Mildest winter 2013/14??

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Mildest winter 2013/14??

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Well so far so mild to average. So are we online to have one of the mildest winters on record?
tropical Tom

Re: Mildest winter 2013/14??

Post by tropical Tom »

If it stays like this then i would think so! We've had snow showers this morning but back to mild weather by tomorrow :D My dicksonias and my basjoos havn't been wrapped at all so far and they're all still in full leaf!
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Mildest is questionable as its been fairly average but... Definitely one of the least frosty and snowy Winters as it stands. That said we have a third of Winter still to go so it could all change.

Last night by a miracle we avoided an air frost here, and if we manage the same to night it'll be the first January since 2006 that no temperatures below 0C were recorded. Quite an unusual feat.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

tropical Tom wrote:If it stays like this then i would think so! We've had snow showers this morning but back to mild weather by tomorrow :D My dicksonias and my basjoos haven't been wrapped at all so far and they're all still in full leaf!
I have two basjoo's wrapped and one unwrapped as I was going to do a little experiment to see if wrapping really is beneficial in terms of advantages in growth. But the wrapped ones so far didn't even need wrapping so far this winter. The unwrapped one is still looking great apart from the leaves that are just dead. The stem is looking fantastic. Just wondering how the wrapped ones are doing. Hopefully not growth in that mild period.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

stephenprudence wrote:Mildest is questionable as its been fairly average but... Definitely one of the least frosty and snowy Winters as it stands. That said we have a third of Winter still to go so it could all change.
To me, mildest and least frosty are almost synonymous.

That said, it's been above average here, 7.5C so far (from a station I believe approximates my part of town well, although my garden must be warmer). 2 more days of January to go and it's below average right now, so it will drop but not below 7C.
stephenprudence

Here 2007-08 was milder than this season so far, yet it has more frosts, it's just the milder incursions were more frequent, and generally milder when the mild spells came. Interestingly that year I recorded the most 15C temperature Ive recorded since I started, and more amazingly they all occurred at night in Foehn winds.

2006-7 here was the ultimate Winter, not one air frost.. something that probably won't ever be repeated again in my life.. however should February be either frost free, or only deliver a few frosts, then this year will come in the top three of all time frost free Winters.

There has been still, numerous mild days this Winter, and in that case, it will probably finish in the top 15 of all time mild Winters (in terms of the mean temperature)
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Well, prior to last night the temperature here had not dropped below 6C , let alone 0C, it is pity that it didnt last until month end because I seriously doubt that record would ever get beaten.
If this goes on into February as they predict, I would guess we would be on for one of mildest winters on record.
It does feel cold today though, its first time i have felt cold outside in a t-shirt this month.
billdango

Post by billdango »

Today has been one of the coldest days this winter so far at +5c.

But at least the cloud cover has kept it frost free so far these last 2 days.

So i,m not complaining.

billdango :D
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Nigel wrote:Well, prior to last night the temperature here had not dropped below 6C , let alone 0C, it is pity that it didnt last until month end because I seriously doubt that record would ever get beaten.
If this goes on into February as they predict, I would guess we would be on for one of mildest winters on record.
It does feel cold today though, its first time i have felt cold outside in a t-shirt this month.
I must live in a different country, 7 air frosts this winter, and 3 in Jan, coldest -2.5C.

In 30 years I've never had a frost free winter so I must be in the coldest part of the country :ahhh!:

Many people regard 2010 winter as a really cold one, but it was only about a 3 week period in that winter that was cold, the rest of the winter was mild, so I'd be careful of saying anything about this winter as we're only 2/3rds through. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by cordyman »

I've had to deicer the car once this year, and that was back in December!

Temps I believe locally to me are on trend for LTA, its the lack of frost/ice/snow/ which is giving it the mild crown for me icon_salut

Is the atlantic to thank for winter thus far?
stephenprudence

cordyman wrote:I've had to deicer the car once this year, and that was back in December!

Temps I believe locally to me are on trend for LTA, its the lack of frost/ice/snow/ which is giving it the mild crown for me icon_salut

Is the atlantic to thank for winter thus far?
Not entirely, although it had played hand, if only as a cause rather than the reason. The real reason why we have had a mild Winter, is the same reason that Eastern USA has had one of their coldest Winters on record. The Polar Vortex and associated Canadian High will have had the biggest hand. Funnily enough, when the Pacific Northwest had their bad start to Winter, we could have had a cold winter evolution, had that setup not spread eastwards. So actually it's as much the luck of the draw as anything.

It's worth noting that we actually have the same pattern that brought USA their very cold weather, the vortex is now positioned over us, but obviously, minus the very cold weather, thanks to the Atlantic. The Canadian High is hanging on meaning we're safe for now -- however of the Canadian High diminishes, and the Greenland High comes up, then "te toca-a-ti" as they say in Spain!
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Dave, the non stop westerlies or south westerlies have ensured the west stays very mild this winter , i know our average is way above the country for once. Air cools as it travels over land at night under clear skies , so westerlies will always be colder for you at night when the sky clears in same way easterlies or northerlies are always worst for us, its just that we have not had any of the latter this year icon_cheers .
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Dave Brown wrote:
Nigel wrote:Well, prior to last night the temperature here had not dropped below 6C , let alone 0C, it is pity that it didnt last until month end because I seriously doubt that record would ever get beaten.
I must live in a different country, 7 air frosts this winter, and 3 in Jan, coldest -2.5C.

In 30 years I've never had a frost free winter so I must be in the coldest part of the country :ahhh!:

Many people regard 2010 winter as a really cold one, but it was only about a 3 week period in that winter that was cold, the rest of the winter was mild, so I'd be careful of saying anything about this winter as we're only 2/3rds through. :wink:
Only cold for 3 weeks?

We had snow on the ground for 6 weeks (it was like living in The Alps).

Half of winter 2010/11 up here was 'orrible.
jcec1

Post by jcec1 »

It's been frost free here in central London, the lowest was 0.2C so it was a close call. The last frost free winter was back in 2008, however it has only dropped to -5.0C since then. I can't recall having a frost in March, with all the buildings around any sun we get is radiated back into the neighbourhood at night.
billdango

Post by billdango »

No frost at all in Southampton since the beginning of December last year so its been quite mild I think.

As I was away on holiday from Dec 9th till Jan 20th My thermometer in my side entrance recorded a minimum of +1c and a maximum of +14c during those 6 weeks of my abscence.

January was slightly below average on sun hours according to my ameteur weather recording friend but well above average for rainfall and wind.

February is well up on sun hours so far and rainfall as well.

The maximum I have recorded so far is +14c.

And the minimum that I have recorded is +4c.

But I warn everyone on this forum to be very wary of March as some cold nights can still occur as its not to late for a spell of those dreaded north easterlies?

billdango :D