Very stormy period coming up

stephenprudence

Very stormy period coming up

Post by stephenprudence »

Im going to stick my head up and say this Winter may well be the stormiest Winter ever recorded, also on top of that, the upcoming period in February maybe the windiest period on record in terms of mean wind gusts and speeds, I suspect it will easily beat the earlier winter storm hands down.

Tomorrow will see some serious coastal flooding, and some harsh gales in places, especially along SW facing exposure. Further onto next week we see some potentially severe, if not hazardous winds for Cornwall, then thereafter lows spawning some strong winds over the UK along the course of time.

It's a potential serious situation, and so much so the loss of life is a big possibility on the coast if people are not careful.

First one tomorrow, there could be some big gusts, easily widespread 50-70mph gusts.
cordyman

Re: Very stormy period coming up

Post by cordyman »

I'd prefer some cooler drier weather than more storms! (no super cool) just usual brisk feb weather please, with some crispy blue skies :lol:
stephenprudence

tough, you're getting storms :!:
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Thanks for the warning Stephen.

Is your warning UK-wide or for those who aren't used to strong winds in the winter?

50-70mph gusts are a normal winter blow up here.

Or will it get worse?
stephenprudence

Well it's for coastal areas really.. coastal defences have been severely comprimised this winter and they may not be able to take another battering in some places.

However, the heavy rain that is forecast in the next week, up to 90mm in the next 7 days for parts of SW England, could result in some long lasting severe flooding widespread.
kata

Post by kata »

I heard that and shopped for a few days yesterday,

Its cold but calm at the minute.

I expected monsoon type rain, very high winds, all watched from my window...not happened although it snowed some in Blackburn I believe yesterday.

icon_cheers
stephenprudence

its blowing a gale here, so it'll be there soon.. maybe not as strong as here though.
multim

Post by multim »

Not too bad here. Clear skies max wind gust 20mph - the best day for a while. I even washed the car, when typically an old Wife walked by and said ''You'll make it rain''. Okay, old Wife I replied, any suggestions to make it STOP RAINING for a few days??!
Yes it has been the wettest Winter that I can remember, but it is what it is........there is nothing any of us can do about it, now can we?
Sales of welly boots are up - and snow shovels are down.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Strong Wind and Gales !!.
Normal weather down here on the south coast :roll:
Leigh
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Clear blue skies till 12pm then band of rain passed over, now dry and overcast but with the wind picking up rather bitter :lol:
dino

Post by dino »

Gales and driving rain most of the day here. Really horrible icon_thumbdown
billdango

Post by billdango »

Sunny all morning but gales picking up this evening with some light showers.

At least winters back to normal?

billdango :D
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Gales here. Going to take my polyhouse down I think.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
kata

Post by kata »

Same as Dino this afternoon.

:mrgreen:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

My view is that if we keep this stormy weather going for the next 3 weeks the worst of winter will be over, and as solar input outweighs radiation cooling from 19th January onward, any cold spells are unlikely to be 'killing cold'.

I went up a ladder and started stripping this morning, but butty'ell it was cold, the windchill was terrible. Winds were gusting to 30mph with windchill as low as -0.5C. Wind has strengthened over the afternoon and evening with strongest 45mph.

This is not THAT windy, just an average windy day :wink:

Trachycarpus stripping this morning
2014-02-01 12-04-02 Fred Fibre stripping.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright