Yet another storm 23-12-13

fern Rob

Re: Yet another storm 23-12-13

Post by fern Rob »

I saw a tree that had moved the banking near a local stream .
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

It was windy yesterday and overnight, but I think we escaped the worst of it.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

fern Rob wrote:I saw a tree that had moved the banking near a local stream .
Just another episode in the contining banking crisis. :roll:

:lol:
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Didn't go into the garden yesterday and discovered some damage today. Shed felt ripped off and some glass panels on greenhouse smashed. The wind blew inside and knocked off some young palms from the raised staging onto the floor. Had to repot these. Fortunately, I have some spare glass panels, so here's hoping for Friday.

The main casualty in the garden was my eight foot Echium which was horizontal with one tap root sticking out of the ground. Might leave that where it is until after the Friday storm. Then I'll secure it and hope I get the flower display next year.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Another storm tonight and this time here wer in the firing line.. Potential for 80-90mph gusts . We never miss out on the party eventually whether it be rain, snow, frost or wind.. Always expect it!
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Conifers wrote:

I have never seen anyone plant new trees to stabilise the banks.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

fern Rob wrote:
Conifers wrote:

I have never seen anyone plant new trees to stabilise the banks.
That's exactly the trouble, no-one's taking any action to solve it. icon_salut
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I have never seen anyone plant new trees to stabilise the banks.[/quote]
That's exactly the trouble, no-one's taking any action to solve it. icon_salut[/quote]

I personally think that more should be done to protect the east coast cliffs from erosion.
a few palms planted on the beaches :lol: .
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

This storm has intensified dramatically at the last minute on the models, I would argue for coastal areas the situation is potentially dangerous, and I think the Met-office may well unerestimate this based on their current assessments, unless they do another one off update. I'd say 100mph gusts are possible on the coasts of NW England overnight. :shock:
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

This storm has done for my Echium, I think :( I secured it and it held up against the second storm but all the leaves have gone limp.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

stephenprudence wrote:This storm has intensified dramatically at the last minute on the models, I would argue for coastal areas the situation is potentially dangerous, and I think the Met-office may well unerestimate this based on their current assessments, unless they do another one off update. I'd say 100mph gusts are possible on the coasts of NW England overnight. :shock:
Aberdaron (N Wales) got 175 km/h (109 mph) so you were right about the strength (if not quite the location!)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Conifers wrote:
stephenprudence wrote:This storm has intensified dramatically at the last minute on the models, I would argue for coastal areas the situation is potentially dangerous, and I think the Met-office may well unerestimate this based on their current assessments, unless they do another one off update. I'd say 100mph gusts are possible on the coasts of NW England overnight. :shock:
Aberdaron (N Wales) got 175 km/h (109 mph) so you were right about the strength (if not quite the location!)
I didn't see any really high winds in North Wales they even down graded the winds in Scotland. It was almost exclusively the south that was battered.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by fern Rob »

Dave Brown wrote:
Conifers wrote:
I didn't see any really high winds in North Wales they even down graded the winds in Scotland. It was almost exclusively the south that was battered.
It wasn't great here, my poly tunnel as moved across the garden again, the temperature is good but the winds causing to much damage. :(
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

fern Rob wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:
Conifers wrote: Aberdaron (N Wales) got 175 km/h (109 mph) so you were right about the strength (if not quite the location!)
It wasn't great here, my poly tunnel as moved across the garden again, the temperature is good but the winds causing to much damage. :(
but are you talking about Monday 23rd December, or Thurs/Fri 26/27th December ? They are 2 separate storms but I think people are rolling them all into one on this topic.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by fern Rob »

but are you talking about Monday 23rd December, or Thurs/Fri 26/27th December ? They are 2 separate storms but I think people are rolling them all into one on this topic.
Yesterday night wasn't to good, saying that it only really calmed down on Wednesday and then it started again.