America's weather coming to u.k?

Tom2006

Re: America's weather coming to u.k?

Post by Tom2006 »

Heres hoping Steven! The perfect winter here was 06. Hardly any frost like this winter but less wind and rain. America looks bonkers! Currently -35c or lower in places. With windchill Florida is -4c!...now that is likely to decimate many plants.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

stephenprudence wrote:I presume by equatorial jetstream it's meaning the Inter-tropical convergence zone (ITCZ) which moves north and south with the summer/winters, but not very far. It doesn't reverse though.
Sorry Stephen, I should have made a note of the name.

From what I remember of the broadcast it is something at equatorial latitude that always runs East but sometimes switches to run West (it might have been the other way round), rather than wandering North/South a bit. It sounded like it was a relatively new discovery (although surely folk would know about a jet-stream that changed directions? So maybe it was the correlation with Atlantic jet stream and stormy weather in the UK which was the new revelation.)

Whatever the unusual direction is which it can run in then it is doing that now, and it also did it prior to the 1987 storm.

Named after a Prof or Doctor at some University. Sorry, not much to go on!
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

After a quick Google I wonder if it was Prof James McCanney?

And yes, it is the Equatorial Jet Stream, as you say it wonders North/South a bit, and flows westerly. Could it be that periodically it flows Easterly?

Googling "James McCanney" brings up keywords like "Crackpot" and "Vindicated" so I have doubts now whether this is just a Daily Mail type headline, rather than anything that might have some substantive merit
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Possibly a Mail story.

The ITCZ is the area whereby all tropical weather occurs, if you see a global satellite map, you'll notice clusters of Thunderstorms over the equator around Africa/Brazil, this is caused by the ITCZ but this isn't a new discovery. It's not a jet as such, but with the convergence of air from the tropical of Cancer/Capricorn, brings about this entirely convective process. There are no frontal systems in the Tropics, so therefore, no true jetstream either.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I am just being bloody paranoid so take what i say with a pinch of salt please.... :lol: But i keep hearing on the news that the vortex is now moving to the south and east of the USA, forgive me if i am wrong geography was never my strong point at school but if it does keep moving south and east doesn't that mean we have a good chance of experiencing some of this vortex? Again please forgive me if i am well off the mark, i probably am.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

sanatic1234 wrote:I am just being bloody paranoid so take what i say with a pinch of salt please.... :lol: But i keep hearing on the news that the vortex is now moving to the south and east of the USA, forgive me if i am wrong geography was never my strong point at school but if it does keep moving south and east doesn't that mean we have a good chance of experiencing some of this vortex? Again please forgive me if i am well off the mark, i probably am.
The vortex can only suck in cold air over land, and once at sea the air will warm somewhat. Quite a lot hopefully. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nigel »

The UK,s weather is calming down now anyway, so expect temperatures to move towards seasonal norm.
The weather that comes from the states is carried on the warm jetstream , this cold is not part of that.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Thank you Dave and Nigel for clearing that up for me. Much appreciated. :-) Good to know that the chances are low.
eddie

Post by eddie »

The cold air mass from the North Americas reached the Amazon area, causing a hailstorm in tropical Suriname yesterday. They say that something like that never happened before in recorded history?

A bit dark video, but you can see people showing the hail in their hands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... XDoGRuzOVY

Sure hope the cold stays where it is now.....
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas