Very stormy period coming up

sanatic1234

Re: Very stormy period coming up

Post by sanatic1234 »

leunerj wrote:
Dave Brown wrote: I went up a ladder and started stripping this morning, but butty'ell it was cold
What did you expect taking all your clothes off at the top of a ladder? :lol:
I did think the same when reading that till it got to the trachycarpus part. I was thinking stripping up a ladder what will his neighbors think :lol:
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Extremely heavy gusts and rain.
Feels cold outside although temp is 8c.
Gave up planting some stuff in pots out when my hands and feet froze!
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Seems to have calmed down at the moment, I'm sure there will be more wind and rain to come :( .
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Very severe wet weather on route over the next week or two. Could be well in excess of 100-150mm over the west and south west regions with frequent high winds/gales. No snow but very bad news for those already flooded. Spring can't come soon enough.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Cornwall will face biggest waves in the world on wednesday with 80mph gusts apparently. OK mild and frost free is great, but I think i would settle for a few frosts now ( not severe) if only to dry things up.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Nigel wrote:Cornwall will face biggest waves in the world on wednesday with 80mph gusts apparently. OK mild and frost free is great, but I think i would settle for a few frosts now ( not severe) if only to dry things up.
here here!

Realistically what can frosts even damage this time of year? No one in there right mind has tenders out etc
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

A very springlike calm to the weather today. Just how much of a storm is this heralding?
rburrena

Post by rburrena »

cordyman wrote:
Nigel wrote:Cornwall will face biggest waves in the world on wednesday with 80mph gusts apparently. OK mild and frost free is great, but I think i would settle for a few frosts now ( not severe) if only to dry things up.
here here!

Realistically what can frosts even damage this time of year? No one in there right mind has tenders out etc
I don't agree. Personally I'd like to see my Musa basjoo stems survive for the first time without being cut to the ground, I'd like my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP to come through its first winter without protection of any kind, and I have a couple of experiments in the ground that would give me great pleasure to see come through the winter. Maybe I am not in my right mind? :lol: :lol:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

GREVILLE wrote:A very springlike calm to the weather today. Just how much of a storm is this heralding?
A very nasty one. Be prepared. Im taking my polyhouse down (what's left of it following repairs) later today.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

cordyman wrote:
here here!

Frost can damage whatever it wants to cordy, it just depends how bad of a one we get! It isn't spring yet, we are still very much in winter even if it is in the later stages of winter. We had a 4 month winter last year remember what is to say it won't happen again? Yes this winter has been very much different to last year but we could even end up having our winter in the spring? I would rather have the mild/wet any day. once it warms up it will soon dry out the soil anyway.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Yep heaven forbid we have our winter in the spring again... but i dont think it can happen, surface temps are way above this time last year on our side of the pond and pattern is completely different.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

cordyman wrote: No one in there right mind has tenders out etc
I think you'll find that most people have things outside when possible over winter, only a few cut things down and pack away for winter in October.

After the appalling winter/spring last year I think we're owed a mild one right the way through. Doubt we'll get it though :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by stephenprudence »

Schefflera arboricola and Bougainvillea glabra are still trying to grow.. :mrgreen:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Nigel wrote:Yep heaven forbid we have our winter in the spring again... but i dont think it can happen, surface temps are way above this time last year on our side of the pond and pattern is completely different.
That is a sigh of relief nigel. :) icon_thumright
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Nigel wrote:Yep heaven forbid we have our winter in the spring again... but i dont think it can happen, surface temps are way above this time last year on our side of the pond and pattern is completely different.

This is good to know icon_salut