On the other hand..

stephenprudence

On the other hand..

Post by stephenprudence »

We always bang on about the best place to live in UK for weather and exotic gardening..

Well which is the worst place to live in for weather in the UK

I'd say I have to break it down.

Scotland would almost certainly be the central lowlands perhaps around Glasgow, consistently wet, with severe frosts at times.

England, perhaps Cumbria, especially inland, it's quite difficult to grow in a place that's both wet and cold all year around...

Wales: The area around Lake Bala is both wet and cold in Winter and summer.

I would have said my location, but it's not quite as bad as these... still bad though! ;)
Adam D

Re: On the other hand..

Post by Adam D »

LOL Stephen!

Lots of places up here in Scotland are keek for exotic gardening.

I feel sorry for Huphora, she may not get the extreme cold that we do, but the incessant wind and rain must be ball-breaking :(

I don't know much about Wales' geography to comment, but in England the wilds of the NE or NW must be pretty grim for exotic plants.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

........Anywhere on any single day in the UK that has stairods rain under as black as night sky and an all day temperature of +3.5c .........repeatedly :(
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

GREVILLE wrote:........Anywhere on any single day in the UK that has stairods rain under as black as night sky and an all day temperature of +3.5c .........repeatedly :(
Welcome to my world!

I guess that you don't get weather like that down south that regularly ;)
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

GREVILLE wrote:........Anywhere on any single day in the UK that has stairods rain under as black as night sky and an all day temperature of +3.5c .........repeatedly :(
Welcome to my world!

I guess that you don't get weather like that down south that regularly ;)
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

High tops of the Cairngorms. Arctic tundra, and Britain's - if not Europe's - windiest place, with 278 km/h recorded.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Winter weathers not to good here.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I am sure bristol is far from the best as its one of the wettest places in the country, wind funnels up the bristol channel and when its 25C and sunny in London ( or daves garden) its usually 20c here ( or worse) .Its situated at south western end of an enormous frost pocket that runs up to swindon, so in winter when wind is from east or north it usually means one of coldest places in the country.
I am equally sure though its not one of the worst places though, there are a lot worse.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Scotland - Everywhere not coastal
England - Anywhere not coastal or without having millions of people and buildings artificially heating it
Wales - Everywhere not coastal and having a roof on it to keep out the rain
Ireland - see Wales
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Wind is a major problem as it makes micro-climates more difficult to create.

Places way inland may have worse winters but will probably have warmer summers than coastal. In terms of exotics gardening it depends on what you are trying to grow. In cool summer/mild winter locations New Zealand plants will thrive. Where plants that like warmer summers would be better inland and protected over winter.

So many variables :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by stephenprudence »

unfortunately I garden in a cold microclimate with bad soil, and plants struggle, but that's part of the challenge, and what makes it so enjoyable. Its probably easier to grow any kind of exotic inland, than it is here.. but here you get more satisfaction when things go right.. perhaps.
rufc15lizzie

Post by rufc15lizzie »

I would say Buxton where I work, Harpur Hill.
it seems to have its own cold, windy, foggy, rainy micro climate alll year round. Mostly due to the altitude I guess.
in summer I can leave a blue sky sunny rotherham to a foggy rainy Buxton all day then come back home to lovely sun and retired neighbours saying how wonderful the weather has been.
same in winter, blizzards in Buxton then 15 minutes down the road in Bakewell it 3 degrees warmer and nothing.

Post by el paso »

I would second buxton you only have to travel 15minutes in any direction as mentioned and its like another world sometimes
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

I bet it's pretty grim up in Harthill in the middle of the central belt.