On the other hand..

cordyman

Re: On the other hand..

Post by cordyman »

rufc15lizzie wrote:I would say Buxton where I work, Harpur Hill.
it seems to have its own cold, windy, foggy, rainy micro climate alll year round. Mostly due to the altitude I guess.
in summer I can leave a blue sky sunny rotherham to a foggy rainy Buxton all day then come back home to lovely sun and retired neighbours saying how wonderful the weather has been.
same in winter, blizzards in Buxton then 15 minutes down the road in Bakewell it 3 degrees warmer and nothing.

I always find buxton warm and sunny, used to go there a lot as a kid, and go for walks up to solomons temple in the summer. Guess I either pick the right days or just fluke, but my perception of it is quite nice :lol:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

it seems to have its own cold, windy, foggy, rainy micro climate alll year round. Mostly due to the altitude I guess.
in summer I can leave a blue sky sunny rotherham to a foggy rainy Buxton all day then come back home to lovely sun and retired neighbours saying how wonderful the weather has been.
same in winter, blizzards in Buxton then 15 minutes down the road in Bakewell it 3 degrees warmer and nothing.

I always find buxton warm and sunny, used to go there a lot as a kid, and go for walks up to solomons temple in the summer. Guess I either pick the right days or just fluke, but my perception of it is quite nice :lol:
rufc15lizzie

Post by rufc15lizzie »

el paso wrote:I would second buxton you only have to travel 15minutes in any direction as mentioned and its like another world sometimes
How do you go with tropicals in Buxton? I guess some areas in the centre are sheltered from the winds, such as round the pavillion gardens?

Post by rufc15lizzie »

cordyman wrote:

It can have its nice days, but id say you were lucky.

Post by el paso »

rufc15lizzie wrote:
el paso wrote:I would second buxton you only have to travel 15minutes in any direction as mentioned and its like another world sometimes
How do you go with tropicals in Buxton? I guess some areas in the centre are sheltered from the winds, such as round the pavillion gardens?
I mainly stick to pretty much hardy things such as trachys, fatsia and bamboo as a back drop then add bits such as canna ,ensette maurelli , basjoo. They dont grow to bad really considering my location but i get nowhere near the growth that the majority of members get.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Although my climate is iffy, there is one good thing about my climate and that is the prevalence of Foehn winds, meaning we often can record the highest temperature in UK in Winter when it occurs.