keep an eye on eastern USA

stephenprudence

keep an eye on eastern USA

Post by stephenprudence »

Forecast has upgraded to heavy snow... Chance of record breaking cold there.. Not so much this week but potential for next weekend... If anyone looks at the models you might say wow... This is their equivalent of our December 2010
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: keep an eye on eastern USA

Post by Dave Brown »

stephenprudence wrote:This is their equivalent of our December 2010
Yes, and it means the earth is still capable of throwing cold at us :ahhh!:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

Oh my giddy aunt, thats all we need,

As we were then.

icon_cheers
stephenprudence

We are always at the line of potential cold, as is anyone north of 35-40 degrees latitude. Thankfully, our cold is nowhere near as bad as Northeastern USA has been getting (inland, their average temperatures are for us a 1963 type winter), and never will be (save for an Ice age).

However there is no suggestion of a 2010 type event.. and were it to occur, it would represent something that's never happened before which is two severe cold episodes within a decade.
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks Stevie,

I don't suppose there is anything to prevent it happening again (2010) really.

icon_sunny
stephenprudence

Well at the moment there is, but in the long run, a 2010 type month or even Winter, is inevitable, the question is a) will anyone be here to see it?, and b) How far into the future will be have to wait?
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

spring soon. :lol:
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

sanatic1234 wrote:spring soon. :lol:
Already here! Hazel catkins are out, pic today icon_thumleft
Attachments
Picture 319a.jpg
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Must admit conifers when i see my clematis in growth today and peony's shooting through the soil i was shocked. rose nodes opening, trachycarpus is slowly growing and other plants. just hope it doesn't prove costly.
stephenprudence

It's not just USA that will be landed with severe cold -- and New York City could well dip to near -20C (the intensity of the snow forecast, along with the cold air.. it's possible).. but also eastern Europe and Central Europe could 'get in on the action', even eastern Netherlands. Cities like Berlin could get down to -17C from tomorrow night onwards. Brrr. Thank god we live in the west of Europe.

There must be a long hot summer coming to balanced this Northern hemisphere cold.

(we are extremely lucky right now)
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

stephenprudence wrote:It's not just USA that will be landed with severe cold -- and New York City could well dip to near -20C (the intensity of the snow forecast, along with the cold air.. it's possible).. but also eastern Europe and Central Europe could 'get in on the action', even eastern Netherlands. Cities like Berlin could get down to -17C from tomorrow night onwards. Brrr. Thank god we live in the west of Europe.

There must be a long hot summer coming to balanced this Northern hemisphere cold.

(we are extremely lucky right now)
Thanks to the Gulf stream. Lots of chatter about stratospheric warming possibly causing more cold air to plunge south in Feb. Let's hope it misses us again. At least the sun is higher and stronger.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Do you think is it likely that the plunging cold and snow in USA eastern seaboard will cause a strengthening of jet stream, and thus prevent the continental block spreading West far enough to hit East Anglia?

Is there increased risk of snow in the boundary between the Atlantic action and the Eastern cold - i.e. are we likely to be in the middle of the two? or is there a fair chance that will be to the East of the UK?

(Actually have I got that wrong? Will the bit-in-the-middle be Southerly winds? thus not cold enough for snow formation perhaps?)
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Yes hopefully that will be the case Kristen. Although a few cold lovers around the www are praying for cold it looks like the jet will fire up and help keep any significant cold at bay.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
stephenprudence

Be vigilant, as the UKMO had thrown out a very bad scenario.. I hope it's not a trend setter, but it shows northeasterly setting up with very cold continental air spreading across the UK in 6 days. This has to be taken seriously as it's not that far away. The GFS half going for a cold spell, and introduces some exceptionally cold night temperatures half way through it's run.. but I think it's another erroneous GFS stunt. ECM thankfully doesn't want to go down that road. But we have to consider that harsh cold is very possible in the next two weeks as the Scandinvian High Pressure starts to exert a westwards influence... lets hope not icon_thumright
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Thanks guys, useful to have your opinions and reading of the charts as always.