2014 Australian heatwave

Troppoz

2014 Australian heatwave

Post by Troppoz »

Inland and southern Australia is in the grip of a week long heatwave with many centres recording temperatures well into the 40s! Adelaide reached 45.1c today after hitting 42c yesterday, with 45c forecast for tomorrow, 46c for Thursday and then down to 40c on Friday before a cool change brings it down to 28c. They even have a couple of 30c minimums later in the week! If they do reach 46c on Thursday then that will be another record toppled!

As it turned out our Darwin maximum of 25c today (BRRRR! :shock: ), due to a deep wet monsoon, was 20c LESS than Adelaide and equal record for lowest January maximum temperature! So that means that within the first 2 weeks of January 2014 Darwin has had both record high maximum temperature of over 36c and equal record lowest maximum of 25c...

Same story throughout the southern states with the heatwave, Melbourne reached 43c today and going for 42c tomorrow and Canberra is going for 39c tomorrow. All the inland towns and cities are expecting 40c+ for the rest of the week and there is even talk of Birdsville in central Queensland might break the 50c mark this week!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-14/s ... ld/5199714
kata

Re: 2014 Australian heatwave

Post by kata »

How grand Sean but a bit to much for me.

Weather is so crazy with America shocking freezing last week.

Here its been damp, wet, dark and miserable....but decent temps.

:mrgreen:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I'm desperate for summer would takethose temps but that is crazy hot!....would happily take cold Darwin sounds perfect.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
rburrena

Post by rburrena »

Troppoz wrote:As it turned out our Darwin maximum of 25c today (BRRRR! :shock: )
A few years ago I was in Hong Kong for 2 weeks in early summer, we had about a week of +30C highs and 27C lows. Then something went on and we had a day of 24C high I remember thinking "It's cold" at 24C, I was almost shivering! So I understand, its what you are used to and its amazing how quick you get used to it.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

I must admit Ive been enjoying the cooler weather. Its nice to wear shorts and a tshirt but wanting to put something more on. The usual stories have been circulating about people digging out tracksuits and fluffy socks and having endless cups of hot soup. Im not that bad but my dogs and cats are feeling it, all fluffed up like its winter :lol:

Been having wild gusts this last hour, a tropical low that at one point was expected to develop into a cyclone just passed inland from us and is bringing some strong winds 95km/hr and squally monsoonal rain. It will hopefully bring us some decent rains as the monsoon deepens, make up for the bleedin' hot dry month weve had.

2.00am in Melbourne and its still 37c. Unbelievable! The authorities are expecting a significant death toll from this heatwave, sadly the elderly and infirm are most at risk. They are advising people to attend shopping centres, cinemas and other public venues with airconditioning in a bid to keep casualties down. I hope people heed the warnings and keep an eye on their neighbours, especially if elderly.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Just seen the Australian open tennis coverage on the BBC news.

Playing tennis in 42ºC doesn't sound like fun at all!
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Adam D wrote:Just seen the Australian open tennis coverage on the BBC news.

Playing tennis in 42ºC doesn't sound like fun at all!
Apparently one player saw an elf skipping across the court...just before he collapsed icon_aaargh

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news/ ... e-in-heat/
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I think out of all honestly that tennis event should be cancelled and re-scheduled when things have cooled a little, Even if it does last months. The officials are just putting all people involved lives at risk. Dehydration is a bad thing and not to risked at the expense of a little bit of entertainment. It is silly. The people can drink as much as they like but when they get running about it is soon sweated from the body especially at temperatures like that.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Wish it was summer now.
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

my bro was near trafalgar this morning and saw this from his inlaws farm
f2677dbe7e6511e3940b12026da4bbac_6.jpg
f2677dbe7e6511e3940b12026da4bbac_6.jpg (25.51 KiB) Viewed 2735 times
to this
f098a1f47e7211e397e2122466b7dba2_6.jpg