Flooding UK, both locally and regionally.

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Flooding UK, both locally and regionally.

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I don't think there is currently a topic on flooding so here it is. The Somerset levels have been flooded over a large area for nearly a month now. The wet weather at the moment will be adding to the misery for hundreds of people right now.

This topic could have been started in the weather, wildlife, off-topic or main forum as it affects so many aspects of life. So what are you thoughts and experiences right now regarding:

Flooding and how it's affecting daily life?

Gardens, plants being submerged for days, weeks, will they survive?

Wildlife, animals being displaced, drowned, hibernation disturbed?

Will the weather continue? Will any snow/cold spell mean areas will be frozen solid?

On a local level how's your garden doing even if not in the "real" flooded areas?

My garden has had small areas of standing water since Xmas. Today the parts of the lawn and drive have surface water on them with no where to go. Luckily not that many plants are planted out and none in the worst areas at all.

Sorry for rambling on. I'm stuck in the house AGAIN because of the weather, twiddling my thumbs when I want to be gardening!
kata

Re: Flooding UK, both locally and regionally.

Post by kata »

I know how you feel Kris,

I have plants and palms with grass growing round them for want of trimming but the garden is just a very wet mess.

If Ferns love water they're having a ball.

I watched the news yesterday; did you see the water guns putting back the fllooding... :ahhh!:

Its fine to keep moaning about being indoors. get ya wellies on an go a family walk. :lol:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

I'm 276 feet above sea level, not sure how that compares to the floodplain areas icon_scratch

Had a wonder around the garden earlier once the skies cleared, and due to the torrential downpour this morning the grass was very soggy, and a couple of trachys are looking a little yellow tinged from a mild wet winter.

This morning driving to the farm, one of the fields was spilling out a mini waterfall onto the farm track and then heading down the hill, a right mini torrent, a car got stuck on the same field last week in deep mud.

Thats about the extent of it here though, soggy lawn, and gloopy fields, occasional bit of standing water on the roads after a heavy downpour.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

My garden is sodden but fortunately I'm on a slight slope so no standing water. We've had so much rain that the front (north facing) of our house which is painted white is starting to have algae growing on it. First winter in 8 that this has happened. But thats minor compared to others troubles.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

The pavements around here are starting to grow moss on them, this started a few years ago and has progressed to quite a nice carpet. People walking on it dont seem to damage it.
kata

Post by kata »

our house which is painted white is starting to have algae growing on it.
Tom is cultivating Biofuels for free... :lol: :lol: :lol:
tomalge.jpg
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Various plants almost drowned up here during summer 2012 and this winter has been even wetter.

Whilst there isn't much in the way of visible water in my back garden I reckon that the ground is so saturated that it is as good as flooded in terms of the plants sitting in flooded ground.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

It's getting serious now for some.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25908098
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I am sure to loose some stuff due the water sitting....
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

My lawn is soggy where it gets trodden on the most, but the rest of the garden is ok.
billdango

Post by billdango »

No flooding in Southampton as far as I can see but I have just returned from a six week holiday in the tropics so I just don,t know what happened while I was away?

I have only forum members blogs to catch up on but it seems Southampton got away with it again.

I checked my side entrance thermometer and the lowest it had recorded while I was away [9.12.13 to 20.1.14 ] was +1c.

How much rain has fallen in Southampton since that date I just don,t know.

I did notice a lot of tree damage and the fence in the St Denys palm garden was smashed to pieces.

I had no damage to plants or fences in my garden which was unusual because I live on a corner and its often corner houses that get damaged the most during strong winds?

billdango :D
kata

Post by kata »

We worried about frost,

I think all this rain with the palms and plants feet in it all winter is far worse. At least we can wrap against frost.

icon_cheers
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

kata wrote:We worried about frost,

I think all this rain with the palms and plants feet in it all winter is far worse. At least we can wrap against frost.

icon_cheers
chucking it down again here Kata, I want my lawn to dry out now, so a bit of frost is more than welcome! icon_thumbdown
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

My garden is draining fairly well, despite already having had 83mm for the month in terms of rainfall.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Representing one of a few from HTUK in South London, my garden will never have a flooding problem simply because I have drainage holes above the pavement in the loading wall that runs along the bottom of my plot. They have been dribbling water nonstop all winter.

However, just how wet this area has been is better illustrated by the flooding on my plots at the local allotment site just half a mile away. The entire site slopes and both my plots are halfway up/down the site. The wet weather has meant I'm still trying to dig out potatoes and just last week I started to lift a new row from the lowest side and the hole dug by the edge of the run completely filled with water in seconds spilling over the grass pathway into the next plot downslope :shock: There had been hardly any rain for a few days but this water was all the soakaway from the upper levels.

My half-plot which is mostly fruit and slopes down to a brick wall separating me from a private garden has had the bottom quarter submerged under water for well over a month.

Not seen this much H20 there in the twenty three years on that site.