be a little stronger tomorrow but nothing unusual... definitely worst for Scotland west, and south coast.
How does it jump from the south coast to Scotland without hitting me?
Because there's steep pressure gradients in two different parts of the Low - it's a fairly complex one. 1 (at its strongest now) is the area that's hitting the southeast now, 2 (still strengthening) is the area that's

going to hit NW Scotland tomorrow.

Thanks for explaining that. Been gusty overnight but no strong winds yet.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Did everyone make it?
CW01

Post by CW01 »

Just about Kris,wind started to get really bad here yesterday afternoon then continued into the small hours another two fence panels gone on my side icon_thumbdown Trachycarpus rocking in the wind but still upright icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Highest winds and gust were at around 23:30 last night reaching 69.3mph (110.9km/h) and 68.4mph (110.1km/h) just after midnight this morning. Rainfall was 47.7mm (1.88”) but rainfall rate reached a staggering 521.7mm (20.5”) per hour just before 4am. Still finding it difficult to believe, but the sensors appear to be working normally.

I re-erected much of my fencing in the spring, resetting or replacing dodgy posts so fencing still intact. TV Aerial has been twisted around by about 45° so Freeview has become Flakyview, and Cacti Bell Cloche has gone "somewhere over the rainbow, where blue birds fly" :(

Weather station anemometer pole is leaning. Buddha head over, and sitting Buddha was in the pond. Metal Frog wall ornament was no longer on the fence, found under a Dicksonia about 20 ft away.

Dahlia imperialis about 10ft tall was in bud... now still in bud, but leafless :-o. Grooved T'Rex has had most leaf petioles snapped, and Canna stems broken and smashed. Front Garden Musa basjoo decidedly dodgy, but 40ft Eucalypus globulus still standing and no major boughs snapped.

Still too windy to get on the roof to sort aerial out, maybe a job for later.

BUT no major damage :)
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by cordyman »

Dave Brown wrote:Highest winds and gust were at around 23:30 last night reaching 69.3mph (110.9km/h) and 68.4mph (110.1km/h) just after midnight this morning. Rainfall was 47.7mm (1.88”) but rainfall rate reached a staggering 521.7mm (20.5”) per hour just before 4am. Still finding it difficult to believe, but the sensors appear to be working normally.

I re-erected much of my fencing in the spring, resetting or replacing dodgy posts so fencing still intact. TV Aerial has been twisted around by about 45° so Freeview has become Flakyview, and Cacti Bell Cloche has gone "somewhere over the rainbow, where blue birds fly" :(

Weather station anemometer pole is leaning. Buddha head over, and sitting Buddha was in the pond. Metal Frog wall ornament was no longer on the fence, found under a Dicksonia about 20 ft away.

Dahlia imperialis about 10ft tall was in bud... now still in bud, but leafless :-o. Grooved T'Rex has had most leaf petioles snapped, and Canna stems broken and smashed. Front Garden Musa basjoo decidedly dodgy, but 40ft Eucalypus globulus still standing and no major boughs snapped.

Still too windy to get on the roof to sort aerial out, maybe a job for later.

BUT no major damage :)
#HOLY!

give the roof a miss Dave, tv not worth the risk until its really calmed down, browse it out instead icon_thumleft
flounder

Post by flounder »

I've got a garden full of polystyrene sheet bits, branches and flower pots... and the christmas tree is horizontal. No one injured so I can carry on with the festive period.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

flounder wrote:I've got a garden full of polystyrene sheet bits, branches and flower pots... and the christmas tree is horizontal. No one injured so I can carry on with the festive period.
Was the christmas tree planted?
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Dave Brown wrote:and Cacti Bell Cloche has gone "somewhere over the rainbow, where blue birds fly" :(
Same here - I think that's my 3rd of the autumn! Never mind, they're pretty cheap - just hope the deluge the cactus got overnight won't finish it off prior to replacing the cloche.

As for the storm, definitely the worst I can remember for many years to hit my part of the south coast. I made several rescue raids in to the garden during the evening as I saw various bits hot footing across the lawn, but came through fairly unscathed I think. No planted plant damage. I lost the roof of my citrus retreat, so evacuated as many as I could in to the conservatory and will replace AFTER week it all again on Friday!
flounder

Post by flounder »

fern Rob wrote:
flounder wrote:I've got a garden full of polystyrene sheet bits, branches and flower pots... and the christmas tree is horizontal. No one injured so I can carry on with the festive period.
Was the christmas tree planted?
No. It's a real one but screwed into a stand. Pulled the screws out so an extra five minutes putting it right icon_thumleft
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Seems like another storm is on its way. Really windy outside.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Yes, sadly another on its way although shouldn't be quite a bad. Flooding a big problem now. icon_thumbdown
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Flooding is not one of my gardens problems as it is on a hill, but the ground is saturated. Hope everyone's gardens are ok.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Drove to North London today. Saw four trees down in my locality, two of them very big and old. They would have been relics of the Great North Wood. A total of fourteen down by the time I arrived at my destination, half of these were smaller, more recently planted trees. Saw two more on a partially different route back.

I'm pretty sure it must have been gusts in excess of 70mph that would have brought my local trees down.

It's been a while since I heard a genuine 'howl' to the wind and late last night it was particularly loud :ahhh!: