America's weather coming to u.k?

Panama Pete

America's weather coming to u.k?

Post by Panama Pete »

Cant belive the temps in the U.S. Will this Polar Vortex be coming our way?

icon_bigsmurf
Last edited by Panama Pete on Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: America's weather coming to u.k?

Post by Dave Brown »

Panama Pete wrote:Cant belive the temps in the U.S. Will this Polar Votex be coming our way?

icon_bigsmurf
Not necessarily, as it is caused by a southward plunge in the jet stream. Similar what happened to us in summer 2012. Jet streams don't move around the globe in the same way. Weather travels along the jet stream and as it is plunging south over there, it's coming up from the south to over here.

Surface level show nothing over the US really, but the Jet Stream level seems active. Then there is upper atmosphere level which seems to have a high speed jet where I would expect to see the vortex. But as I have not viewed this in previous winters, don't know how different, if at all, it is.

The southern hemisphere seems to have a perfect vortex at upper atmosphere level as this time
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by stephenprudence »

We may get systems from USA, but it's highly unlikely we'll get cold.. it has to go through a phasing process, and even if the cold was in theory to make it's way over to the UK, it would need another month or so to do so. If we're going to get any cold, it will be from the east.. alas as yet, nothing showing up for an easterly.
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

That's good, I had a friend that heard bad weather was coming our way in two weeks from the states.... he must be pulling my leg, knowing how many plants I have :lol:

Did some internet searched but nothing came up. Thought I might be missing something.
kata

Post by kata »

Its well known what the USA get in weather, we usually get,

Hopefully no where near as bad as they are having.

icon_cheers
stephenprudence

Well we need to differentiate between pressure systems and weather.. weather being rain, snow, wind etc etc, we don't strictly get the weather from USA, as if we did in Winter we'd be a few zones below what we are.. we do however get some of the pressure systems from USA, but mostly, our own systems develop in the Atlantic after they've left the American continent. Also I find we actually the complete opposite of what NE USA gets. For example if we were to get sub zero freezes in late January, NE USA would get milder weather. If there is one place on the American continent that usually mirrors our weather (relatively of course) and that is Florida. When is frigid in Florida for a long period, it usually is here too.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

stephenprudence wrote:Well we need to differentiate between pressure systems and weather.. weather being rain, snow, wind etc etc, we don't strictly get the weather from USA, as if we did in Winter we'd be a few zones below what we are.. we do however get some of the pressure systems from USA, but mostly, our own systems develop in the Atlantic after they've left the American continent. Also I find we actually the complete opposite of what NE USA gets. For example if we were to get sub zero freezes in late January, NE USA would get milder weather. If there is one place on the American continent that usually mirrors our weather (relatively of course) and that is Florida. When is frigid in Florida for a long period, it usually is here too.
Stephen we talked about this observation some time back , when we get cold winters the US gets a mild one and vice versa, the cold block cant be in 2 places at once !
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Last 'spring' it was cold in both places at once, I reckon.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

kata wrote:Its well known what the USA get in weather, we usually get,
icon_cheers
Eastern SEEBOARD depressions YES, Jet Stream Shifts NO. So the cold over there would have to freeze the Atlantic to arrive here cold :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

I certainly would'nt want this, even half as cold.

Freezing USA braced for -56C in the worst weather for 20 years. And with the windchill factor, the vortex of counterclockwise cold dense air could plunge them further to -56.7C.

Poor peeps.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Nigel wrote:
Stephen we talked about this observation some time back , when we get cold winters the US gets a mild one and vice versa, the cold block cant be in 2 places at once !
Agree.

The Guys in the US are talking about their run of mild winters coming to an end, while we are saying the run of colder winters seems to have come to an end.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

kata wrote:I certainly would'nt want this, even half as cold.

Freezing USA braced for -56C in the worst weather for 20 years. And with the windchill factor, the vortex of counterclockwise cold dense air could plunge them further to -56.7C.

Poor peeps.
Ididn't know they had the Daily Express over there icon_scratch :lol:

Counter clockwise is a low pressure, and it's normally a 'Blocking' high pressure 'clockwise' that spills the Arctic air southward
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Conifers »

Dave Brown wrote:Ididn't know they had the Daily Express over there icon_scratch :lol:
They do, it's just called 'fox news' over there
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I have heard something on the telly about an equatorial "jet stream"?? that reverses direction, and when it does that it seems to be linked to a stronger jetstream for us and storms. Can't remember the name of the event (named after the scientist who discovered it), but they said that it can be predicted a long time in advance and might herald long range forecasting (in the sense of "Strong SW flow" rather than "1.27654mm of rain between 1:12 and 1:24 on XXX date" 8)

Might have been news-media hype though?
stephenprudence

I presume by equatorial jetstream it's meaning the Inter-tropical convergence zone (ITCZ) which moves north and south with the summer/winters, but not very far. It doesn't reverse though.

Dave interesting thought.. yes it hopefully means, for us, a return to 90s style weather in the long run.